Period Toothpaste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Toothpaste

I should have posted this with my post a few weeks ago regarding what to use for gun oil in the field, but I'll start a new one...

What is a good source for period toothpaste (as well as container)? I have heard of using baking soda and I have one of those metal cap style tins that I can use to keep the toothpaste in.

Thanks in advance,
    Robin
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Period Toothpaste

I have read several rescipes for tooth powders in those period ladies housekeeping books. Non of them you would want to use today. Almost all of them contain charcoal and basically scour your teeth clean. This will eventually scour off your enamal.

Stick with baking soda or even the arm and hammer tooth powder if you can find it. As far as a container... a small tin or bottle should do fine.

As far as access to these by the soldiers... I believe they just simply used water and their toothbrush.
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Comment

I keep my baking soda in a small cotton bag inside my "medical" bag. The medical bag contains moleskin, tweesers, a metal box of pills (I am an old man, afterall), nail cutter, toothbrush and et cetera. I rinse with vinegar contained in a bottle from my haversack. Whiskey works well for the purpose, too.

Don't spit the baking soda and vinegar. The volcanic action is also good for the digestion. Follow one with the other after a minute's pause or else you look like a rabid dog. Unless you want to look like a rabid dog.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I remember reading someplace that toothpowder came in different flavors. I use ordinary arm and hammer and mix it with a little rose water until it forms a paste. Then I spread it out on wax paper, let it dry out, then break the clumps up and work it back into a powder. I carry it in a container that I got from the gentleman that we do not speak of.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I've seen several original recipes for toothpaste, and several containers. All of the containers I've seen were porcelain containers. Not saying that all toothpaste containers were porcelain, but all the one's I've seen were. Do a google image search on antique toothpaste containers and you'll see what I mean.
          Like this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	toothpowder.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	222855
          Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
          Elverson, PA

Comment

A wealth of information on the uses of herbs by homemakers of the past through more than 500 authentic recipes as they appeared in their original sources. The recipes cover the use of herbs for medicinal, culinary, cosmetic, and other purposes, from making vegetable and meat dishes to dyes and insecticides. 113 black-and-white illustrations.

for those wanting documented recipes

and one from 1898
            [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

Steve Dunfee at Sutler of Fort Scott sells tooth powder in period containers. They look somewhat like what Bob Sullivan posted, called Thoxoria Tooth Powder. I got some for Christmas as a stocking stuffer!
              Frank Siltman
              24th Mo Vol Inf
              Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
              Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
              Company of Military Historians
              Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
              X