This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying two haversacks

Hi, I have posted a thread like this before so moderator's if it is against the rules to post it please delete. So here it is , I have a tin plate/canteen half, fork knife spoon combo, tin cup and in the future rations in one haversack. Let me point out this haversack is my ration haversack so the other is NOT going to be GREASY. In the other my personal items pocket Bible, housewife, playing cards, extra pair of socks, and a poke sack with my tooth brush and a candle. I am looking for DOCUMENTATION not a reenactorism of what seems best. I am posting this to find out if it is documented for soldiers to carry two haversacks. Because if it is wrong I dont want to do it. Thanks in advance.
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Re: Carrying two haversacks

What's in your knapsack or blanket roll?
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mark I dont have a knapsack and the blanket roll feels to bulky/or uncomfortable especially with a pocket Bible and/or playing cards.
      Hunter Greene
      ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

Try going like this CS soldier shot and killed in front of Ft. Stevens in 1864. The following is from Shock Troops of the Confederacy by Fred Ray. The description is part of one written by an observer after the Confederates had pulled back.
        "A haversack hung from his soldier. Its contents were a jack-knife, a plug of twisted tobacco, a tin cup and about two quarts of coarsely cracked corn, with perhaps an ounce of salt tied in a rag. " Hard to believe they lived on so little for so long.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
          Try going like this CS soldier shot and killed in front of Ft. Stevens in 1864. The following is from Shock Troops of the Confederacy by Fred Ray. The description is part of one written by an observer after the Confederates had pulled back.
          "A haversack hung from his soldier. Its contents were a jack-knife, a plug of twisted tobacco, a tin cup and about two quarts of coarsely cracked corn, with perhaps an ounce of salt tied in a rag. " Hard to believe they lived on so little for so long.
          I've been searching for the source of that quote for seven years now.

Thank You Jim Mayo!
          Andrew Donovan
          Michigan

I think many of us get nostalgic about the past and like to think somehow that the world our mid-19th century ancestors lived in was free from many of the "sins" of our present world. Truth is, the more you study the past the more you realize that there's really nothing new under the sun. They struggled with many (most) of the same problems we do today.
          -Ian McWherter

Comment

Pictures and sketches. No "reenactor isms" there.

Others mileage may vary, to paraphrase CHS.

Conversely, where is the documentation that carrying two haversacks is common?
            Ivan Ingraham
            AC Moderator

Comment

I have seen a close up of confederate soldiers in the dust the dust bowl and there is a soldier with two haversacks. I would post it but I don't know how. Thats the only documentation I have seen. Thats my reason for posting, DOCUMENTATION.
              Hunter Greene

Comment

Okay, so you have identified a photo that supports your requirement, but that does not establish that it was common.

From what you have posted in this thread, the carrying of two haversacks sounds like a comfort-based decision for which you would like validation to support your choices.

Further, you eschew the use of knapsacks or blanket rolls (another common practice, supported by photographic evidence and written accounts) so that further limits your options for carrying things.

The argument that if something can't definatively be proven as a practice is acceptable because it can also not be disproven is a circular one.

In the end, if you want to carry two haversacks, go ahead. You have a photo and are already convinced it is the way to go for you. Don't wait on the members of this forum's approval, but be aware this wasn't a common practice--if done at all--and you might have some explaining to do to people who are curious about your impression.
                Ivan Ingraham
                AC Moderator

Comment

Ivan, I am not convinced it was common at all thats 1 photo. I am simply trying to get the discussion back on track. And I am not eschewing the knapsack I DONT have one at the time. And as for the blanket roll I find in uncomfortable , so there for look for a cheaper and a documented solution. Thats why I ask.
                  Hunter Greene

Comment

Understood, Hunter.

Good luck.
                    Ivan Ingraham
                    AC Moderator

Comment

I want to think there is some mention of multiple haversacks being carried in one of the first-hand accounts in "The Life of Johnny Reb", but I do not have that book handy at the moment and it will probably be a little over a week before I do.
                      Shawn Sturgill
                      Governor Guards
                      SCAR

Comment

You didn't mention all that many items - what about just using your pockets?
                        John Duffer
                        Independence Mess
                        MOOCOWS
                        WIG
                        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

John , for one putting things in my trouser pockets is uncomfortable while walking and as for coat pockets thats out because I sweat like a sinner on judgement day. Last time I put envelopes in my coat pocket and I believe I sweated through four. But maybe with it getting colder it has to be an option.

- - - Updated - - -

Shawn, is it the one by Bell Irvin Wiley I have the book haven't read it yet though. Do you have a general idea where its at in the book. Thanks
                          Hunter Greene

Comment

It is apparent that you are going to do what you want to do despite all good advice to the contrary. Accordingly, this thread has just closed.
                            Silas Tackitt,
                            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                            X