This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom tissue in the field

Had a good discussion this past weekend on what the army soldier used as some type of bathroom tissue on campaign. Never heard of anything. I don't think the 'pine cone' comment of this past weekends event would have gone over well. Any ideas?

Joe Roman
    3rd Wis Inf:
    Joseph Roman
    3rd Wis Inf
    "After all this is only a hobby, not a lifestyle"

Re: Bathroom tissue in the field

Joseph- This is a subject that I would venture most of us have thought about but didn't want to really talk about. I am unaware of the army issuing anything to the soldiers but maybe someone else might have more information. I would venture a guess that the common soldier in the field used any paper/fabric he could find. Letters, books or even old clothing pieces. It is a relevant topic because as we are well aware most Civil War soldiers died of disease and this was probably a significant contributor to many deaths.
    Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
    Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
    Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
    Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

This information I found about toilet paper took less than five minutes to find online.

http://wordinfo.info/unit/3949/ip:6/il:T
      http://encyclopedia.toiletpaperworld.com/toilet-paper-history/complete-historical-timeline
      http://www.tagyerit.com/tp/history.htm
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Gayetty's Medicated Paper $1.35

Click to enlarge
        A product advertised as "the Necessity of the Age" this was one of, if not the first, commercially manufactured toilet papers in the United States. The label predates our popularly sold "Perforated Paper", having begun production in 1857. Sold in packages of flat sheets originally with a water mark bearing makers name on each! Our package is meticulously made in period style with appropriate materials in a size conducive to carrying in the field by the individual soldier. Soft facial quality tissue, for those wishing to forego the total "emersion" irritation of less friendly compositions without sacrificing authenticity. Label is faithfully taken from early commercial broadsides for the product.

This is medicated paper that the Sutler of Fort Scott makes, they make lots of cool items.
        Brian William Huerta

Fighting Boys Mess

Liberty Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
          And, Tyler, it's been discussed on this forum ad naseum. And, there's no photographic evidence soldiers ever went(Federal soldiers in Andersonvilled did), so, don't worry about it. Just don't go at events hold it until you get home. Now, let me pull my tongue out fo my cheek.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Don't throw away the arsenal pack wrapper and keep it below your tins. Works well.
            Dan Chmelar
            Semper Fi
            -ONV
            -WIG
            -CIR!

Comment

Eat LOTS and LOTS of cheese before you go to the event. (Notice I said before and not during)... oh and I just discovered last night that eating take out Chinese food reverses the effect upon arrival at home.
              Brad Ireland
              Old Line Mess
              4th VA CO. A
              SWB

Comment

This is one of those topics which can go south in a hurry. Yeah, it's been discussed. And discussed. And discussed. Problem is that most of the threads get removed and/or deleted by moderators because people get carried away with the subject matter.

Considering that the overwhelming majority of events are public affairs with portajohns or running water, the question is, for the most part, academic. Not too many events on the schedule are multiple day affairs away from modern conveniences. For those events, bring some news print, scrounge cartridge wrappers after skirmishes and/or avail yourself of leaves if you lack sufficient paper.

Here's a link to a nice article from the US Army Quartermaster Museum about the "Historical Background of Army Operational Rations" : http://www.qmfound.com/army_rations_...background.htm Not much Civil War in the article, but I think that's the point. Toilet paper wasn't an issue item.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

There are two ways to look at this topic:

1.) What did THEY use?
                  2.) What can WE use?

As to #1, I'm not going to rehash what has been said before, except to say it's one reason apparently few or no letters from home have survived.

As to #2, it's relatively easy to find unbleached paper at highway rest stops or from restaurant supply houses.

As to claims it's mostly unnecessary, I regret not having sufficient paper in my knapsack at "Bummers." Thankfully, Nature provided some convenient leaves. I know: on a forum that worships information, that's TMI. ;)
                  Bill Cross
                  The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, the historical curse is that modern pulp paper does not feel or act/perform exactly the same as "high" cloth (aka rag content) CW period papers....

;) :) :)

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

As riveting as this topic and journey has been, I think it has fulfilled it's purpose.

Thank you for visiting.....................Thread is closed.

Mark
                      J. Mark Choate
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Working...
                      X