Packing a blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing a blanket

I am tiring to pack a blanket in my 1853/55 two bag soft pack without success. How do you get it in the pack if you do at all? The blankets are from nj@@@@@, and s&s Sutlers of Gettysburg.
    Thanks for any help.
    John Dunn

Re: Packing a blanket

Try packing it on top and securing it with some "blanket straps." Then try rolling it tight into a horse collar, securing the ends with a blanket strap and tossing it over your shoulder and knapsack. The latter method became common by the end of our many days march Into The Piney Woods. Here's a photo from said event. Two Confederates can be seen wearing it this way. One of them might have been me....

Click image for larger version

Name:	PineyWoodsMarch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	224795
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Another option is to fold your blanket into a rough square and place it in between the 2 inner bags. Also try folding it like an accordion, it'll lay flatter.
      Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
      44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

Originally posted by mike44thva View Post
        Another option is to fold your blanket into a rough square and place it in between the 2 inner bags. Also try folding it like an accordion, it'll lay flatter.
        I have placed it between the two bags for now, but was curious why it wouldn't fold into the bag like I have seen in videos. Maybe the pack I have is not the correct size as it doesn't come close to fitting.
        Thanks for the quick replies and the great photo.
        John Dunn

Comment

Folding an issue blanket to fit in a knapsack has a method, folding it in half a bunch of times won't create a good fit, fold it in thirds and such. Wish I could be more help in this, as I haven't used my knapsack in awhile and have been using a blanket roll instead.
          Ryan Schuda
          Co. C, 45th IL / Co. G, 15th TN
          Dirty First Mess

Comment

Originally posted by RSchuda View Post
            Folding an issue blanket to fit in a knapsack has a method, folding it in half a bunch of times won't create a good fit, fold it in thirds and such. Wish I could be more help in this, as I haven't used my knapsack in awhile and have been using a blanket roll instead.
            I will giv it a try. Thanks
            John Dunn

Comment

Assuming the pack is indeed of the correct dimensions, and I don't see why not in this case, here is what works for me.

Lay the knapsack out on the floor open and with the blanket pocket (this has the four-way strap and buckle arrangement) facing you.

Then take the blanket and fold it so it is just slightly smaller than the width of the pocket. You may have to lay the blanket out fully open then fold one long edge to the middle, the other edge to meet it, then fold them over themselves where the edges meet--hope that makes sense.

Now it is the proper width. Place the leading edge so it fills the far corners of the pocket and fold the blanket to fit the pocket on the edge closest to you. You only need to use enough material to get the dimensions; the rest of the blanket should be on the floor behind you. The trick is to fill the pocket with as much as of the blanket as possible while still retaining a square, or at least close to it.

Once you have the proper proportions, you can fold the rest of the blanket down into the pocket. I find an "S" fold works. Keep in mind that it will not exactly be flat and even, but will be enough so to get the straps closed over it.

For all of it, as mentioned it is a bit of art and takes some practice, but it can be done. Once you know the dimensions for your pack and blanket and practice a few times you will be able to fold it quickly in the dark.

Hope this helps. I have been accused elsewhere of not being helpful.
              Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 12-03-2015, 06:43 AM.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Pretty close I think to Ivan and if I remember right. I fold it in half to put the ends together. Turn 90 degrees in my hands and then fold that in half again. So all the frayed ends are together. I think that goes in half or thirds so it is skinny and long with the width right for the pack. Fold it in thirds song the length (the S Ivan says) and it fits in with maybe a little squishing. I have a NJS blanket and I get it in the bag with enough room for a shelter half with a squish and push with the buckles.
                Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                Civil War Digital Digest
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Bevard View Post
                  Pretty close I think to Ivan and if I remember right. I fold it in half to put the ends together. Turn 90 degrees in my hands and then fold that in half again. So all the frayed ends are together. I think that goes in half or thirds so it is skinny and long with the width right for the pack. Fold it in thirds song the length (the S Ivan says) and it fits in with maybe a little squishing. I have a NJS blanket and I get it in the bag with enough room for a shelter half with a squish and push with the buckles.
                  Many thanks guys. I tried the folding in thirds with the accordion fold, and it worked! I do like the pack. It's an old one from a guy in CT. named Brad Keune.
                  John Dunn

Comment

Originally posted by mike44thva View Post
                    I prefer this method and also fold my poncho and place it inside the blanket so as to be able to get it out easily in the event of rain.
                    Ben Cwayna

Comment

Working...
                    X