Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formal Inspection

Greetings,

I have a small but important question to ask of you all. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram or explanation of a Formal Gear Inspection? I am doing a living history event in the fall (garrison type) and would like to do a Formal Inspection of the troops. I know in the "modern" army we called this a TA-50 inspection, but I have been unable to find anything about this through my research. Did they even do them?

Thanks again For all your help in this matter,

Krayg Von Mosch
    Krayg Von Mosch

Re: Formal Inspection

Inspections were common and were called for to be done on Sunday morning along with parades. You should be able to find the procedure for dress parade and knapsack inspection in a number of the drill manuals that are available. Knapsack inspection, while often done as a search for contraband at events today, was actually more of a company officer checking his men to make sure they had the required issued items and making note of what might need to be requisitioned to bring them up to par. Too many times, it's made into some sort of circus sideshow at events.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Hello,

Information regarding inspections can be found in the Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States 1861 under Article XXX, Inpections of the Troops. An online copy of this can be found on Silas's links page: http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm.

Regards

Richard O'Flaherty
      Last edited by Richard O'Flaherty; 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM.
      Richard O'Flaherty
      Private Daggett

Comment

Hello, Krayg:

There is a nice discussion of the important role of assistant inspector-generals (AIGs) in “Buff Facings and Gilt Buttons” by J. Boone Bartholomees, Jr. Although the work examines the staff work in the Army of Northern Virginia, it would be fair to assume its staff functioned similarly in general as those of other Confederate Armies as well as the union Army. According to Bartholomees, AIGs were the eyes and ears of unit commanders so they would know the condition of their troops, and the primary way they fulfilled their responsibility was by formal inspections.

Regulations spelled out the authority and scope of their inspections: “Inspection reports will show the discipline of the troops; their instruction in all military exercises and duties; the state of their arms, clothing, equipment, and accoutrements of all kinds; of their kitchens and messes; . . . the zeal and ability of officers in command of troops; the capacity of the officers conducting the administrative and staff services; the fidelity and economy of their disbursements; the condition of all public property . . . and any information whatsoever, concerning the service in any manner or particular that may merit notice, or aid to correct defects or introduce improvements.” Confederate States of America War Department, “Regulations 1863,” 49-50.

Regulations also specified what to inspect, how to inspect it, and which officers from the unit should accompany the inspector during each phase of inspection. Ibid, 31-32. Commanders further added their own concerns to the instructions they gave to their AIGs for the conduct of inspections and the enforcement of orders and regulations.

While the duties of AIGs were much broader than what is outlined above, the question of formal inspections is pretty well addressed by those guidelines.

Last year I served as AIG for Medich’s Battalion during the event at Hale Farm in Ohio. The company commanders were informed at the first officers’ meeting that the battalion would be mustered that weekend, which would entail a review of the battalion, a formal inspection of each company and a pay call, per Army Regulations. It was announced that each company bivouac area would be subject to inspection and the findings included in the inspection report of the company. To maintain consistent discipline throughout the weekend, the camp inspection would be conducted unannounced and likely more than one time. (Being in campaign-mode, the camp inspections were rather easy because without tents the emphasis was primarily on not having any 21st Century anachronisms visible and all property visible was historically accurate.) For the company inspections the categories specified in the Inspector’s Report that was a part of each Muster Roll form was used: discipline, instruction, military appearance, arms, accoutrements, and clothing. Because of time constraints, we did not do individual knapsack inspections. I agree with Michael Comer that when I have observed knapsack inspections being done they frequently ended up being unrealistically funny affairs.

The muster at Hale Farm achieved the desired results of improved camp sites and greater attention paid to the appearance of individuals and their companies. I also made certain the adjutant used replicas of properly researched forms – in fact, the battalion consolidated Morning Reports were on forms that were printed on 150-year old paper identical to many Confederate forms seen at the National Archives.

Inspections were a regular activity of army life that we do not do very often as living historians. Because of the positive benefits of doing inspections, consideration should be given to doing them from time-to-time either as a part of a muster or as an isolated activity. Best wishes to you for a successful inspection this fall.

Your obedient servant,
        Tom Williams
        4th Virginia Infantry
        Indianapolis
        Tom Williams

Comment

I always liked this link on Syke's Regulars School of the Soldier page for blanket inspection; http://sykesregulars.org/instruction...inspection.php
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Thank you all for your help in this matter!
            Krayg Von Mosch

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help in this matter.....

Mr. Siltman do you by chance have a copy of the picture. The pic is missing from the page. :(
              Krayg Von Mosch

Comment

Yes I have copied it to my own files.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	224736
                Frank Siltman
                24th Mo Vol Inf
                Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                Company of Military Historians
                Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I have my doubts about the authenticity of the illustration from Sykes as I don't recall seeing text or an illustration like it. I do a lot of research related, speed reading in many documents so I'm willing to state that I could have missed it. However, can anyone show me a period source for any "junk on a bunk" diagram like the Sykes illustration? I like the idea, but it seems to be a modern concept which has been adopted to period methods. It sure doesn't conform to what I've seen in the U.S. Regulations : https://books.google.com/books?id=_G...page&q&f=false
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                    I have my doubts about the authenticity of the illustration from Sykes as I don't recall seeing text or an illustration like it. I do a lot of research related, speed reading in many documents so I'm willing to state that I could have missed it. However, can anyone show me a period source for any "junk on a bunk" diagram like the Sykes illustration? I like the idea, but it seems to be a modern concept which has been adopted to period methods. It sure doesn't conform to what I've seen in the U.S. Regulations : https://books.google.com/books?id=_G...page&q&f=false

I completely agree Silas, I've never come across anything remotely like that. And if I'm wearing my accoutrements and have just stacked arms......
                    John Duffer
                    Independence Mess
                    MOOCOWS
                    WIG
                    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

To continue the discussion of the Sykes diagram for inspecting a soldier’s kit, it would be logical that it or something like it would appear in the regulations manuals of the Union and Confederate Armies, but nothing like will be found. In fact, the actual procedure for inspecting individual soldiers does not support the blanket display of Sykes diagram. For instance, it is inconceivable to believe that any assistant inspector-general is going to care one wit about the condition of a soldier’s tooth brush or whether he has a container of boot black in his kit, items that are included in the Sykes diagram. The inspectors were interested in the condition of a soldier’s public property – weapons, uniforms, accoutrements – not his mess gear. I have examined the inspector’s reports of many companies, which were a part of each muster roll form, and I have never seen any mention of the personal items mentioned above. Shortages of bayonets or shoes, yes. Indifferent uniforms, yes. A need for more razors, no.

When the procedures of inspections are reviewed one will see that they are the same for both armies. Let’s review those specific procedures outlined in the manuals as they relate to an individual soldier.

After a review of a regiment or battalion, the unit will be formed and the ranks opened. The Inspector will commence in front. After inspecting the dress and general appearance of the field and commissioned staff under arms, the Inspector, accompanied by these officers, will pass down the open column, looking at each rank front and rear.

As the Inspector successively approaches the companies, the captains will command: 1. Attention. 2. Company. 3. Inspection-Arms. The inspecting officer will then go through the whole company, and minutely inspect the arms, accoutrements and dress of each soldier. After this is done, the captain will command: Open-Boxes. The ammunition and the boxes will then be examined.

The Captain will then order the arms stacked, the ranks opened and the front rank to about face. The men will be ordered to unsling their knapsacks and then open them. The knapsacks will be placed at the feet of the men, the flaps from them, with the great coats on the flaps, and the knapsacks leaning on the great coats. In this position the Inspector will examine their contents, or so many of them as he may think necessary, commencing with the non-commissioned officers, the men standing at attention.

When the Inspector has passed through the company, the captain will command the knapsacks to be repacked. Once the knapsacks are repacked the men will resling them on their backs and the company will be ordered to return to their tents and quarters. The Inspector will then proceed to the hospital, magazine, arsenal, quarters, sutler’s shop, guard-house, and such other places as he may think proper to inspect.

Like Silas points out, it would be nice to have something like the Sykes diagram available, but absent any record of anything like it in the Army Regulations of either side, the proper thing to do would be to follow the process described in the manuals.

Tom Williams
                      4th Virginia Infantry
                      Indianapolis
                      Tom Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Pennvolunteer View Post
                        Yes I have copied it to my own files.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]49439[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks for the pic! Just what I was looking for....... and it gives me ideas.
                        Krayg Von Mosch

Comment

Since there is a wealth of knowledge let me play devils advocate. I under stand the Inspection of the Regiment done by the Inspectors how ever per Article XIII para 99 "Ordinarily the cleaning will be on Saturdays. The chiefs of squads will cause ... arms [to be] cleaned; accoutrements whitened [blackened] and polished...." and in para 100 it talks about the NCO making sure they are up to par. Wouldn't you think the NCO would have them lay everything out and make sure they were in order for the formal inspection?
                          Krayg Von Mosch

Comment

Krayg: In your last question the words you left out of your quote of Article XIII, paragraph 99, are important for a proper answer. I will cite para. 99 with the words that you omitted within quotation marks:

99. Ordinarily the cleaning will be on Saturdays. The chiefs of squads will cause "bunks and bedding to be overhauled; floors dry rubbed; tables and benches scoured;" arms cleaned; accoutrements whitened and polished, "and every thing put in order.” U. S. Army Regulations, 1863.

Paragraph 99 obviously pertains to units being in barracks while my previous posts to this thread dealt with units in the field. When I reread your original post I noted that you did mention that you would be portraying a garrison impression, a detail that escaped me as I researched my initial response. Since a garrison portrayal in a barracks building is not done often by most reenactors, my reply was directed to our efforts to accurately portray units on the march or in the field. If you are doing a garrison impression in a barracks building, then you should do your best to comply with the instructions provided by Article XIII. The regulations do not provide the chart you want, so like any other activity for which the regulations are silent, commanders must decide how the spirit and intent of the regulations are to be met.

Best wishes on developing the scenario of a formal inspection for the garrison portrayal you plan to do.

Your obedient servant,
                            Tom Williams
                            4th Virginia Infantry
                            Tom Williams

Comment

The event was a huge success..... people were really surprised to see the barracks being cleaned, weapons were being clean/inspected, and leathers/traps being inspected. Thanks for all the help!
                              Krayg Von Mosch

Comment

Working...
                              X