Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Bits: On the Right by File into Line

Gents,

Reading through commands for forming a company into line by "On the Right by File into Line" in Hardee's 1855 and 1862, I have been looking for the reference to the covering sergeant (in the case of "On the Right...", this would be the 1st Sgt) stepping over to direct the rear rank to mark time, allowing the first few files of the front rank to establish themselves on the line. It ain't there.

Here is what Hardee has to say about it:
    The rear rank doubled will execute the movement in the manner already explained for the front rank, taking care not to commence the movement until four men of the front rank are established on the line of battle
    (the text is identical in the '55 and '62 versions)

My question is:
    Is the practice of having the covering sergeant step to the right to direct the rear rank as it marks-time a pure reenactorism, or is it covered in some other manual?

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Never seen that before

Every region seems to have its own standard reenactorisms. That one seems to be in yours. The covering sergeant follows the captain to the new location. Per the 1855 (because it is readily available in text format) :

148. If the company be marching by the right flank. the instructor will command:

1. On the right, by file into line. 2. MARCH.

149. At the command march, the rear rank men doubled will mark time; the captain and the covering sergeant will turn to the right, march straight forward, and be halted by the instructor when they shall have passed at least six paces beyond the rank of file closers, the captain will place himself correctly on the line of battle, and will direct the alignment as the men of the front rank successively arrive; the covering sergeant will place himself behind the captain at the distance of the rear rank - the two men on the right of the front rank doubled, will continue to march, and passing beyond the covering sergeant and the captain, will turn to the will I continue to march elbow to elbow, right; after turning, they will and direct themselves towards the line of battle, but when they shall arrive at two paces from this line, the even number will shorten the step so that the odd number may precede him on the line, the odd number placing himself by the side and on the left of the captain - the even number will afterwards oblique to the left, and place himself on the left of the odd number; the next two men of the front rank doubled, will pass in the same manner behind the two first, turn then to the right, and place themselves, according to the means just explained, to the left, and by the side of, the two men already established on the line; the remaining files of this rank will follow in succession, and be formed to the left in the same manner. The rear rank doubled will execute the movement 'K in the manner already explained for the front rank, taking care' not to commence the movement until four men of the front rank are established on the line of battle; the rear rank men, as they arrive on the line, will cover accurately their file leaders.

150. If the company be marching by the left flank, the instructor Will cause it to form by file on the left into line of battle, according to the same principles and by the same commands, substituting the indication left for right. In this case, the odd numbers will shorten the step, so that the even numbers may precede them on the line. The captain, placed on the left of the front rank, and the left guide, will return to their places in line of battle, by order of the instructor, after the company shall be formed and aligned.

151. To enable the, men the better to comprehend the mechanism of this movement, the instructor will at first cause it to be executed separately by each rank doubled, and afterwards by the two ranks united and doubled.

152. The instructor will place himself on the line of battle, and without the point where, the right or left is to rest, in order to establish the base of the alignment, and afterwards I he will follow -up the movement to assure himself that each file conforms itself to what is prescribed No. 149.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: Never seen that before

Originally posted by Silas View Post
      Every region seems to have its own standard reenactorisms. That one seems to be in yours. The covering sergeant follows the captain to the new location.
      That is exactly what I expected. Thanks!
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I always to defer to Gilham’s (1862) since we portray a Confederate battalion. Art 240 (SOC) states: “At the command march, the rear rank men doubled will mark time; the captain and the covering sergeant will turn to the right, march straight forward ...”

To give you a little more piece of mind, checking my other manuals, in addition to Hardee’s (both volumes), Casey’s (1863), along with the volunteer manuals - Baxter’s (1861), Coppee’s (1862), Volunteer’s Handbook by J. Lee (1861), Duffield’s (1862), all pretty much contain the exact same wording. Nothing about 1Sgt blocking the rear rank.
        Greg Van Wey
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Greg Van Wey
        5th Texas Co. A
        Medich Battalion[/FONT]

Comment

As Mr. Scott admonishes: "33. File closers will not be allowed to consider themselves a mere ornament to the rear of the company. "

I think the manuals are pretty clear on what the 1st sergeant does in this situation. That being said, I think it would be a poorly run company where it was assumed that the rear rank men would remember to mark time and be allowed to decide on their own when enough men were established on the line of battle for them to commence their own movement. Similarly, on movements like deploying as skirmishers by the flank it goes much smoother if an officer or sergeant counts 20 paces from one group to the next and tells each when to deploy rather than having a group of four count to 120, etc, on their own. A big hole in reenactor drill I've seen are folks that don't utilize their staff.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Re: Drill Bits: On the Right by File into Line

That pesky Scott strikes again. And here I thought being a subaltern or third/fourth sergeant was the ultimate job for a slacker. All the rank with none of the duties. Thanks, Duffer.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

John Wickett, I am sure glad you posted this, and Silas, I am sure glad you responded to it. It almost confused me because I have seen more than one unit / company do this maneuver poorly or in a state of confusion, but never as you described. It really is quite a simple and most essential maneuver and I feel "blessed" that our unit does it by the book with little effort - that is, unless some unfortunate lesser educated soul falls in with us and then we just pull him into place.

This was one of those quality posts...

Jas. T. Lemon
              1st. Sgt, 50th VA Co.D

Comment

"That being said, I think it would be a poorly run company where it was assumed that the rear rank men would remember to mark time and be allowed to decide on their own when enough men were established on the line of battle for them to commence their own movement."

Mmmm.... Those fellows with the stripes on their arm and the fellows with the fancy bars on their shoulder/collars hanging out in the rear ... I believe I once heard them referred to as "file closers".... I wonder if perhaps they might have some say in making sure the men in the ranks are doing what they are supposed to be doing when they are commanded to do it. I could be wrong here but I don't think they are just supposed to be hanging out back there because they like to look at oh so many arses.
                Brad Ireland
                Old Line Mess
                4th VA CO. A
                SWB

Comment

Working...
                X