Need help finding fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding fabric

I am a member of a mainstream group but leaning more toward the progressive side of things. I want to start making my own clothing and some gear and I am looking for a good source of authentic fabric in bulk preferably and thought you fellas might be the best to ask. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Ross Taylor.

Re: Need help finding fabric

Look here : http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm#N_27_
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I have some wool, jean-wool, and cotton material I need to get rid of. Let me know what you are looking for and I might be able to help.
      Last edited by Scotty017; 06-22-2015, 09:02 AM.
      Tyler D. Scott

Comment

I thank you for the info Silas I have your link saved and have found it very useful on many different things.Mr. Scott I thank you for the offer but am not ready to purchase just yet. Mainly I am just trying to find the resources at the moment. I am going to level with you on the reason while I am going to try and make my own uniforms and such I am also trying to start up a unit and people now a days don't have as much expendable income anymore. My thoughts were to try and fund raise with the group and use the funds to purchase raw materials and a lady I know is going to give us lessons on sewing and garment making so I can show these guys it can be done for a fraction of the price not to mention have a little more authentic look then most off the rack uniforms. If we can achieve this I am hoping it will help our numbers grow. So right now just gathering all the info I can and doing my research. Once again thank you all for your help
        Ross Taylor.

Comment

Ross,
          Completely understand looking to try and get a unit going and on the more authentic path for uniforms and equipment. It can be expensive and one of the reasons why I started to make all of my uniforms and for guys in my unit. Finding the material is the first step, but an even bigger step is learning how to properly assemble a garment. I would just caution you regarding "a lady I know" giving you lessons. Unless she is well versed in construction techniques of the 1860s and not just a lady who knows how to sew, you might have a lot of expensive material made up into something that doesn't resemble an authentic uniform. No offense meant to the idea or the lady, but it takes a lot of research and study of originals to see how they are put together to make an accurate uniform.
          Another cost saving measure is to keep an eye out for people selling off parts of the their uniforms and gear. There are a lot of adds for uniforms on here and other sites that could save you a ton of money. For instance, I have a RD I I have been trying to sell at a fraction of the cost I paid. So keep an eye out for items for sale and you can get some good deals to save some money as well and not have to worry about constructing an authentic uniform.
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I will second knowing a lady and that she knows more then just sewing. I know someone who purchased a coat and trouser kit from a great vendor. The lady knew how to sew but could not assemble these civil war items correctly. Maybe she didn't follow the instructions thinking she knew but the seams on the trousers looked odd, all the cuffs, the collar and the buttonholes all incorrect.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

I have friend who, back in the 1900's, got a County Cloth kit and had it assembled by "a lady I know".
              ...when he got it back, the buttonholes had been cut VERTICALLY!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

As far as the actual piecing them together I and others are researching heavily on that end. But I do wonder as far as hand stitching goes is there that much difference in the way its done now and back then? I only ask for information reasons would really be interested to know. Thank you gentlemen for all your help.
                Ross Taylor.

Comment

Ross,
                  Good question on the stitches. And, the easy response is no. A running stitch, back stitch, buttonhole stitch, etc are the same from 150 years ago as they are today. It is the application and use of the stitches that have changed. For me, the biggest difference in the stitches is the size and quantity in some items. People today are not used to hand stitching much if at all and then when you try to make as many stitches per inch as they did during the period, many people's hands will cramp before they get half way through a seam. I think what John, Jeremy, and I are making more of a reference too is how the garments are assembled. Glad you are doing your research. It will pay of in more ways then one.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

This relates to your question as the thread turns from the fabric to assembly techniques, which seems to frequently happen since you want to get it right, and particularly when working with expensive fabric.

There are other good links out there, too, that provide visual tutorial such as The Sewing Academy http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php

Have fun with your project!
                    Ivan Ingraham
                    AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
                    X