Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: beeswax cakes

Mike,

Are we talking half a candle to coat the entire canteen?

thanks.
    Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Not all candle wax is created equal--if what you want is beeswax, read carefully to make sure that is what you are getting.

Another source of blocks is a health food store. The job won't take more than an ounce or so......

Cast the excess into a muffin tin, or something else to make small rounds. The ladies will be happy to have it for their sewing baskets.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

what you do to melt it is is find some type of can not a coke can a can for canned vegetable you squish one side till it's like a spout then put the wax in and melt er down but be careful on how hot you get the wax cause it can catch fire. then with gloves on or with somethin you can pick the can up with quickly dump the contents into the canteen put the cork on and give it a couple of shakes then dump out the extra and ya got a beeswax lined canteen. Hope this helps
        Your most humble and obedient servant,
        Erik W Creekmore,
        2nd Col Vol Inf.

Sgt Major, Territorial Battalion.

Comment

As previously mentioned, try to find someone with bees. They'll usually give you some, unless they make a living at it. You'll have to melt and strain it to get out the bee body parts, etc. You might not be able to get any in time for this project, but consider it for the future. I use it to make a good period lip balm too. I never leave home without it. You'll get a better feeling knowing it was raw local wax that you prepared yourself. That's my feeling anyway...

D.W. Scalf
          D.W.(Trace)Scalf
          19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
          [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
          George Santayana

Comment

Double post removed
            Becky Morgan

Comment

I was about to suggest a local beekeper, also. Ours has honey in the comb as well as blocks of wax at reasonable prices.

To be safe when melting beeswax, remember that it melts at low temperature. The safest way to do it is to put the wax in a thin-walled can, boil some water, take it off the heat, and set the can in the container of water for a few minutes. It'll melt without fire danger.
              Becky Morgan

Comment

A half a candle will be more than enough. Youll be pouring wax back out. I prepped the canteen prior to waxing by using naval jelly to remove the rust. Took several attempts by coating, letting the jelly work, rinsing, and inspecting. When the rust has been removed, rinse thoroughly and neutralize w/baking soda. Rinse again. Strip the canteen and heat it in an oven set on 200 degrees. This low temp will not hurt the solder. You can put the candle in after heating and dry. When all is melted, cork and coat the canteen inside by shaking, rotating the canteen. Wear oven mitts as the canteen is hot! removed from the oven and pour out excess wax & cool.
                [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I would get a new canteen.

When hydration comes knocking or more importantly coffee or corn liquor...hold the rust and wax bits.

There are some hot dipped drums out there from a noted maker which are very affordable. PM inbound..

CJ Rideout
                  Tampa, Florida

Comment

When choosing beeswax from a crafting source or the sewing dept., you will want to make sure you have pure beeswax and not a mixture. I forget what they're mixing with beeswax these days, but was surprised once to get a mixture.
                    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Check your local hardware store. Our local Ace hardware has beeswax cakes in the plumbing section. Now if only they would restock rottenstone.

Bob Gregory
                      79th Ny Company A
                      "When I first started in reeancationg you could not have beeswax as they had not been introduced to America yet."

Comment

Working...
                      X