Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdued rank placement question

Gentlemen,

After searching here and elsewhere I'm forced to ask the following question: do any of you have any original images or examples of the typical placement of subdued officer's rank? I have seen collar, shoulder, & chest, but I want to see as many original examples as possible. I've tried several ways to find them both here and elsewhere but am coming up empty handed. I'd appreciate any help as I need to make a decision asap.
    Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Re: Subdued rank placement question

Joe,
    I do not recall where I found the photo, but I had one on file of an officer with a rank circlet on his hat. I'll see if I can find it.
    Andre Wagner
    Surgeon
    147th Reg't PA Vol.

Comment

Joe,

Wish I could help with "chapter and verse" but when I was first investigating, I found at least one example of an officer with a commercial sack with a collar folded down like a modern suit coat (as opposed to buttoned to the neck like an enlisted man's fatigue blouse). He had sewn his insignia on his collar. He was a captain. The thing I found interesting was the photo was an image of a court martial commission in the Army of the Potomac around the end of July, 1863. It's the earliest I've been able to document subdued rank worn in the Army of the Potomac.

I look forward to seeing what others have to offer.

Yours,

Will
      Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
      Saginaw City Light Infantry
      Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
      Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
      http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
      www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,you beat me to that photo, its in my archive also:wink_smil
          Andre Wagner
          Surgeon
          147th Reg't PA Vol.

Comment

Here is a couple of photos that you have probably seen. A couple placed on collar and one with it on the front of the shoulders.

Mike Pretus
            Attached Files

Semper Fidelis,
            Mike Pretus
            16th LA Inf

Comment

Originally posted by Will Eichler View Post
              I found at least one example of an officer with a commercial sack with a collar folded down like a modern suit coat (as opposed to buttoned to the neck like an enlisted man's fatigue blouse). He had sewn his insignia on his collar. He was a captain.
              Thanks for this. I think it's what I'm looking for exactly. If you have the picture it would be great to see it. Short of that, let me be a little more specific. I have a private purchase sack coat with a slightly wider collar (so as not to be confusing, there is no lapel). If I put it on the collar, does it matter whether I place it vertical, following the axis of the body for instance, or at a 45 degree angle like in modern examples?

I realize that this was a variation from the SOP, so maybe the answer is to feel the freedom to just to go with whatever I intuitively want, as they might have then. But the absence of knowing what was actually done is having the opposite effect. I do not want to guess when it comes to this stuff, but I'm having very little luck finding primary sources (i.e. photos).

I hope that clarifies my aims, and that it leads to oodles of pictures that I cannot seem to find. Thanks to those who have already responded. You've been a big help and I thank you.

Respectfully,
              Joe Marti

Comment

Originally posted by LejeuneMarine View Post
                Here is a couple of photos that you have probably seen. A couple placed on collar and one with it on the front of the shoulders.

Mike Pretus
                Hey, this is just the thing! I've never seen anything like the captain second from the right with the insignia on the front of the shoulder. I'll bet he's the only one you'll find like that. The leftmost captain as well is pretty interesting in the indifference to placement there seems to be. The leftmost captain's left bars look parallel to the ground, as they would be if on the shoulder. The right bars look like they're at more of an oblique angle. Maybe the collar is roughed up or something, but it is interesting to see.

Thanks a lot and Semper Fi back to you.

Respectfully,
                Joe Marti

Comment

Joe,
                  For your study, here is an image of a young captain with the 5th Iowa Cavalry. I don't know the lad's name, but he's sporting the cut-down rank insignia. Image was struck in Nashville.
                  Mark Warren
                  Hairy Nation
                  Bloomfield, Iowa
                  Attached Files
                  [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                  "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                  Mark Warren
                  Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

A couple weeks ago, I noticed a photo of an officer with reduced rank, and I wish I recall the source. He was either a major or lieutenant colonel wearing shoulder boards. The odd thing about the boards was that gold boarders had either been cut before installation or the boards were produced without the gold boarder. Each was the usual long rectangle with a leaf at each end of the rectangle.

This is a minimized rank alternative, but which conforms to the traditional shoulder placement.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Joe,
                      I will have to look for it but a month ago I found another pic of a Captain with the bars on the front shoulder. I found it pretty strange as well. From what I remember, it was a picture of a staff together and he was the only oddball while everyone else had boards or no rank (that I could see).

Mike Pretus

Semper Fidelis,
                      Mike Pretus
                      16th LA Inf

Comment

To Joe: Please excuse me not having gotten back with you about this...but life has dealt me bigger fish to fry these past few days.

To everyone who has posted on this thread: thanks for helping Joe out! He asked me this same question but I have been unable to find time to respond to his inquiries.

GREAT Pics - BTW! Some really good stuff here.
                        PATRICK CRADDOCK
                        Prometheus No. 851
                        Franklin, Tennessee
                        Widows' Sons Mess
                        www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Hey, thanks again everyone. I asked, you answered, and the results were all new to me and very relevant.

Patrick, let me get this straight: the world doesn't revolve around me? No hard feelings whatsoever. I thank you again for creating this problem when you sold me this subdued rank! I hope your fish-fry goes well. I contacted more people than just you about this, so don't feel bad at all. Mostly I just wanted to say honestly that I exhausted all other sources before I did the nearly-unthinkable and posted a question.

These examples are not only great for research but also for a guide. I feel my question has been answered to my immediate satisfaction.

Thanks again and fare thee well!
                          Joe Marti

Comment

Well, here's what I came up with. I'm mostly looking for any criticism if it doesn't look right. I based it in part off the attached photo.
                            Attached Files
                            Joe Marti

Comment

California Joe:

"Bealeton, Virginia. Company I, 93d New York Infantry Officers and non-commissioned officers" August 1863. (LC-DIG-cwpb-04013)
                              Attached Files
                              Jason C. Spellman
                              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
                              X