Mystery M1855 lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mystery M1855 lock

Great information fellas, I really appreciate all the time everyone has taken to address this topic.
    Steve Blancard
    Corporal
    13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

It appears that a '55 patchbox is available from at least three sources - S&S, Dixie and Lodgwood. They are all priced about the same. Can anyone comment on the quality/authenticity of any of these?

None of these sources seem to offer the appropriate attaching screws. Does anyone know of a source for correct screws?

Thanks again:)
      Steve Blancard
      Corporal

Comment

Gents, Great photo! The sketch drawing of the second type patchbox referred to actually comes from the 1860 US Ordnance Manual. Its my opinion (better choice than never) based on Paul Davies recent Archives research, at least five weapons were produced at Harpers Ferry with 1861 dates, Maynard primer tape lock, type two patchbox. Labor records reveal this.

I agree, there were no weapons produced new at CS Armory Richmond using the Maynord primer tape lock. From labor records there were weapons produced at the CS Armory listed as weapons produced from old parts. Surviving weapons from for example the Goldbecker collection are proof of the 1855 parts used from Harpers Ferry both locks and patchboxes. The nomenclature used by the CS Armory weapons produced there was "The model 1855."

George Taggart
        Lee Lodge #30F&AM
        George Taggart

Comment

Query: did not C.S. Ordnance officials call all Richmond rifle-musket production 'Models of 1855'?
          David Fox

Comment

Hallo!

Yes, even well after Richmond Armory was no longer assembling M1855 RM's out of parts, and were producing their own guns, one still finds "Model 1855" in correspondence and letters.

Plus the Confederate 1863 Ordance Manual just makes them and actual US M1855's all "M1855's."

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Steve,

The patch box attaching screws are the same size and type of wood screws as is used on the trigger plate.
              Last edited by Blair; 02-28-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Blair, that makes it easy.
                Steve Blancard
                Corporal

Comment

Gents,
                  Correct Curt. The old parts weapons produced at Richmond are seen on weapons in many collectors Richmonds today. They are examples with old parts dated as late as 1864. The George Wray example is a Richmond with an unmarked Maynord primer lock and the stock cut for the patchbox but was never put on. This confirms reports of the parts captured at Harpers Ferry were in various stages of completion. I am looking at a photo of a lock from the Holland collection with the Harpers Ferry 1861 marks. It is an 1855 lock with the door removed and the profile of the lockplate ground to that of the low hump Richmond lockplate.

George Taggart
                  Lee Lodge #30F&AM
                  George Taggart

Comment

Originally posted by lwtaggart View Post
                    I am looking at a photo of a lock from the Holland collection with the Harpers Ferry 1861 marks. It is an 1855 lock with the door removed and the profile of the lockplate ground to that of the low hump Richmond lockplate.

George Taggart
                    Lee Lodge #30F&AM
                    George,

Can you post that photo? I'd like to see that lock.

Thanks
                    Steve Blancard
                    Corporal

Comment

By the bye, re: M.1855 wood screws. Springfield continued to use these identical screws through M.1903 Springfield production, well into the 1930s, and contractors utilized them until 1944. Considering M.1903A4 sniper rifles were in use in Viet Nam, that must set some kinda record for U.S. military longevity. It's odd to think parts used in C.S. Richmond rifle-muskets were in the field with me in the 1960s.
                      David Fox

Comment

Steve, If you could send me an e-mail I will send you a couple photos of the lock.

George Taggart
                        ghtaggart@aol.com
                        George Taggart

Comment

Steve, If you could send me an e-mail I will send you a couple photos of the lock.

George Taggart
                          ghtaggart@aol.com
                          George Taggart

Comment

George,

I e-mailed you the other day, but in case it got lost, my email is splitdorf@cox.net

Thanks
                            Steve Blancard
                            Corporal

Comment

I too would appresiate copies of the photos if you don't mind sharing them.
                              Thank you,
                              Last edited by Blair; 03-10-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X