X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carrying gear

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
    How do you figure? If the gum blanket is rolled around the stuff, yes, you get wet unless you repack everything to get it out, but that's true with a horse collar roll too. With a short roll, I roll or fold whatever waterproof item I have (poncho etc.) as a separate item and tuck it under the two straps as a top separate layer of the short roll. When it rains, I pull it out and put it on, so it covers both me and the short roll.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    We need the ability to draw diagrams on these forums :-) Hank is exactly right about the whole concept.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hallo!

One can go back as far as 18th century frontier accounts such as (Byrd's)that speak to men stripping off their wet clothing before bed and sleeping naked in a dry blanket.
      Having wet clothes and a wet blanket does not work at all.

As Herr Hank has shared, the better idea is to "adapt, adopt, and overcome" to borrow from the modern and come up with the best methods or techniques or skills using your Period kit that put together "optimizes" their potential for protection and (relative) comfort."

IMHO, once one starts with the base-line of "When it rains, I get wet." it is all downhill from their learning to minimize the worst and optimize the best possible outcomes.

Experience can be a harsh teacher. But ideas, advice, and experimentation can lessen the pain and suffering.

More or less. ;) :)

Curt
      Who never did learn to like cold rain running down his bare back under his clothes much Mess
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hank is absolutely right! I've used the gum blanket over both me and the pack with varying degrees of success. I do like the suggestion of using the straps of the pack to secure the blanket in place. That has been my biggest problem with the method.
        Bob Bowser

Comment

Quick Question... HOW DID THE SOLDIERS we portray do it? Not one example posted on this thread (except Hardtack and coffee) of first hand sources deplicting how they did it, Just what we as -enactors have in our experience.

Maybe we need to step back and not discuss what works for us, but what worked for them. The one picture picture of the soliders near the RR stock is a great start.

Cheers,
          skip
          [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
          [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Thanks, Skip!

Documentation, documentation! We deleted many-a post, once upon a time for the presence of supposition and the absence of documentation. Let's keep that in-mind as this thread moves forward.

Thanks, all!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

In the Shelter Half book by Gaede, there is a picture of a Federal Soldier with his bed roll tide into his shelter half and slung over his shoulder. Looks like a huge pregnant pouch on the bottom. Page 26, Capt. J.H. Phillips 22nd Illinois Rgt.

Thank you PanzerJager for the page number.
              Last edited by estephenson; 02-05-2010, 11:03 AM. Reason: Added page number
              Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Originally posted by elcid01 View Post
                Quick Question... HOW DID THE SOLDIERS we portray do it? Not one example posted on this thread (except Hardtack and coffee) of first hand sources deplicting how they did it, Just what we as -enactors have in our experience.

Maybe we need to step back and not discuss what works for us, but what worked for them. The one picture picture of the soliders near the RR stock is a great start.

Cheers,
                skip
                Not only that, but maybe we still have something to learn from their experience, which went much deeper than ours. The reason I also cited the Edwin Forbes illustrations (which are available in a cheap edition from Dover) is that I've yet to see the "double roll" (shelter half and blanket on different shoulders) used by reenactors. But when you think about it, it makes sense on several levels.
                Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Michael,

Is this one of the images to which you were referring? Two of the soldiers on the near end of the line clearly have two rolls crossing their chest. Sorry the image is so small!

Enjoy!

"The Halt on the Line of Battle" Edwin Forbes
                  Attached Files
                  Bob Bowser

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Bowz View Post
                    Michael,

Is this one of the images to which you were referring? Two of the soldiers on the near end of the line clearly have two rolls crossing their chest. Sorry the image is so small!

Enjoy!

"The Halt on the Line of Battle" Edwin Forbes
                    Yes indeed.
                    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

In addition to the photograph on page 26 of the Shelter half book, page 27 has a group with stacked rifles, shelter halves tied in horseshoe over the right shoulder, and short rolls under their stacks. The short rolls are blankets, etc with rubber blanket on the outside. It looks like it is an overcoat type strap on the roll. Can not make out how the shoulder strap was achieved.

My guess would be it had rained and the shelter halves might have been drying and the rubber blankets were wrapped to keep the blankets dry.
                      Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Hallo!

Albeit CS POW's:

CS POW's with a Federal on image left:

Curt
                        Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 02-05-2010, 07:23 PM.
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

All,

I went through "Battles and Leaders" today to look at the sketches. I noticed that there were many, many more images of soldiers wearing horse collars than either knapsacks or short rolls. It was very hard to tell from the sketches whether the gum blanket made up the outside of the roll or if it was just the blanket.

I'm wondering why there seemed to be disproportionate number of horse collars. Was it that a majority of men really did get rid of the knapsack in favor of the horse collar? If so, why was the horse collar favored over the short roll or another similar method? Or could it be "artistic license" on the part of the artist?

I know that a lot of the answer probably depends on the time of the war and the situation in which the troops found themselves. However, the sketches followed the same trend whether it was North or South, East or West, and 1861-65.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
                          Bob Bowser

Comment

In One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry, John Worsham describes his gear and bed roll during the Maryland Campaign in 1862.

"I had a very good oilcloth haversack to carry my rations in, a tin cup, a splendid rubber cloth, a blanket, a pair of jeans drawers, and a pair of woolen socks; every article captured from the enemy! The socks and drawers were placed in the blanket, the blanket was rolled up with the rubber cloth on the outside, the ends drawn together and fastened with a short strap. To carry this we put it over the head and let it hang from the shoulder."

Worsham also noted that what he carried was above average, in regards to quantity and quality, compared to what most others in the ANV had.
                            David Worsham

Comment

First..... Notice in the above image (killer by the way!) none of those blanket rolls are all twisted up. Just folded around and tied.

Second..... Why not just leave the gum blanket and shelter half at home? Better yet, team up with a close pard, have one carry a blanket, and the other carry the groundcloth/ gum blanket? Then share them at night. You'll be way warmer with two bodies for heat, and you and your pard's load will be lightened. ( which WILL come in handy once you've got a few miles under your feet.) My personal experience, knapsacks shred your shoulders on a long march. Especially packed with blanket, groundcloth, shelter half, spare shirt, personal effects, Etc, Etc.

Also to the above quote. Good quote, but we're talking 1865, not 1862. Whole other ballgame
                              Last edited by ; 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM. Reason: left stuff out

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Schnapps View Post
                                The reason I also cited the Edwin Forbes illustrations (which are available in a cheap edition from Dover) is that I've yet to see the "double roll" (shelter half and blanket on different shoulders) used by reenactors. But when you think about it, it makes sense on several levels.
                                E.g. here?

Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
                                Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Working...
                                X