Cartridge Box with Sling and Belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cartridge box with sling and belt?

I use the shoulder sling while mounted and it works better for me . With a pistol, cap box belt knife and a pistol box my belt is heavy enough.
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L Muller View Post
      I use the shoulder sling while mounted and it works better for me . With a pistol, cap box belt knife and a pistol box my belt is heavy enough.
      What soldiers had side arms in general?
      Kevin Ferris

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris41st View Post
        What soldiers had side arms in general?
        This can be answered by completing even a minimal amount of actual research. Try the search function and explore some hard resources. Chances are high you will be rewarded with a wealth of good information.
        Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

Originally posted by PMFerringer View Post
          This can be answered by completing even a minimal amount of actual research. Try the search function and explore some hard resources. Chances are high you will be rewarded with a wealth of good information.
          Awesome! just trying to get some info
          Kevin Ferris

Comment

I hope that did not come across as rude. Simply stating that hard research will always yield more info than originally sought and is always beneficial for bettering impressions.
            Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
            SCAR

Comment

Originally posted by PMFerringer View Post
              I hope that did not come across as rude. Simply stating that hard research will always yield more info than originally sought and is always beneficial for bettering impressions.
              It was a bit rude, but hey we're all adults. I always say "the stupid question is the one not asked"... Questions asked on forums and answered are what they are for, I'm not asking one on facebook or twitter, here is where knowledge is shared and pooled. Some of the best, in depth conversations are in answering "questions", but hey, I'm good. I appreciate your input.
              Kevin Ferris

Comment

That may be a correct statement for most forums, but this one. Had you looked in the forum's FAQs, you would have seen this :

Use the Search Function Before Asking!

We have a real fine search function here. We spent good money to make sure it's the best search function available. Please give it a whirl and you might be surprised how many topics and in what depth a particular subject that you might have interest in has been addressed, readdressed, and so on.

If you find a thread that pertains to your question, read it through... and if you need more info, and the search engine doesn't turn anything else up, by all means.. ask!

Use the forum search function. Also, try google. You'd be surprised at the number of books that google has scanned and made readily available. Every one of them is searchable.

The response you received may have seemed rude to you, but to long term membeers, it is equally rude when new people come here expecting to get all their questions answered. The regular posters here are folks who have been around quite a while. They are very willing to help others because they were once new in this hobby, too. However, they get tired of new members asking one basic question after another after another. These are questions which could be answered by the new member had he or she done a little looking on his/her own with a modicum of looking. Such a new member will get a question or two answered, but then the answers stop as regular posters get tired of spoonfeeding new members.

It's not hatred or elitism. It's just tough love.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                  That may be a correct statement for most forums, but this one. Had you looked in the forum's FAQs, you would have seen this :

Use the forum search function. Also, try google. You'd be surprised at the number of books that google has scanned and made readily available. Every one of them is searchable.

The response you received may have seemed rude to you, but to long term membeers, it is equally rude when new people come here expecting to get all their questions answered. The regular posters here are folks who have been around quite a while. They are very willing to help others because they were once new in this hobby, too. However, they get tired of new members asking one basic question after another after another. These are questions which could be answered by the new member had he or she done a little looking on his/her own with a modicum of looking. Such a new member will get a question or two answered, but then the answers stop as regular posters get tired of spoonfeeding new members.

It's not hatred or elitism. It's just tough love.
                  Copy all good!
                  Kevin Ferris

Comment

Echo that. If you have a cartridge box sling the US 1857 box was most often worn that way, but the one mistake you see most often today is guys wearing the box slung too low, it should be at a height that is just below the waist belt. As previously posted, let period images be your guide. Some cartridge boxes, for example the English accoutrement sets, did not have a provision for wearing on the belt. On August 3, 1775 General Howe, Commander-in-Chief of the British Army in America, ordered, “All soldiers to wear their cartridge boxes over their shoulders, and not around their waists.” (see H. Strachan, British Military Uniforms 1768-1796, Published by Arms & Armament (1975) p. 189). The English system was 6o rounds carried in the cartridge box and ball bag so obviously weight was more of an issue. but it points out the efficiency of carrying by the shoulder sling.

As far as both sling and waist belt at once, yes I have also seen images like that but it was not common practice. As far as the search function, echo that, too. The topic of soldiers and sidearms, well that is a story for another day and time and has nothing to do with how the US cartridge box was most often worn.
                    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-05-2016, 08:27 PM.
                    Craig L Barry
                    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I am coming back to this thread as I have just recently purchased a cartridge box sling. For the last 9 years I have worn and used my cartridge box in N-SSA competition being only on my waist belt. I have just attached the sling, while keeping the box on the belt. It works. If I were to remove the box from the belt, in order to get the belt over the straps, but not going through the box belt loops, the belt would need to be at least 5" higher on the cartridge box.

I bought a 72" long sling - the longest available as stock. So, alternatively, I'd have to hike the belt up higher on my torso.

But, being a fat guy (5'8, 260 pounds), the waist belt for me naturally wants to run under my gut.

For me, the belt runs at a good height and the sling feels comfortable with the belt through the cartridge box loops.

If you were thin like most actual soldiers, you might wear your belt up higher, where your trousers end, and thus be able to wear the belt over the shoulder strap.

I hope you'll forgive my farby things. Some things I have are campaigner quality, others aren't.

I'll say that since the last time I tried using a sling, I've lost about 40 pounds. Things fit much better like they are supposed to when you aren't so fat.

Steve
                      Last edited by maillemaker; 03-02-2020, 06:56 PM.
                      Steve Sheldon

Comment

Working...
                      X