1860 and 1861 anti war news paper help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1860 and 1861 anti war news paper help

I am writing a 250 word essay for school and need some help. I am looking for news papers before the civil war about some hard thought reasons to stay out of war. Period documentation please. News papers or letters would be helpful, thanks. Sorry if this isn't in the right place please move if so.
    Hunter Greene
    ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Re: 1860 and 1861 anti war news paper help

Hunter, check out the Library of Congress website. They have TONS of newspapers that are sure to yield the results you are looking for.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Bob Welch has a Facebook page called "The Eagle and Journal", which is a compendium of 2 newspapers from Macomb, IL from 1861 through the whole war. The Eagle was an anti-war Democratic paper, and the Journal was a pro-war Republican paper. Great resources.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Here's another good source of period newspapers:

I did a quick search with the parameters of 1861-1862 with "oppose" within five words of "war" and came up with over 1,000 hits.
        Eric Paape
        Because the world needs
        one more aging reenactor

Comment

The history major in me thinks that an unexplained aspect of this short assignment is for you to do your own research because you never know what you'll encounter and learn along the way.
          Last edited by Silas; 12-01-2015, 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling on small screens is tricky.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mr Tackitt I see your point but I'm looking for stuff to help, where and how do I start. I'm also not so good in the political talks of the day nor am I to keen on states rights . Things I need to know if I am to write an essay from the view point of a newspaper editor in 1861. So I figured I would read through the newspapers of the day to get the view point. And to be frank, a 15 year old new to this area of history and the hobby doesn't have the resources.
            Hunter Greene
            ''Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;— was] not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured''

Comment

As Frank pointed out, I have material posted at eagleandjournal.wordpress.com that you could use as an entry point. All material posted through the early summer of 1861 is from the Eagle, so you'll get plenty of the anti-war side to look at. Might I also suggest a trip to your local library or genealogical society. Depending upon their resources, you might find some very interesting local history to use. I've found that most people simply don't want to put in the time on the microfilm to find some of the best information available. Contact me if I may be of assistance.
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by the Tennessee Confederate View Post
                Mr Tackitt I see your point but I'm looking for stuff to help, where and how do I start. I'm also not so good in the political talks of the day nor am I to keen on states rights . Things I need to know if I am to write an essay from the view point of a newspaper editor in 1861. So I figured I would read through the newspapers of the day to get the view point. And to be frank, a 15 year old new to this area of history and the hobby doesn't have the resources.
                "Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves

I will be more blunt than than those who have posted thus far in this thread.

People are doing you a favor, Hunter. I would be more appreciative if I were you. A little humility goes a long way and it is hard to lose a bad reputation in this part of the hobby.

Clearly, you do have access to some resources as evidenced by the quote in your signature line. If you found that you can likely find anything; research techniques apply across all kinds of areas and subjects.

A grammar lesson wouldn't hurt you, either. Might lend to people taking you seriously.

Do your own work.
                Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 12-02-2015, 07:06 AM.
                Ivan Ingraham
                AC Moderator

Comment

I am appreciative for the help I have received , Mr. Ingraham , and I did not ask you to write the essay. I asked for websites to find historical documents. A online search for anti war 1861 newspapers comes up mostly with history of copperheads and so on and so forth. I am not familiar with websites such as the Library of Congress or Chronicling America, which the latter really helped,but I am learning to use them. Thanks to those who gave references. And Mr. Ingraham, if you don't wish to help then don't.
                  Hunter Greene

Comment

Mess'r Greene,
                    Accomplished researchers have connected you with some great resources that should allow you to pour through a large number of period newspapers and find the information for your assignment.

Researchers and hobbyists helping researchers and hobbyists for the betterment of us all... that's what the A-C is all about!

I have moved this thread to the "Camp of Instruction" folder as a matter of housekeeping, as this is the place for newbies to ask questions. In other folders, accomplished folks might rightly chop off your head (figuratively, of course!) for asking people to provide detailed granular data on a topic, when the information is there for anyone to review.

Don't be defensive at Ivan's post. He and the others that have responded are accomplished researchers and hobby leaders. Take his advice to heart. Humility and gratitude are the most useful tools in your toolbox.

Best of luck with your paper! Please share what you find!
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                    X