Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Cleaning Implements for 1861 Springfield

Good morning everyone,

New to the forums. I did a search but still can't come up with a clear answer to my question. I'm looking for a few items in order to field clean my 1861 Springfield. I really like the advice I saw on Blockade Runner's YouTube video. I'm going to try the peroxide, alcohol, and cleaner combo at Stones River. However, I am at a loss trying to find a patch jag for a .58 caliber bore. I see several kits on different sutlers' websites, and the all say "jag not included". I have a jag for a .22, but I figured I need something to fit the bore better.

Also, looking for a worm in case I get a patch lost down in the barrel. Lastly, what are your thoughts on a fouling scraper? Do these work well? https://muzzleloadingandmore.com/pro...-scraper-8-32/

Thanks in advance!!

Sam Chappell
    Sam Chappell

Hi Sam,
    I would try to visit a Civil War relic show to try and fit a wiper to your ramrod. Unless you have an urge to begin collecting multipl of the wiper, you may have a hard time finding something that will thread onto your ramrod. The wiper will be the most important piece in cleaning your musket in the field. A combination tool will be #2.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

S & S Firearms in New York is a great place to go to for implements. I've found Authentic and original items for my Springfield.
      Mickey Holding

Comment

All you need for cleaning is a worm, some tow, a screwdriver/wrench tool, and plenty of water. I like the British tool because it hold a little oil. If you never use jags and patches, you will never have a stuck rammer.
        David Stone

Comment

You said, "field cleaning," so as has already been mentioned above you are talking the very basics. Water, worm, screwdriver/wrench tool/etc. Peroxide and alcohol would not be authentic field cleaning practices. Check out the below link. There are many more like it on the forum.

New to the Authentic Campaigner? Start Here to Learn & Discuss the Beginning of Your Road To Authenticity.

Jason Brown
          Mess No. 1

Comment

Working...
          X