Camp Chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camp Chairs

I did a rather unscientific study of photos in my Photographic History of the Civil War for the self same question a while back and what I found out is kinda echoed by the other guys here.

1.) The only photos I found of Enlisted ranks using "store-bought' seating were generly early war shots of outfits like the Washington Artillery (CS) ot the 7th N.Y.S.M., basicly "paper collar" outfits. or troops in settled garrison duty (forts, barracks, ect.) or the occasional winter encampment. Everywhere else I saw only Officers sitting on stools ,seats or church pews. It kinda stands to reason, when you have a group of men the size of the Army of the Potomac, there aren't going to be enough chairs in the surrounding three counties for the men, let alone enough for the officers.:wink_smil
    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Re: Camp Chairs

Originally posted by Paul L Muller View Post
      The book "CIvil War Woodworking" by A.J.Hamler has avery good section on camp stools.
      I have made the bench from Volume 1 of said book. I'm deciding whether or not to apply a finish. We had similar benches at Ft. Snelling and Ft. Wadsworth that were painted, IIRC. I'm considering staining or painting mine, as if we took it from a local house. I'm currently working on the folding table from Volume 1.

I've used a hardtack box as a camp stool for years. It is my go to.
      Den Bolda

Comment

Working...
      X