Federal Great Coat Button Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Great Coat Button Size

I just got a Federal great coat, used and by an unknown maker, though the weave of the wool appears the same as the Jarnigan trousers I have. The coats buttons are medium size eagles. I'm thinking of replacing these with large size eagle buttons but I just wanted to verify if the large size is correct before I do this. Thanks.
    Bryan Cheeseboro

Re: Federal Great Coat Button Size

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Cheeseboro. Although this is your first post, you've been a member for four and a half years. By now, you should have realized that signing your posts with your full name is a cardinal rule of the forum. Please take this as an opportunity to review other rules of the forum. A link below my signature line will take you there.

Regarding buttons, size for the body should be large aka coat buttons. Size for the cape are the small or cuff buttons.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Hallo!

In brief... nominally....

Federal fatigue coat "large" buttons were 3/8 inch. Greatcoat "large" buttons were 5/8th.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

My recollection is actually : small for cuff size ; large for fatigue jackets ; and coat for greatcoats. Makes it difficult to purchase buttons in the current day as a large then is a medium now. Telling a vendor you want large buttons can get you mediums. Best to state the purpose when ordering.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
          My recollection is actually : small for cuff size ; large for fatigue jackets ; and coat for greatcoats. Makes it difficult to purchase buttons in the current day as a large then is a medium now. Telling a vendor you want large buttons can get you mediums. Best to state the purpose when ordering.
          Thanks for the answers. I'm guessing you meant to type "large" for great coats. Anyway, I think I'm going to make the switch and put the large buttons on. I imagine there were some cases where a smaller button was used on some great coats but I think the larger buttons look better on the coat.
          Bryan Cheeseboro

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	large eagle.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	224524Hope you have a good source for the large buttons as they seem hard to find. Having hunted in Petersburg for many years I found only two of the large size eagle and they were found together in a camp. Have you looked at original surviving coats to determine what was used? Here is a pic of the two large and a regular sack coat button.
            Last edited by Jimmayo; 12-27-2014, 09:48 PM.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

There were just two issue sizes of buttons for federal enlisted clothing: large and small. Great coats, sack coats and uniform coats (aka frock coats) all used the same "large" size on the front closure. (Cuff size were used on cuffs and capes of course as well as mounted services jackets.) I own three original great coats (two footman's and one mounted) that all conform to this. The oversize 7/8" buttons usually are officer buttons with the branch of service letter on the shield. The oversize general service button is quite rare and in my thinking, not representative of the norm. In my opinion, it should be avoided.
              Paul McKee

Comment

From the Denmark collection:Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010657.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	970.2 KB
ID:	224553

The size of coat button changed in March of 1861 from 3/4 inch to 7/8 inch, the same size as for officers. So, like the change from dark blue trousers to sky blue, the transition would occur over time, and much slower with the overcoat, as the garment was supposed to last the 5 year enlistment.
                Tommy Attaway

Company of Military Historians, & etc.

Knox-Corinthian #851, A. F. & A. M. of Texas

Comment

Tommy,
                  You are correct that 7/8 inch was specified in 1861, but please provide a reference for where enlisted buttons were ever specified as 3/4 inch prior to the revised regulations.

I looked at the 1857 Regulations, and the sizes specified are the same as per 1861 Revised Regulations as well as the 1851 Regulations:

1408 For Officers of Artillery, Infantry, Riflemen, Cavalry, and Dragoons —
                  gilt, convex ; device, a spread eagle with the letter A, for Artillery— I, for Infantry— R, for Riflemen— C, for Cavalry— D, for Dragoons, on the shield ; large size, seven eighths of an inch in ex-
                  terior diameter ; small size, one half inch.

1410 For all enlisted men —
                  yellow, the same as is used by the Artillery, &c., omitting the letter in the shield.
                  In all cases, there are only two sizes specified: Large and Small. In no case is a unique button specified for great coats.

In the 1865 Quartermaster manual, Chapter 10, Crosman specifies the following for enlisted clothing:
                  Uniform Coat: 11 coat buttons; 4 vest buttons
                  Blouses: 4 brass coat buttons
                  Great coats for footmen: 6 coat buttons; 6 vest buttons

Again, only two sizes of buttons. The fatigue blouse, the uniform coat and the great coat all used the same button.
                  Last edited by CompanyWag; 02-02-2015, 10:02 AM.
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Working...
                  X