• Show
Clear All

Re: Federal needs

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboy View Post
      Thanks for the clarification
      It certainly is a valid question. A citation direct from The Boss is the preferred one regarding arms exchanged at Vicksburg.
      Paul McKee

Comment

I remember reading in Columbia Rifles Research Companion 2, they had some info about a Federal soldier taking a shirt from a Confederate. I can't recall the details though, if someone has the book in front of them, it is at the end of the article about shirts.
        Philip D. Brening
        Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
        3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

A member of the 50th Illinois wrote after the surrender at Fort Donelson, "We were especially forunate in being allowed to changed our arms for excellent guns made at Richmond, Va., after the Springfield pattern, the most of them had not been unpacked."

From "Eyewitnesses at the Battle of Fort Donelson" compiled and edited by David R. Logsdon. Page 93.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Secondary sources are fine by me so long as there is a page citation. Writers like Priest leave copious footnotes which allow the reader to follow the trail to primary sources.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
              A member of the 50th Illinois wrote after the surrender at Fort Donelson, "We were especially forunate in being allowed to changed our arms for excellent guns made at Richmond, Va., after the Springfield pattern, the most of them had not been unpacked."

From "Eyewitnesses at the Battle of Fort Donelson" compiled and edited by David R. Logsdon. Page 93.

Dan Stewart
              Now that would certainly be an interesting impression: Illinois troops armed with brand new Richmond rifle-muskets!
              Paul McKee

Comment

Yeah that would be a very interesting sight. IL troops armed with Richmond rifles.
                Philip D. Brening
                Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
                3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Working...
                X