Camp Chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Chairs

I am not sure how to ask but what type of chairs would be use in light and heavy camping during the war? Does anyone have good pictures from the day or sutler that may sale period correct camp chairs?

Jim Shillinglaw
    3rd FL
    [CENTER][B][I]Jim Shillinglaw CSMC &
    Liberty Hall Drum and Fife[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Re: Camp Chairs

Click image for larger version

Name:	civil war chair.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	222681

The above photo for enlisted might be the best you might hope for, but generally I would say, the ground, a log, a thrown away hardtack box, if your lucky enough and your a mess of NCOs who happen to be lucky enough to purchased some sort of seat to use while not on campaign.

Now higher ranking field grade officer, that is a different story.
    Last edited by Huck; 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

You can also sit on your full knapsack.

A trick that I use: I have found that if you use a hatchet to chop yourself a somewhat flat almost board like piece of wood, and then prop this up with another piece of wood in sort of an upside down "y".... it is very comfortable to lean back against while you sit on the ground. Advantage is you can make and use this just about anywhere. It is quick and easy to do. And more often than not... you can just find wood that will work from the crap wood scraps they typically give us at events to burn without having to employ your hatchet.
      Brad Ireland
      Old Line Mess
      4th VA CO. A
      SWB

Comment

Sit back to back with a comrade...
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	civil war chair 2.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	222682Click image for larger version

Name:	civil war chair 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	222683Click image for larger version

Name:	civil war chair 4.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	222684Click image for larger version

Name:	CS folding camp stool.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	222685Since I had nothing else to at work, I google civil war camp chairs and civil war camp bench.
          Aka
          Wm Green :D
          Illegitimi non carborundum
          (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
          Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

You could buy or make a hardtack box to sit on.

Pvt. Philip Brening
            Philip D. Brening
            Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
            3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

where do you carry a hardtack box when you are in the cavalry. ronnie tucker 7tn cav
              Ronnie Tucker,
              Chief of Scouts
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Comment

I don't carry a chair or a box. I am assuming the gentleman was in the infantry.

Pvt. Philip Brening
                Philip D. Brening

3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

In direct answer to your question, the small folding camp chairs [stools] are common in camp photos, and in extended camp, most house hold chairs of the 18th and 19 th century would work, and wooden benchs too. Not knowing what your intent is, please remember that camp furniture is OVER represented in most civil war camps, and the previous posts are encouraging the use of stumps , firewood, creats ect. to keep camps more authentic . The book "CIvil War Woodworking" by A.J.Hamler has avery good section on camp stools. At events I go to, It is rare for me to sit on a chair around a campfire even thou they are soooomuch more comfortable the a chunk of wood, but that's my choice to demonstrate that over use of chairs ,tables,tents,ect.... hope that helps plm
                  Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

A little off topic but look at the first photo Huck posted... they actually used tent flys for their intended purpose instead of moving them in front of the tent for shade. Hmmmmm... imagine that!
                    Brad Ireland
                    Old Line Mess
                    4th VA CO. A
                    SWB

Comment

By "light" I assume you mean camping on the march....There are not many photos of the armies in a bivouac on campaign, but if ya'll are in the "infuntree" as a gravel cruncher at a campaign event, no such thing as a chair my friend. Kind of difficult to carry one on the march! Steal an army breadbox from the quartermaster when they ain't looking, sit on your pack or find a nice tree to lean against.

By "heavy" I assume you mean static camp. If you're portraying more of a winter/static camp or garrison, things can get more comfortable. As mentioned above you can handfashion a chair out of just about anything laying around - lumber scraps, logs, boxes... Whatever you can fit on! Those soldiers could do miracles with very little supply. There are hundreds of photos out there of soldiers in a more semi-permanent camp, where a photographer would be able to find them and take the time to snap away.

Of course, if you're a shoulder strap or have gold on your collar (in other words, someone who has someone else carrying all of their camping kit) then things would be a bit different......!

Anyway, if you get a chance check out "Hardtack and Coffee" by John Billings, or the memoirs of Isaac Norval Baker (18th VA Cav). W.B. Judkins of the 22nd Georgia Infantry also has some pretty good stories of camping out in bad campaigning weather compared to the relative ease of static camp life... Any foot soldier's memoir would have a pretty good oral account of it.

Cheers.
                      Rich
                      Rich Libicer
                      Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
                      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
                      6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
                      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
                      21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
                      5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
                      Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

And another book that has info on barrels and boxes is The Columbia Rifles Research Companion. It is out of print so you might have to search a little to find a used one or borrow one. But it is useful (understatement).

Pvt. Philip Brening
                        Philip D. Brening

3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shillinglaw
                          I am not sure how to ask but what type of chairs would be use in light and heavy camping during the war? Does anyone have good pictures from the day or sutler that may sale period correct camp chairs?

Jim Shillinglaw
                          3rd FL
                          Asking a question about camp chairs on this forum can be like dropping a fat bullock into piranha infested waters. I thank members for being restrained in their answers and not going for the easy, fresh, red meat.

Although camp chairs may be ubiquitous at mainstream events where tents and beds abound, chairs are anathema to campaign oriented reenactors. No way to carry 'em and no reason for the extra weight considering all the other stuff soldiers really need. I cannot think of any time I saw someone at a campaign event carrying any form of chair or stool. That may be why the answers have been about sitting on logs, lids, ground, gum blankets and et cetera. Accordingly, it would appear that the question has been asked and answered.

I'll leave this thread open for a day or so more, but not much longer than that. If someone has a constructive comment, better add it soon. It's almost time to ask Gracie to say goodnight to this thread.
                          Silas Tackitt,
                          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I don't have anymore to add. But thanks for the warning.

Pvt. Philip Brening
                            Philip D. Brening

3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Ammo boxes of the .577, .58 and .69 Buck and Ball range make good seats (If your unit or adjacent ones used that Calibre) and also encorage people to ask about them. As long as there are not a total abundance of them they generally make handy seats as well as good storage for stuff that needs to stay dry.
                              While this is great for winter camps around a QM's it would be unrealistic for campaigns.
                              The General opionion of our most well authentically versed toward these is there is a high risk that they can get over represented but they are certainly preferable to camp chairs.
                              [B][I]Christian Sprakes
                              19th Regimental Musician and Bugler[FONT="Impact"][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X