Parade Rest as performed by the 134th Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parade Rest as performed by the 134th Illinois

This is a great series of zoomed photos of the 134th Illinois performing parade rest. I like it because it confirms what I've suspected about the position : the angle of the feet remain the same even after the right foot is moved to the rear. This isn't one guy performing it. The entire squad or platoon is doing it uniformly.

The manuals are consistent about how to perform parade rest per the manual for relieving sentinels :

Being on parade and at order arms, if it be wished to give the men rest, the command will be :

Parade—REST.

At the command, rest, turn the piece on the heel of the butt, the barrel to the left, the muzzle in front of the centre of the body ; seize it at the same time with the left hand just above, and with the right at the upper band ; carry the right foot six inches to the rear, the left knee slightly bent.
    I often see reenactors straighten the left foot to the twelve o'clock angle and/or straighten the right foot to the twelve o'clock angle after carrying it six inches to the rear. No manual says to straighten either foot. Starting from the position of attention, the left foot is at the ten o'clock angle and the right foot at the two o'clock angle. When the right foot goes rearward, the left foot remains at the ten o'clock angle. While the heel of the right foot is carried rearward, the original angle remains the same before and after the rearward movement.

Based upon none of the manuals saying anything about straightening either or both feet, I suggested this at a drill local to me two weekends ago. Then I saw this photo which confirmed my suspicion. Their hands seemed high to me, but the conform to what is stated in the manuals : left hand above the upper band and right hand just below.

There's a lot going on in these photos beyond drill. What's with all the vests? I thought they weren't issued. Why not uniformity of hats?

My thanks goes to the person who posted a photo of the 134th Illinois at right shoulder shift and another who identified the unit. I went to the library of congress for other photos of the unit and stumbled upon this one. Great stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ParadeRest134thIllinois.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	231008Click image for larger version

Name:	ParadeRest134thIllinoisCloser.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	231009Click image for larger version

Name:	ParadeRest134thIllinoisClosest.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	231010
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Parade Rest as performed by the 134th Illinois

This photo has to be fake, they're not wearing coats.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Is that welting on all those trousers? Is this a gag photo of "Company Officers Pretend to be Enlistedmen?" Might explain the vests (and general lack of enlisted coats) as well as the wry look on the face of the front rank man and plain-old goofy grins of the two background guys on the far right.
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I was only half-kidding, but then I found this image, of "Union Soldiers of the 134th Illinois in Columbus, KY, 1864." Look at the Colonel, compared to the guy in front of the lines in the "parade rest" photo. Then compare the seated guy on the left (and his hat) to the front rank/left flank guy.

Name:	mPNyOyy.jpg
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	224180
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
          I was only half-kidding, but then I found this image, of "Union Soldiers of the 134th Illinois in Columbus, KY, 1864." Look at the Colonel, compared to the guy in front of the lines in the "parade rest" photo. Then compare the seated guy on the left (and his hat) to the front rank/left flank guy.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]46567[/ATTACH]
          A few days ago I undertook some photo analysis and posted some comparisons on the FB Authentic Farbs page. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=1c089a2fb9). My first detail focused on the Colonel, who I believe is Waters W. McChesney. According to a source I consulted, Waters W. McChesney was a former member of Ellsworth’s Zouaves and Colonel of the 10th New York, National Zouaves. As it relates to this photo, he was also the 10th's drillmaster. So not unusual that he is serving as the same with the 134th. (Information source: Services of the Tenth New York Volunteers National Zouaves, in the War of the Rebellion. By Charles W. Cowtan 1882 )
          Several of the others drilling also appear to be those in the card playing photo.
          Last edited by Matthew.Rector; 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM. Reason: added link to photo comparison of COL McChesney
          Matthew Rector

Comment

Interesting mix of dark blue and sky blue trousers as well. Officers and enlisted or simply a mixture of both on enlisted men? Very interesting photo.
            Peter Julius
            North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

From what I can see, there's not a pair of brogans in the bunch - all boots.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

I've poured over this image a few times also. It appears to be regt. Officers at drill. We had the same thoughts as far as vests etc. but the trousers and other features point to officers.
                Scott Sheets
                Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                Dirty Shirts

Comment

Great work, Matt! One of the hometown fellas goes Western!
                  Marc A. Hermann
                  Liberty Rifles.

Comment

Name:	134th IL Inf details1.jpg
Size:	535.8 KB
ID:	224181Click image for larger version

Name:	134th No 3.jpg
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	224183Click image for larger version

Name:	134th No 2.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	224182
                    Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
                    Great work, Matt! One of the hometown fellas goes Western!
                    Thanks! Here are the three officers I think I matched between the two photographs. Thanks to the visual rank, I think the identification of COL McChesney is fair. Here's another photo of him from Jeffrey Kraus's website, without a mustache. http://antiquephotographics.com/imag.../cwcdvz416.jpg
                    Matthew Rector

Comment

I wish this had a "like" feature! Very interesting and thanks for the research.
                      Frank Siltman
                      24th Mo Vol Inf
                      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                      Company of Military Historians
                      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

You never know where a thread is going to go after being posted. This thread really took an unexpected side journey. Cool thing is that considering the cast of characters pictured, the reason behind my post seems vindicated. A known drill guy who had drilled under one of the established drill guys has a group performing the exact same thing in unison. I rather doubt the reason for the photo was to show us a hundred and fifty years later how to perform parade rest properly, but it sure has worked out that way.

The down side about knowing how it should be performed properly is that it's one more thing on the list of many things which won't be performed properly at all events in the reenacting spectrum. Think : right shoulder shift and support arms. Yes, folks here now know the difference, but not everyone comes to this forum and not everyone attending immersion events knows their drill.

Regardless, this thread really is a gem.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Name:	04863u detail.jpg
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	224184
                          Originally posted by Silas View Post
                          You never know where a thread is going to go after being posted. This thread really took an unexpected side journey. Cool thing is that considering the cast of characters pictured, the reason behind my post seems vindicated. A known drill guy who had drilled under one of the established drill guys has a group performing the exact same thing in unison. I rather doubt the reason for the photo was to show us a hundred and fifty years later how to perform parade rest properly, but it sure has worked out that way.

The down side about knowing how it should be performed properly is that it's one more thing on the list of many things which won't be performed properly at all events in the reenacting spectrum. Think : right shoulder shift and support arms. Yes, folks here now know the difference, but not everyone comes to this forum and not everyone attending immersion events knows their drill.

Regardless, this thread really is a gem.
                          I agree, Silas! And speaking of right shoulder shift, let's bring in another 134th Illinois photo that illustrates the position well! (If it doesn't take away from the original purpose of the post too much. It may be worthy of a separate thread.) Detail attached.

Source
                          Title: [Soldiers from the 134th Illinois Volunteer Infantry marching at Columbus, Kentucky]
                          Creator(s): Carbutt, John, 1832-1905, photographer
                          Date Created/Published: [1864]
                          Medium: 1 photographic print on stereo card : albumen, stereograph ; 8.5 x 17.5 cm (mount)
                          Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ds-04863 (digital file from original item)
                          Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.

Access Advisory: Use digital images. Original served only by appointment because material requires special handling. For more information see: (http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/info/617_apptonly.html)
                          Call Number: LOT 14060, no. 1 [P&P]
                          Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
                          Notes: Title devised by Library staff.
                          Purchase; Jeffrey Kraus; 2011; (DLC/PP-2011:122).

Bookmark This Record: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2013650303/
                          Last edited by Matthew.Rector; 03-21-2014, 03:32 PM.
                          Matthew Rector

Comment

Of note is the placement of their hands. None of them are doing the reenactor hand over the wrist flop.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Another extraordinary thing about this photo, it appears there are two blacks in the ranks.

Mr. Sager, please sign all your posts with your full name. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators.
                              Last edited by Silas; 04-13-2014, 07:36 PM. Reason: signature violation
                              Mike Sager

Comment

Working...
                              X