This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes

So after this past weekend at the Bentonville event in NC, I noticed I REALLY need to repalace my shoes (after 11 years of service the soles have given out). The top three sources I'm going with are Robert Land, Missourie Boot and Shoe and Mattimore Harness.

Does anyone out there have any advice one way or the others to any of these vendors as far as quality, accuracy, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Robert "Robin" Wallace
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Shoes

Robert,

They are all good vendors and this subject has been covered quite a bit in the past. Please use the search function to see some of the earlier discussions. I am sure they will help you out with your quest.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Robin, All three produce a good product, but each have their flaws. They all have machined uppers, but utilize period machines, not incorrect at all. They all use pegging machines, as they should considering they are production shops.

Robert Land has started to use pre-dyed leather and they have been puffing up like a sponge, his soles are machine pegged and I have seen recent examples of his work that the pegging has not penetrated beyond the sole.

Robert Serio makes great boots, but they are to wide in both sole and heel and this will cause blisters on longer marches.

Tom Mattimore shoes lasts make them look a bit more "frankenstienish" then they should. His "progressive" shoe is double pegged, heel is a little longer then I have seen, but that does not mean they are incorrect.

Hope this helps.
      Eric Stephenson

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]The Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://lodge245.doylestownmasons.org/"]Doylestown Masonic Lodge No. 245 Free and Accepted Masons[/URL]

"Captain Dike is in the hands of some brother Masons, and to the Order he owes his life." OR s.I v.II

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention in my previous post that I am looking for a pair Jefferson Brogans to use for both my US and CS impression.

Thanks again,
        Robin
        Robert F. Wallace
        38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
        North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by robwall1861 View Post
          (after 11 years of service the soles have given out).
          Sincerely,
          Robert "Robin" Wallace
          There is always repair.

Pat Cunningham

Comment

Please consult the Authentic Campaigner Website & Forums FAQ for questions like this. As noted in this FAQ :

Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links or search box below to find your way around.

Who makes the best _____________ ?

The most authentic vendors of various items come and go - so often that it's difficult to answer this question. The Authentic Campaigner website tries to maintain a stable of excellent vendors for you to choose from - you can find a full list of them here.

You'd be well-served to do a little looking around - ask your messmates. Whenever possible, compare the reproductions with originals - not other reproductions. Try to find reproductions that do not sacrifice in any of the most important three categories: Authentic materials, correct patterns, quality of construction.

What uniform should I buy for my ___________ ____________ impression?

If you're in a unit, your unit should be able to answer that question for you. If they can't, you need to ask yourself if you're in the right unit. Living History units need to do their own research in regard to uniform impressions - it's one of the most rewarding studies you can embark on. If you're not in a unit, perhaps you should join one before you decide what impression you want to do.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mr. Cunningham is being modest.

His period shoe repair services are available through Ezra Barnhouse Merchantile. I've seen the work. Fabulous!
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Robin,
                If you are looking for something hand sewn and ultra authentic, contact MO Boot and Shoe. Mr. Serio will be happy to assist you with whatever you desire. I have 5 pairs of footwear from his shop and have been pleased with them all. He can provide you with entirely hand-sewn Jefferson bootees (including soles) that have all parts hand sewn and even with a hand-sewn welt that I guarantee to be the most flexible and comfortable totally period correct shoes you will ever own. However they are quite expensive but well worth the price. They can be repaired over and over. I have never experienced any problem with them on long marches or long days of doing interp for the Park Service.
                In my humble opinion, you tend to get what you pay for.
                Chris Houk
                Van Buren Boys Mess

VIII

These were men-
                Whom power could not corrupt
                Whom Death could not terrify
                Whom defeat could not dishonor

-Confederate Cemetery Marker at Fayetteville, AR

Comment

I like my MB&S brogans. Have been holding up well, even with all the rain we've had in the last 2 years. I can't tell you how many times they have been soaked! I advise hobnails! They have really held up well!

If you order from MB&S, make sure you follow the directions on tracing your foot with sock style you plan on wearing! Mine fit right out of the box and went immediately to Remembrance day parade in Gettysburg with no break-in & no issues! They arrived the day before!
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                  Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                  [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                  Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                  Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                  The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

This borderline "who makes the best" thread has begun to morph into a thread with the usual testimonials which accompany "who makes the best" questions. There's really no new information which can provided. The reply from Mr. Comer pretty well answers the question and provides some solid advice :
                    Originally posted by huntdaw
                    They are all good vendors and this subject has been covered quite a bit in the past. Please use the search function to see some of the earlier discussions. I am sure they will help you out with your quest.
                    Accordingly, I'm reaching for the lock ...
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                    X