Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevron Removal

Hello,
    I have a RD II coat made by Fenny Hanes that I purchased second hand. I really love the coat, I am so happy with it, but it has chevrons on it and I would like to know how do I go about removing them with out hurting the coat. The chevrons are sewn into the sleeve seams. I would like some instructions and possibly any tutorials that you know of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	11156966_1650172585203589_477566140_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	231391Click image for larger version

Name:	11145950_1650172648536916_882292388_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	231392
    Elias Medrano

Re: Chevron Removal

A seam ripper, available at most all fabric/sewing stores i.e. Hancock, Hobby Lobby, etc. should work to do the job.
    Andy Redd
    Andy Redd

Comment

You may have to open the sleeve to remove them which doesn't sound like such a good idea. To close the sleeve and have no visible repairs, you'll also have to open the inner sleeve to gain access to the outer sleeve seam. Visible repairs on the inner sleeve won't matter because no one will see them.

Another alternative is to gain access via the inner seam which holds the sleeve to the body. That seems like too much work, but it is an option.

Access to the inner sleeve via the cuff is the only other option. That would work if the cuff was on a Tait jacket. (The outer sleeve is folded, and the inner sleeve is whip stitched to the folded outer sleeve.) I haven't sewn a Richmond jacket, but the cuff is most likely sewn with right sides together, turned, folded and upper part of the inner sleeve joined to the body by whip stitch.

Maybe you should purchase another coat instead of removing the stripes from this one.
      Last edited by Silas; 04-22-2015, 08:15 PM. Reason: Double double posting posting within my post
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Hallo!

With the ends of the chevron sewn into the sleeve seam, I know of NO way to remove the chevrons without opening up the seams. As shared above, while tha tis not that hard a task in itself, it gets complicated by the presence of the sleeve liner.

While the popping of a few stitches in the sleeves and in the sleeve liners is not a big deal to open and then close, gaining access to the area with the lining in the way is harder.

Just a thought... depending upon the weave of the chevron, you might just be able to cut the chevrons off near flush with the sleeve. Then carefully pull "tweezer" out the individual yarns/threads of the chevron from the seam. Failing the bove, and a long shot at this, IMHO you may just have to live with the stubs of teh chevrons in teh seam or replace the jacket if you cannot get the sleeve lining out.

You may also be able to turn the sleeves inside out to access the area of the sewn-in chevrons. Then cut a slit to open the sleeve linings to get at the places you need open teh out54r sleeve and remove the chevrons and stitch it back up. You would then have to stitch the lining slit closed- but being inside of the sleeve it is rather "out of sight, out of mind" in the end anyways.

Curt
        Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 04-22-2015, 12:23 PM.
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You also could call Fenny and see if she could take them out. Might be the best. I like buy another coat to though..:D
          Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
          The Company of Military Historians
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

Seam ripper would be the route I would go, just be sure to take your time. Here is a video for proper use of using one.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Give Fenny a call. I have had her rework previous stuff of hers and Scot's before and Fenny has been very polite and willing to do so upon polite request. I believe that this would be the best option if you do not have an adequate knowledge or capability of sewing.

Another option is to have someone who has extensive sewing experience remove them for you because as previously elaborated by others in previous posts, the full removal of the chevrons would require the ripping of main sleeve body seems and putting them back together. This would be commission work for someone other than Fenny Hanes.
              Did I ever mention to you that I have extensive sewing experience and to commission work:)
              I am just kidding...I highly recommend giving Fenny a call.

Matt
              Matthew Semple

Comment

You can also open the seam from the outside of the garment to remove the chevron and then use an "invisible" or "ladder" stitch to close the seam from the outside:

I've used this technique many times with excellent results.

Bear in mind that depending how much use the jacket previously had as an NCO, there may be a visible shadow remaining of the chevron caused by fading, soiling or nap wear. It just gives you reason to devise an interesting first-person story to explain why you got reduced in rank back to a private.
                Paul McKee

Comment

Thank you all for your help!
                  Elias Medrano

Comment

Working...
                  X