Question on knapsacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on knapsacks?

Hi, im looking at purchasing a knapsack for my AoT impression but had a few questions considering a kibbler and a Isaac and cambel hard pack. So here it goes, I am going with one or the other but im asking on both, are they generally comfortable. And Can you place your usual amount of personal items and a blanket in a a hard pack. Thanks in advance.
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Re: Question on knapsacks?

The Kibbler pack is a decent one that will do a good job for you holding what should be carried under a water proof cover.
    The English Import knapsack is commodious enough.
    Do not regard it as a hard pack as for most of the purchases the stiffening or side boards were not bought.
    It has the advantage of a dowel across the shoulders which steadies the pack. You should use the 1859 method for fitting the Y straps and adjust the lower buckles to fit your hieght.
    The pack will then serve well.
    I have used this pack in both forms over the past 40 years and find that it does well when packed sensibly and does not flop about.
    Check references to see whether your unit was issued this pack before buying.
    Invest in a set of overcoat straps and carry your blanket folded to the size of the knapsack, wrapped in a ground clot. You should then have more room than you need or should carry.
    Given the issue of this import knapsack you would be issued an 1854 pattern mess tin which is a marvelous little kettle, very useful.
    Check your unit history.

Erik Simundson
    Last edited by erik; 10-07-2014, 06:03 PM. Reason: typos
    Erik Simundson

Comment

Thanks Erick, for the help and the correction
      Hunter Greene
      ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

I find the Mex War style pack to be rather comfortable, but wasn't Kibbler in a Virginia regiment? Don't you do AoT?
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Key words, "Check your unit history".
          That is unless you choose a more universal; impression such as a battlefield pick up federal double bag. Yuk..
          As far as comfort and capacity I prefer a Short's Patent knapsack. As a Union Officer I can do that as it is a private purchase item.
          Read "Entrepot" or suppliers to the Confederacy for more info.

Erik Simundson
          Erik Simundson

Comment

As of right now im not in any perticular unit and putting together a common AoT impression. What would yall recommend on a knapsack for AoT. I thought the kibbler was used generally because it was a mexican war knapsack remodel basically.
            Hunter Greene

Comment

The Kibler pack is really just the CS version of the US Mex War style. Substitute the strap colors and a little change in the construction and you'll get the Johnson pack carried by a guy in the AoT. No expert on the matter, but Michael Brase could help out.
              Jason David

Peter Pelican
              36th Illinois Co. "B"
              Prodigal Sons Mess
              Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I would say that the Kibler pack is very much NOT the standard for a Mexican war knapsack. Different Harness arrangement body in the shape of a T versus using side panels. The Front piece is not painted. The Kibler is very much a pinpoint knapsack to a pinpoint unit. The knapsack you would look for as Generic is the U.S. 1821 pattern. Or the N.B. Johnston style issued out of the Richmond Depot. I have credible information that early in the war makers such as Magee and George were also making the single bag 1821 pattern. There are also invoices from contractors supplying the Georgia Arsenals with knapsacks where the Harness straps were listed separately on the invoices. There are only so many knapsacks where the Harness is actually separate from the bag. In Tom Arliskas's book Confederate Grey and Butternut Brown he shows an Image of an LA Crescent Rgt. Soldier wearing a single bag knapsack that supports the Magee and George theory as they were issued M&G accouterments according to invoices.
                Mike Brase
                Proprietor
                M.B. Young and Co.
                One of THEM!
                Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Mike, I did a google search for the u.s. 1821 pattern and came up empty. Do you know where I can get info and pictures on this knapsack. Thanks
                  Hunter Greene

Comment

I posted a Bunch of images on a facebook page called " The Knapsack" awhile back I also have a pretty clean image of an early War Federal with one.
                    Mike Brase
                    Proprietor
                    M.B. Young and Co.
                    One of THEM!
                    Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Thanks Mike but I don't have a facebook account.
                      Hunter Greene

Comment

Using clues provided in this thread and using google for images of an N.B. Johnston knapsack, I came across this : http://www.mcssl.com/store/mbyoungan...nston-pattern-

By great coincidence, I found myself looking at the N.B. Johnston product page for A/C vendor, Mike Brase. Or maybe it wasn't a coincidence.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

You might consider going without the knapsack and use a blanket roll. IMO the AOT was usually wanting for issues of most everything much more so than the ANV. In addition I remember reading that the CS issue of knapsacks tapered off from mid to late war as the soldiers would rather use a blanket roll. This may have been in Entrepot but I am not sure.
                          Jim Mayo
                          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim,

It depends on the the unit. Some AoT regiments were fully equipped with knapsacks, some only partially.

The C.S. govt stopped making knapsacks in early 1864, due to the cost and heavy loss rate. Most of the existing stocks were issued out in the spring and early summer of 1864.

Will MacDonald

Comment

One of the biggest imports I still keep coming across for late 1863, early 1864 is the British P1856 knapsack and mess tin. Nearly all other accoutrements had stopped being imported by this stage and were replaced by massive imports of leather. By 1864 arms and shoes were the biggest imports for the ORD and QM Depts, followed by knapsacks.

Dave Burt

- - - Updated - - -
                              David Burt
                              Co-author (With Craig L. Barry) Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements
                              Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London/ Peter Tait & Co, Limerick
                              Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume II: More British Imported Arms and Accoutrements
                              Suppliers to the Confederacy Volume III: British and European Imported Quartermaster Goods, Artillery & Other Ordnance, OUT NOW!

Comment

Working...
                              X