What to do about stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about stock

I have a original Springfield 1842 69 cal. musket in working condition. The bore and the lock and all the metal are in good condition for the age. The lock is very sound and works perfectly. The problem is the stock is very dry with a few slight cracks. Is there anything that I can use on the wood to help the dryness and preserve the wood ? Thank you.
    Tommy Vinson

Re: What to do about stock

Mr. Vinson, welcome to the forum. When you signed up for your account six plus years ago, a rule existed about signing your posts with your full name. Now that you've made your first post, please be aware that the same rule continues to apply.

You can find that rule and other ones linked below my signature line. There really aren't that many rules here, and none are onerous.

A suggestion is that you try the search function as this is a question which pops up from time to time. Our search function isn't the greatest on earth as it will have many more responses than you want. Then again, the serendipity of searches will get you to look at other threads and peak your interest in other areas you hadn't cconsidered.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I would say it would depend on what you are going to do with the gun.

If the idea is preservation/conservation, you are probably best seeking professional conservation advice.

If you are going to use the gun, you'd probably be fine rubbing it down with boiled linseed oil. But the oil won't help with cracks and may make future restoration of the stock harder.

If you want to restore the stock there are professional services that you can Google that appear, from their photos, to do amazing restorative work on firearm stocks with historical value.

However, another option is to just get a replacement stock from Dunlap and fit the original hardware to it, keeping the original stock for safekeeping.

Steve
      Steve Sheldon

Comment

I really don't know where the old musket originally came from or where it has been in the last 150 + years. I got it from a friend in Tenn. but he had picked it up in Tenn. but had no historical information on it. I just want to try to do something about the dryness of the wood and maintain the originality of it.
        Last edited by rebelyell; 02-02-2015, 01:17 PM.
        Tommy Vinson

Comment

Working...
        X