Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oil for Canteen Stove?

Hi All,

I am super encouraged by the wonderful feed back concerning the Canteen Lamp Stove. It was well wotrth getting George McGillis to make them for me to sell.

I love to find the unique items that were issued and offer them on a limited basis.

Here are some pics of it again fro those of you who want to see it.

I have 1 actually in the shop looking for a home and 7 more that can be made up and sent off.

As for future projects for the next year. I am looking into colaberating with John Peterson to make a copy of a folding pocket lantern that is in my collection and is the same as one pictured in Echoes of Glory of the Union. The mechanical drawings are a real challenge to do so it can be reproduced.

Would anyone be interested in such a project?

Don S
    Attached Files
    Don F Smith

Comment

Don:

Heck yes! I have been going commando because my Village one (not based on much) took a hit at W'64, 2006 installment. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Again, I must reiterate, using this stuff is the bomb.
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Well I tried olive oil last night in my canteen stove. I had high hopes for it, but unfortunately it did not work well. The wick was well saturated first, then oil was put into the canteen. I lit the wick and it burned well for about 10 minutes, then went out and smoldered. I pulled the wick out and and it was dry towards the top, but plenty moist at the bottom. I again soaked the entire wick and tried it again. Got the same result, the flame went out after about 10 minutes. Upon examination of the wick, it was again dry towards the top. My conclusion is that the olive oil is too thick to be drawn up by capillary action in this type of wick. BTW, the wick is a 7/8" wide flat wick. I was using typical supermarket olive oil.

Can the olive oil be safely thinned out or is my best course of action to go with standard clear lamp oil?

BTW - there is nothing wrong with the canteen stove, it is great. This is simply a matter of finding the best fuel for it.

Thanks,

Steve Blancard
        Steve Blancard
        Corporal
        13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Hi All,

The best oil to use in the stove is plain old Uncented Lamp Oil. It burns properly and gives adiquate heat and light.

In a pinch a candle can be incerted into the wick spout and used as well.

Hope this helps

All the best

Don S
          Don F Smith

Comment

As for future projects for the next year. I am looking into colaberating with John Peterson to make a copy of a folding pocket lantern that is in my collection and is the same as one pictured in Echoes of Glory of the Union. The mechanical drawings are a real challenge to do so it can be reproduced.

Would anyone be interested in such a project?

Don S
            Hi,

If you ever make one, I would be very interested.
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Yes on the folding lantern.
              Robert Carter
              69th NYSV, Co. A
              justrobnj@gmail.com
              www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Ditto on the folding lantern project.., me too please!
                Jim Smith, Volunteer Co., (UK)

Comment

Meanwhile, back at the lamp oil discussion....

I finally picked up some clear, unscented lamp oil. After clearning out the stove and wick again, I filled it with the clear lamp oil. It burns very nicely, with almost no soot.

So, from my un-scientific tests of citronella oil, sweet (olive) oil and clear lamp oil, the clear lamp oil was the best choice.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions,

Steve Blancard
                  Co.A, 13th Va. Inf.
                  Steve Blancard
                  Corporal
                  13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Yes on the folding lantern.
                    M. Gwendolyne Betz
                    (Mary G. Betz)
                    [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]