This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying gear

So I'm attending the Backwaters even in March. In their uniform guidelines, they suggest bringing a federal issue blanket, a poncho or gum blanket, as well as a shelter half. They also discourage the use of knapsacks though. How is one to carry all of this? That's too much for a comfortable horse collar. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm willing to go without a shelter half, but I think they may want me to bring one. Thanks.
    Brian Mott

Iron Rooster Mess

Backwaters 2010 Mud March

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Carrying gear

Just a thought...wrap the shelter half up in the fed blanket. Take the gum blanket, fold it up so that it is about 6-8" wide, etc and then roll it around one of the ends of the blanket and secure it with say, jute cord.
    Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
    Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
    Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
    The Tater Mess
    The Widow's Son Mess
    WIG's
    [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

If you roll it tight enough and allow yourself to get used to it, it will work, but fortunately the originals left you some other options, too. You can roll the shelter half in the blanket and hang the gum blanket on the back of your waist belt (see the flankers in Hardtack and Coffee), or on your cartridge box belt (Ebeneezer Hannaford). You can also, if we can believe Forbes ("A Halt in the Line of Battle" and "Rear of the Column"), roll the shelter half separately and place it over the shoulder opposite your blanket. This seems a good option in the morning if you've used the shelter half to keep the dew off.

All that said, the rolls in Forbes look kind of bulky anyway.
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I like being in the cavalry. My horse is allowed to carry up to 245 lbs or so. We let our horse carry that stuff. Just a thought... Maybe you could find a cavalryman and let him carry it for you. Of course, you need to find a light cavalryman...
        Scott Kilbourne

Comment

You could always use a "short roll" or "hobo roll" like the barefoot soldier in this image. I've used it and found it quite comfortable. You can easily switch the sling from one shoulder to the other on a halt. Also, your gear stays dry in wet weather.

Click image for larger version

Name:	railroad track short roll.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	221104

Hope this helps,
          Bob Bowser
          Last edited by Pvt.Bowz; 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM.
          Bob Bowser

Comment

Get out now and experiment. Go for a 2 mile walk with it several ways and figure out which works best. I like to keep the gum blanket handy in my belt or in a short roll of its own. Rolling the shelter half inside the wool blanket with a couple pairs of socks, etc, is not too heavy, whether horse collar or short roll. You may find that in March, esp if chilly, that the horse collar works well.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I've used the short roll numerous times and have found it to be rather comfortable. What I do is use the overcoat straps from my double bag to secure the ends of the roll and then use my musket sling to carry it over the shoulder with.
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

Hallo!

As with the original Civil War soldiers, they "experimented" with their options, advice, and experience to worked out what worked best for their druthers and particular needs.

In my experience, I have found that the "short roll" is the most versatile to carry, and the easiest to shift here and there to prevent "strap bite" on the shoulders at the end of the march or at the end of the day- avoiding the mass or bulk of the "horse collar" type rolls.

Lads have also experimented with horse collar rolls, folding them, or twisting them.

Some of the old discussions and sharings might still be around in the archived stuff through the SEARCH feature.

IMHO, thought, you are you. Meaning, what works for me or the next guy may o rmay not work for you. Experiment without options and you will eventually arrive at what seems to work "best" for you.

Their is an old Curt-Heinrich Heresy from the 1990's that said:

"Everytime you go out, you should learn something about your kit or something about you."

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I'll echo Doug on this. Tucking your gum blanket or shelter half into your belt is right handy...especially if there might be some weather. it is a PITA to un do a horse collar just to get your rubber blanket, but no problem to pull it out of your belt.

also echo the idea of practicing. take it apart and put it back together a couple different times. better to figure it out now, than friday night at an event.
                  Bryant Roberts
                  Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                  palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

As stated above, experiment, and carry it around for a period of time. I carried a shelter half along with spare drawers, socks, and shirt in a bed roll with a gum blanket in my belt for Bummers. I found the "horse collar" very comfortable and not too bulky, even while climbing, scrapping, marching, and foraging! :D
                    Greg Swank
                    49th IN Co. F
                    Tanglefoot Mess

Comment

Here is one documented method used by soldiers that has not yet been discussed in this thread: Pay someone to carry it for you! This deed can also be gambled for during those 10 minute halts when you wip out the dice and cards.
                      Brad Ireland
                      Old Line Mess
                      4th VA CO. A
                      SWB

Comment

ha ha well perhaps the paying, but my persona is that of a religious fanatic of sorts, or at least a church going man, so I'm not sure the gambling holds up, I like your suggestion though.
                        Brian Mott

Iron Rooster Mess

Backwaters 2010 Mud March

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You could always use a "short roll" or "hobo roll" like the barefoot soldier in this image. I've used it and found it quite comfortable. You can easily switch the sling from one shoulder to the other on a halt. Also, your gear stays dry in wet weather.
                          The problem is that your blanket stays dry, but you get wet!
                          Frank Perkin

Comment

Frank,

I've decided that in most cases it is easier for me to dry out than my gear! My 5 lbs. blanket is more like 45 lbs. when it gets wet! No joke! In most cases I'd rather take a chance of having wet clothes that I can dry (especially when marching and creating body heat) out than trying to lug extra water weight in my pack. Just my personal preference though! To each his own.

Thanks,
                            Bob Bowser
                            Bob Bowser

Comment

Originally posted by unclefrank View Post
                              The problem is that your blanket stays dry, but you get wet!
                              How do you figure? If the gum blanket is rolled around the stuff, yes, you get wet unless you repack everything to get it out, but that's true with a horse collar roll too. With a short roll, I roll or fold whatever waterproof item I have (poncho etc.) as a separate item and tuck it under the two straps as a top separate layer of the short roll. When it rains, I pull it out and put it on, so it covers both me and the short roll.

Hank Trent
                              hanktrent@gmail.com
                              Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                              X