X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haversack Items?

Hi everyone!

I have all the basic haversack items i.e. plate, utensils, candles, etc., but what else should I put in for a Federal impression? What off-the-beaten-path things are suggested? Am happy/prefer to make most items. Thanks!
    Austin Bajak

Re: Haversack Items?

Hello "Zouave",

We must ask that you sign your full name to your post. Also, since this is your first post, it will not be displayed until the first few are moderator approved. Here is a link to the forum rules that I think you will find helpful!

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...w_faq_item1998

Thanks for posting and p.m. sent.

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Sorry -

Austin Bajak
      Austin Bajak

Comment

Food......Food.....Mess Gear (Plate or canteen half, cut, spoon and fork)....and Food, nothing else. The haversack was meant to be your pantry. It carries just your food and mess gear. My haversack is so oily and disgusting that anything else put into there wouldn't last very long! Any other personal effects you have you can put into your pockets (I LOVE pockets!!!) or roll up into your cantle roll.

Dan
        Dan Chmelar
        Semper Fi
        -ONV
        -WIG
        -CIR!

Comment

Egad. A haversack isn't a purse for your stuff. It's a bag which holds your food.

Haversack, noun. A small, strong bag carried on the back or over the shoulder, used especially by soldiers and walkers.

Origin : Mid 18th century : from French "havresac," from obsolete German "Habersack," denoting a bag used by soldiers to carry oats as horse feed, from dialect "Haber" 'oats' + "Sack" 'bag'
          See, http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/haversack
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thanks for your post. Some further questions:

For Haversack: what food items should I include? I have standard ration of hardtack, but what about salted pork/coffee/etc.? How were they packaged/carried? Also, I've read that some soldiers kept some fire-building equipment and some tinder and kindling in their haversacks. How frequently was this done?

For Knapsack: what personal items/off-the-beaten-path items are suggested?

Poke Sacks: I've met reenactors who have every item in a case/poke/etc., and I've met others that have none. How were things commonly carried in haversacks and knapsacks? Was it mainly dependent upon the individual soldier?

Thanks again!
            Austin Bajak

Comment

The often called "haversack stuffers" really aught to be called Knapsack stuffers. As said before you haversack will become "black as a printers rag" with in two or three events. Personally I carry, in my knapsack, soap, a hand towel, a pipe, housewife, sleeping cap, scarf made from an old blanket, and a writing kit. You will find after a while what you need and don't need. A veteran would not carry what he didn't need, neither should you. Read personal accounts like Soldiering and Gone for a Soldier. You will figure out what works best for you. Hope this helps.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Bob,

You forgot to mention your umbrella and vulcanized inflatable spooning partner. I would hate to see somebody try to get through a campaign without those. Might as well forget your cartridge box.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

Say, goodnight to this thread, Gracie.

"Goodnight to this thread Gracie."
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                  X