Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sewing Richmond Depot Trousers: Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewing Richmond Depot Trousers: Need Help!

I took on the project of making my first trousers and I'm lost. I understand basic sewing because I've made shirts, knapsack, and haversacks before, but the instructions on this lose me. I don't understand the pockets and definitely not the fly. Are there better instructions like a booklet with pictures instead of just written instructions. Pictures would help tremendously. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Tyler Green

Re: Sewing Richmond Depot Trousers: Need Help!

This should help with the pockets. It is the best tutorial I have found.

David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

If you bought these in kit form and have never sewn a pair, without illustrations or another garment from which to reference this is a complex project, so I feel for you having made many pairs if these and my first was a bewildering experience. You really do have to have knowledge of construction techniques above standard stitching, which only comes with time.

The link posted above is excellent. I offer this one below as another source which has very good tutorials and you can get more specific coaching if necessary, particularly on buttonholes which can be a challenge with fabrics that ravel like flannel or jean.

Thesewingacademy.org.

Good luck, stay with it, and if you have further questions feel free to PM me.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

I'd forgotten about the photos Wick posted. Without a doubt, that's the best series of pictures on how to create mule ear pockets that you're going to find.

Keep at it. That light bulb will go off and you'll understand the genius of mule ear pockets. You're not the only one confused. I remember struggling through my first pair and just not understanding what was intended. Made no sense at all. Then it did. I didn't have Wick's photos to help me along. I've done four pairs now.

Some day, they will become a modern fashion rage once again.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line and I will be more than willing to give you a hand.
          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

^^^^^^ Best help you could possibly get. Please take advantage of it.
            David H. Thomas
            Starr's NC Battery
            Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Wish I would have asked when my wife was sewing my trousers, the instructions above would have come in mighty handy. Those pockets threw her for a loop for a good while until she figured them out. She is a pattern sewer and the kits drive her nuts.

Please Note:

Mr. Hull, please do not forget to sign you first and last name to every post. You can alleviate further signature infractions by clicking settings in the upper right and then edit signature in the lower left of the new screen. I would also encourage reviewing all of the A/C rules since there have been some changes recently. Thanks for your cooperation! - Tyler Underwood

Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 05-19-2014, 08:50 AM.
              Dave Hull

Comment

Working...
              X