X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issac and Campbell Pack qestions

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
    Paul, Andrew and Sam,
    I believe the canvas vs linen complaint was directed at another vendor who makes the same pack, and not Serio as I originally printed, my mistake. I went through 3 years of checking the facts with notes from the originals and construction method before I gave up, and lucked up getting a Sam Haywood I&C on the second hand market.
    No harm. No foul.
    "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
    1st Missouri Battalion
    Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Doug and Folks,

The McRae Papers show that Huse disallowed every frame delivered by I&C. I've never seen one mention of them other than on the early invoices. Hope this helps.

Neill Rose
      PLHA

Comment

Patrick,
        I have examined an original I&C pack and it appeared to be made from cotton. There was a slight chance that it could have been hemp canvas, but from the fibers I looked at with a magnifying glass it looked like cotton. Also the leather pieces were made from bridle leather not buff. And if it wasn't bridle leather it was just nicely black balled oak tanned leather. One thing that separates this pack from the others in collection is that it was probably sent to the CSA in kit form and assembled in the southern states. Reason for this is the hardware is different and there are some slight variations in construction techniques. Pictures to follow.
        Attached Files
        Wade Rogers

Comment

Since I do not have the ability to post images, if anyone who does can email me I will attach images of the Ross Knapsack (not all English Import Knapsack were I&C) I will send pictures of what I am talking about.
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

I bought a "Confederate" knapsack from Blockade Runner. I pulled it out to see what kind of material it was made with and I cannot really tell if its linen. It looks and feels like canvas. It doesnt have any stamps on it that say it is an I & C or any manufacturer, so does anyone know of any knapsacks that were manufactured with canvas in England or in the south?

Thanks,

Andrew Gale
            Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
            Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
            Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
            Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
            Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
            Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
            sigpic

Comment

Hi,

CS Mexican War pattern knapsacks and Pritchard knapsacks are made out of cotton canvas, or some other cotton material (I can not remember). After going to Blockade Runners website, I did not find any I&C knapsacks. They have listed what they call "I&C" knapsack, but it looks to me like a Kibbler knapsack. From reviewing their site, I would be very cautious about the items sold. While I have never seen their products in person, the items listed do not look very promising. While some of the general shapes are correct; material, construction, and hardware are not. For knapsacks, you would most likely be better off getting them from LD Haning, Trans-Mississippi Depot, Missouri Boot and Shoe, or NJ**************.

Andrew
              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

Many thanks!

Andrew Gale
                Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

I must say that the LD Haning Kibbler looks really nice. Anyone own one?
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

Hi,

I own one, and I really like it. You can see several pictures of it if you goto to my profile page.

Andrew
                    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by unclefrank View Post
                      I must say that the LD Haning Kibbler looks really nice. Anyone own one?
                      Tim Welch (LD Haning) does an excellent job on this knapsack - even the angle of the stitching on the bag is correct to the original. We are lucky to have two great makers of Mexican War pattern knapsacks - Don Smith and Tim Welch.

Avoid Blockade Runner. Nuff said.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Avoid Blockade Runner. Nuff said

Ewwwwwwww
                        Frank Perkin

Comment

Like others have said the LD Haning pack is a great repro - well worth having. I also own a Serio I&C and I am very happy with it. If you want buff interior straps - he'll do it. If you want waxed-flesh shoulder-straps - he'll do it. I even got a frame for it ($15 extra). Point is, Robert Serio does some great work and if you send him pics of an original and say "I want this or that" or say "based on such and such I think this should be like..." - he'll do it. He's more than happy to to do something different if it means doing something correctly. Good luck with your choice.
                          -Garrett
                          Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
                          [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks for the information. I got to get a new list of sutlers together that offer items that are more authentic.

Andrew Gale
                            Last edited by lojafan; 11-16-2008, 11:30 PM.
                            Andrew Gale

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X