Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the role of a First Lt. and Second Lt. in the Infantry Co./Regiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the role of a First Lt. and Second Lt. in the Infantry Co./Regiment?

This may have been already covered at one point in time, but I was interested in the authentic way a junior officer would have performed his duties in the infantry. I do have August V. Kautz book however, I would like the forums advice.
    Thank You,
    Mark Pike

Re: What is the role of a First Lt. and Second Lt. in the Infantry Co./Regiment?

Considering that Kautz has a specific section about the duties of lieutenants here : http://books.google.com/books?id=KWg...g=PA21#PPA7,M1 , what are you really asking? You've asked a fairly broad question which could use some narrowing.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: What is the role of a First Lt. and Second Lt. in the Infantry Co./Regiment?

Stay out of the way of your orderly sgt.
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I know The first LT will command 2nd platoon when you split the company (Skirmish, column platoons) etc...

The Second LT is kind of like a spare tire.
        Brad Ireland
        Old Line Mess
        4th VA CO. A
        SWB

Comment

First or 2nd Lt, would have Camp Guard, Picketts, when assigned himself. He might be running the company if his Capt or a superrior Lt. is assigned to one or these elsewere. He'd be assigned Fatigues. And, both Lt's if you have a full complement of officers in the company, would share paperwork duties. And, who can ever forget being "Officer of the Day."

busy, Busy, busy....
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
            Stay out of the way of your orderly sgt.
            SO true of all Company level officers !
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Hallo!

And then there are those pesky Confederates who sometimes used Third Lieutenants.

Or the Federals sometimes with "Third Lieutenants" being newly commissioned but having no second lieutenant vacancies for them.

:)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I like all of the information. Thank you. If I could even narrow it down more I would have to say based on everyones knowledge and experience what would be the do's and dont's of their roles? It seems that so many times the actual portrayal of the command is lost.
                Thank You,
                Mark Pike

Comment

IMO both lieutenants are little more than Captains in Waiting...for it is They who shall inherit the Company.
                  Paul McKee

Comment

The answer to the question is to fist pick up 1861 US Infantry Tactics, Hardees, Casey's or some other manual. Read through the manuals, if you have any other information I suggest you e-mail or call people that have portrayed officers and know their stuff. John Duffer, Pat Craddick, Terry Sorchy, Paul McKee, John Wickett, Jeremy Bervard,Jason Reinholz, Dave Gerow, Steve Acker etc. All of those guys are on the AC.
                    You can also call me... Send me a private message. Although I am not a fan of portraying an officer I have done it in the past. Start there and then ask more specific questions on this forum. That is what the Authentic Campaigner orignally purpose was. The above people are more than willing to help you out. As they helped me when I had specific questions.
                    Nathan Hellwig
                    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Mark,
                      I would be happy to answer any questions as Holler said. I have done 2nd LT up to Captain on both sides of the hobby fence both at the company and as adjutant (my favorite position as an officer). I can tell you here that the LT ranks responsibilities are often lost at events if they are not in command of the company or an adjutant. This is because as stated above many of the duties of these lower ranks are not done at events. Being in charge of a guard or Pickett line for 24 hrs plus, detailed as QM or other battalion and brigade posts, taking charge of temporary commands for raids, recon and the like plus dont forget about helping with paperwork. Most do not really grasp the mounds of paperwork and redtape it took to even keep a company running. Some of this is due to the short time frame we are in the field and sometimes the captain is not delegating enough. Any specifics you have drop me a PM.
                      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                      Civil War Digital Digest
                      Sally Port Mess

Comment

civli war re'nacters portraying soldiers who know their jobs. an outstanding concept. it's what sets us apart.

then again, "Who is us?"
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                        Past President Potomac Legion
                        Long time member Columbia Rifles
                        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                        X