This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make ridge and upright poles for 9x9 A-Tent

I have a 9x9x7 A-Tent and need some assistance on making the poles. I know the ridge pole is usually cut so that it disassembles into two pieces for easier storage.

I have three 2x4's that I need to cut but I am not sure of the specifics

Can anyone offer information?

Thanks
    Anthony Melillo
    Anthony Melillo

Re: How to make ridge and upright poles for 9x9 A-Tent

You can't go wrong following thsee instructions. Lengths are different because modern repop common tents do not conform to period specs for common tents.

In case the coding doesn't work, here's the link : https://books.google.com/books?id=6f...epage&q&f=true
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

A 9X7 A tent i commodious and comfortable though maybe not accurate for all campaigner impressions.
      However, I have one and have used for a staff portrayal.
      When I acquired it, the Army was scrapping the 50lb. Field officers wall tent. The was a pile of tent poles stacked next to the rubbish and I was able to get 34 full length ridge poles 2"X2" Mahogany.
      I made the ridge pole 9' long cut at the middle at a 45 degree angle and fastened a steel sleeve overlapping the joint with a bolt at one side to secure it.
      Each pole came with a metal sleeve with a hole through it which mounted one on each end.
      My tent did not require anything to pierce the canvas on the ridge.
      The uprights were cut to a 7 foot length, ease of storage and carry, One end was dririlled to receive a 1/2" rod which would extend just through the ridge pole metal socket.
      Each upright was cut in half at a 45 with a metal sleeve at the mid point. No additional fixture was required at the uptight mid points as gravity and tension kept them tight.
      No additional work was required except for a lantern bracket for an upright copied from an original in brass. The metal sleeves were all painted and stil serve well.
      Many a cosy night no matter the season, though I do prefer a dog tent.
      Total cost ? Not a lot since the poles were scrap.
      I don'y care to use 2X4 and prefer 2X2.

Erik Simundson
      Erik Simundson

Comment

Most other reenactors I know use poles that are made from 2x4's and look like these
        Click image for larger version

Name:	A-Tent poleset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	225428
        Anthony Melillo

Comment

‘morning,

When you say that you’re unsure of the specifics, I’m not sure if you mean the lengths you need to cut your poles or of making them “disassemble”.

If it’s the length, lay out the tent on its side. Measure the length of the ridge (it may not be exactly 9’ due to shrinkage or what have you). That’s your ridge.

Measure the height of the door (bottom to top of ridge) and subtract 3.5” (for your ridge 2x4) and that gives you the length for your uprights.

I forget the size of the nail, but I used one about the same diameter as my pinky for the pins from the upright. Drill a hole slightly smaller than the nail in your upright, and slightly larger in your ridge. If your tent has grommets for the pins, make sure that you put the uprights in the correct position when drilling the holes and that your pins are long enough. Once you’re sure they’re in place, cut the nail head off with a dremmel or hacksaw and file the ends to remove any burrs.

I’d personally set the tent up to make sure you’ve got the right dimensions before you start halving any of the lumber. It’s just easier, in my opinion. This lets you make any minor adjustments for good fit. When measuring, if in doubt, make it a little long as you an always cut a bit off if necessary.

I also prefer the 45* cut and sleeve, such as Erik described over the bolt together type you showed in the photos. No bolts to lose, or to catch the canvas and tear. Plus it’s a stronger joint. I also use 2x2 for the lumber when possible.

Hope that helps.

Mike
          Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
          www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
          http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Thanks all for the excellent and detailed information
            Originally posted by Calum View Post
            ...If your tent has grommets for the pins..
            Do I have to make the pins longer to go through the grommets? I really don't like the idea of the pin sticking out like that

Originally posted by Calum View Post
            I also prefer the 45* cut and sleeve, such as Erik described over the bolt together type you showed in the photos.
            I like that idea also but can not find sheet metal in this area
            Anthony Melillo

Comment

Blockade Runner will sell you the sheet metal ridge pole sleeve to fit a 2 by 4 with 4 bolts. I have some sleeves from them that are a good 25 years old--wood has failed in a storm but I've salvaged the sleeve and moved it on.

Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Melillo
                Most other reenactors I know use poles that are made from 2x4's and look like these
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]52076[/ATTACH]
                This thread has slid into the world of farb and must stop before some cranky moderator on his lunch break locks it down.

There are modern ways to solve period problems. That photo is a great example. Way back when in the last millennium when I first got in the hobby and didn't know any better, I rushed out and bought a Panther Primative wedge tent made from some kind of fancy fabric. I made a ridge pole from a 2x4 like the one you show in your photo. Wing nuts, too. Sure worked great. As I drifted into the authentic side of the hobby, I began to realize the error of my ways. I dumped the tent and the wing nut center pole. I still have the mega heavy ground cloth with the kewl brass grommets, but it gets used primarily for modern family camping, not CW reenacting.

Please refrain from using modern methods or discussing them on a forum devoted to the authentic side of the hobby. Apply a more period appropriate solution to your period problem. The model should be the example I provided from the quartermaster general's manual, not the solution commonly used in mainstream reenacting. Because things break in the field, a branch cut to size would also be appropriate.

Did you see the size of ridge pole from the manual? That's an odd size. How about the supports? Are they two inches squared or are the four corners milled to create an octogon as some argue? Hmmm.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Apologies Silas. I could not see the instructions from a phone, and am now reading from a laptop and see that a sleeve to fit a split ridge is not desired. . I did not comphrehend what sort of sheet metal he really wanted.

I switched to chamfered ridges and octagon poles in 2007. For reasons utterly incomprehensible to me, they have held up better and have not had the breakage/mortality rate that standard 2 by 2 uprights have. I have not replaced wood in a decade. Prior to that, I'd have some sort of major catastrophic failure in tent wood every couple of years.
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have had an old panther lodge for 30 years but have always used old railroad spikes for tent spikes. You can get rope and make small loops to fit the old railroad spikes. I have also just cut down pine or cedar poles to fit the lengths. My tent was officer or post office mostly. But 2 inch poles were very sturdy. I drilled the hole and used small iron nail-like spikes through the grommets. Poking up a bit didn't matter much. But those like spikes helped keep the round tree poles from falling or rolling off. I had a blacksmith make iron hooks that fit in hand drilled holes on the back up right pole. This was my lantern Hook. But my A frame was mostly CSA Postal impression. But 2 inch pine or cedar poles worked great.
                    Kit Davenport
                    Idaho
                    Kit Davenport

Comment

The question has been answered. Before this goes back further into a slide away from the focus of this forum I am applying the lock.
                      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                      Civil War Digital Digest
                      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X