Federal sack coat variation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal sack coat variation?

I was recently gifted an unlined sack coat by a friend. In looking it over it is very well made and compares well with what I have been able to read on the subject in the book For fatigue Purposes It was made in the late 1980's and was considered the height of authenticity at the time. It has red thread used on the button holes. This I assume was to emulate the oxidized color of logwood thread? It also has the larger coat Federal Eagle buttons on it. Does anyone know of a known sack coat that used the larger coat buttons? So far I haven't come up with anything definitive, just speculation. Thanks!

Shaun Riedell

Re: Federal sack coat variation?

Pictures are always helpfull. Buttons can easily be attached or taken off. The correct buttons woudl be "medium" size. Is the sack coat hand sewn? is it made of twilled flannel?
    Jan H.Berger
    Hornist

German Mess
    http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

".....height of authenticity at the time" in late 80's could be a Jarnigan which while a decent enough sack in its way, has been far surpassed by research and manufacture. Comparing a sack to an article and B/W photos in no way enables you to make a qualitative judgement.
      Back in the day folks used brown thread to imitate oxidized logwood but I haven't heard of red. Also, being unlined, are the seams hand felled?

Comment

Seems like I've heard this before.

"Someone gave me this item, and I'm not sure about it's authenticity. I want to use it and be able to justify its use in case anyone calls me on it. Can someone provide some research for me?"

If you're not comfortable with something, there's probably a reason for your discomfort. You're best sticking with proper gear and unloading nonconforming gear upon a less discerning reenactor.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Points well taken folks. To answer the previous questions there is hand sewing in appropriate places and the cloth is of a good weight with a slight knap. My main concern was there were enough oddities that made me believe that perhaps they were basing this on a specific coat. For example the facing narrows significantly more on one side than the other and of course the larger buttons. I posed the question to see if those who have been in the hobby much longer than I have had ever heard of such a coat. It could very well be this coat was based on fantasy, but just enough was odd it made me wonder. I am not arguing its acceptability in the present age, but if it was based on an actual coat I was wondering if anyone had heard of such a beast? Apparently not. Thanks for the reponses!

Sincerely,

Shaun Riedell

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, you perhaps had the answer to your question written into your question.

But, as shared, if you could have put up some pictures so that the more knowledgeable lads could compare and contrast your reproduction with the originals' Knowledge Base and the Surviving Artifact Pool it may have been of greater help.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

At the moment I don't have a means to post pics, but will try to do so at a later date. Thanks again!

Shaun Riedell

Comment

Working...
              X