Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knapsack size & blanket

Curt,

I believe part of the problem could be the size of the knapsack. In the recent past I couldn't afford the authentic gear and used a sutler row knapsack and had problems fitting gear as well. I recently purchased a high quality knapsack and found it to much larger than my other one. I currently have Federal issue blanket folded against my back and my mess gear 2 extra shirts 2 pair socks lenght of rope personel items with room to spare. Just a thought.
    Michael J. Cook
    a.k.a. Clem DeFisher
    20th MVI Co. F
    Tacoma WA
    Co. A 15th Iowa Shiloh

Comment

Um......correct knapsack, correct blanket, correct clothing and make due - move closer to the fire, or if possible as Paul suggested (post # 10), "....It is even more effective when bundling with a pard. " Very simple, just do what they did.

One Battle Too Many: The writings of Simon Bolivar Hulbert, Private, Co. E 100th NYSVpg. 191, from a letter dated Folly Island, May 6th, 1863 - "....One year ago yeasterday was the battle at Williamsburg. Last evening the rain poured in torrenyts, which made me think of that day & the night , though we slept in our tents last night & it was very warm. But one year ago last nightthe most of our Regiment come very near to perishing with the cold. I lay my canteen down by a tree & set down on it & leaned my back against the tree. Then Henderson was very near freezing, shivering & shaking. I had him set down on my lap. I put my arms around him & held him as close to me as I could till he went to sleep & was quite warm again. But last night it was pleasant to be sheltered in a tent." An excellent example of how the original fellows helped each other survive.

Also, review the information in the campaigning tips section. The suggestion of lining the wool blanket with a piece of lightweight cloth (linen) is also a good idea too - there are period references for this somewhere around here.
      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Pardon the war story, but I've heard this question throughout my military career. Before going to the field for the first time, there would always be the newbie who would ask "SGT Schnakenberg, after putting my sleeping bag in my rucksack, I don't have room for anything else [ammo, food, grenades, water, clarymores, etc]. What am I doing wrong?".

"Private, you're in the light infantry, not the Boyscouts. We don't use sleeping bags. Our motto is 'Fight light and freeze at night'."

We'd typically carry a poncho liner per two man buddy team. One guy would use it while the other was alert in the fighting position. If we had the luxury of being able to sleep simultaneously, we'd spoon. It was hard, we froze and barely slept, it sucked, and we got paid the exact same amount as those pukes in the Air Force that sleep in a warm bed every night. And that's part of why I left the Army and am now in the Air Force.

Herr Schmidt has it right on all counts, especially #3 and #4.

The only tip I can offer is to curl up in a ball and make sure your head is also under the blanket.

Jeff
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jeff Schnakenberg[/FONT]

Formerly of the Palmetto Living History Association (PLHA)
        Now a reluctant member of The Pentagon Puzzle Palace Godawful Mess

Comment

Try rolling your shelter half and rubber blanket as two separate “horse shoe” style shoulder rolls, and wear them under your knapsack, one on each shoulder. If rolled or folded flat enough, this will not pose much of a problem.
          Try to fold over and tuck you rubber blanket into the back of your belt. I remember seeing a period sketch of a line of flankers / skirmishers wearing their rubber blankets as such, but can’t remember where the sketch is at to post it. I believe this was a period practice in case of wet weather. Soldiers did not have to pull apart their knapsacks when the rain commenced.
          Alex Peoples

Comment

I've experimented a little with a blanket roll by rolling my personal items in a blanket, then rolling a ground cloth around the blanket roll for protection from inclimate weather. You can make the roll 2-3 feet long. Secure it with some blanket roll straps. Then loop your musket sling to one end on one strap and the other end of the sling on the other strap. Duvall makes a sling for this style of carry, but I like the improvised style personally. I don't know about carrying a large amount of blankets, shelter half and ground cloths, but carrying the roll this way seems to be alot more comfortable than having a pack on or the horseshoe style roll all about you and alot easier to take on and off. I'm going to give it a try on my next campaigner style event.
            ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

" It hardly closes and even the blanket in the main compartment pokes out from every corder...... What am I doing wrong? It simply does not seem to be made to carry even a single blanket. "

If I'm reading "hardly closes" correctly it seems you are saying it does close which is pretty much the battle. Without hands on I have to think you just need to try different ways of folding the blanket. Both with the US doublebag - and much more with an Issac & Campbell - I've thought 'no way this is going to fit' before but a little experimenting with the size of the fold always worked. As a rule of thumb it seemed thicker rather than wider worked the best. Start the first folds within the limit of the width and height of the knapsack and go from there.
              John Duffer
              Independence Mess
              MOOCOWS
              WIG
              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Thanks, IŽll try rolling the shelter half around the blanket on top, and will try several other methods of folding the blanket in the main compartment.
                Eduard Dekker
                Netherlands

Comment

Eduard, you must remember that when the knapsack was designed, there was no thought of it having to accomodate a tente d'abri or a rubber blanket. It shouldnt all fit easily! In mine, my heavier banket can be folded to fit the width of the compartment rather perfectly, but leaving a 6 or 8cm gap at the top. Into this I stuff my shelter tent. I fold my rubber blanket into a square and place it between the flaps.
                  You may also try folding the blanket like a fan,/\/\/\/\, instead of folding it like a flat roll - saves a little room.
                  David Stone

Comment

What do you need to live as a Civil War Soldier for 36 hours? Here's what I carry in usually a hobo roll, sometimes knapsack.

gum
                    shelter half
                    blanket
                    pair of socks
                    sleeping cap
                    hatchett(for enlisted impression only)
                    and, if it's cold, overcoat goes on top in the overcoat straps and I wear a blanket scarf and carry another pair of socks. My mittens go in the pocket I hand sewed into my overcoat.

All my personal do-dads go in my haversack or pockets.

And, I've been out in some pretty un-friendly weather.

Narrow it down to; "What do you need to make it for 36 hours?"

Your mileage may vary.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                    Past President Potomac Legion
                    Long time member Columbia Rifles
                    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X