Cleaning My Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning My Weapon

I was working on my cartridge box the other day, I cut up some 1 inch squares to place into the envelope to have for cleaning the rifle in the field,
    I also keep some writing paper in there as well as Medicated paper well you know what it's for, I carry my rifle tools in a poke sack in my haversack, I was just currious as to what the envelope on the front of the cartridge box was used for, did the soliders just rip up old colth to clean with or did the Quatermaster carry rifle cleaning supplys on his wagon, just how well did a williams cleaner bullet work,
    is anyone reproducing a williams cleaner bullet.
    Thanks and Merry Christmass to all
    Doug Potter Family
    Douglas Potter
    E-Mail [email]harley@mfi.net[/email]

Re: Rifle Cleaning material

Hallo Kamerad!

In general...
    That is usually referred to as the "implement pouch" because it was the implements.

The previous "tradition" was a carryover from the era of the longrifle and "jaeger" rifle where the gun tools and patches were carried under the "butt trap" or "patchbox."
    For military rifles, one of the earliest of such arrangements were the Pattern 1800 Baker rifles and the U.S. M1803 rifle- the M1903's "butt box" being for "the wiper, flint, and rag..."
    In addition the U.S. M1841 and M1855 rifles were issued with a spare cone stored in a hole drilled into its implement box.
    With the advent of the M1855 Rifle-musket, interchangeable tools were permitted to a degree not previously known. Two of the older traditional tools, the wiper and the ball screw, were simplified, and the screwdriver/cone wrench was made more versatile by adding a third screwdriver blade. Another new tool was the "tumbler and wire punch" changed in 1861 to the "tumbler and band spring punch" along with a "universal wiper" and a tompion. Soldiers taking their guns apart seems to have been cautiously frowned upon, so initially the "punch" tool was issued ot NCO's only, but with the 1861 Ordnance Manual that policy was amended for officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers to be instructed and practiced on the manner of mounting and dismounting (strictly defining what should and should not be mounted/dismounted- all of which seems to have been accepted slowly...)
    So, basically, in the U.S. system, each soldier should have a screwdriver/ cone wrench combo tool and a wiper, each squad of ten a band-spring and tumbler punch, and a spring vise (carried by the NCO).

And the "implement pouch" was intended for the "implements" which did not stop men for carrying them elsewhere... ;-)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Doug, you might want to cut you cleaning patches a bit larger. 1" square patches work great for .223 bores but are very inefficient for .58 bores. You might want to start with a 2x2 patch and work up from there.

Comment

Also, Doug, what I have found is that beneath the cartridge box tins in the cartridge box is ample space for 15 to 20 cleaning patches. That space of the box is curved, which allows you to use that otherwise empty space for something. It only seems logical to me that it be used for patches, seeing that they add no great amount of weight and the box is, indeed, meant for carrying tools and accouterments for the weapon.
        I certainly agree with Mr. Badgett on the size of the patches. I cut mine just under 2x2 for .58 cal.

Jay Reid
        9th Texas
        Jay Reid

Comment

Hello,
          Tow! A good wad of Tow should be in your cart. box. Tow was used to clean the rifles. My first cart. box made by R. Neece had a wad of Tow in the pouch. First I thought it was a rats nest. Later I found out what the Tow was used for. You can still buy Tow for about $2.00, enough to last several events. tow: short, coarse pieces of flax.
          Cary A. Davisson
          Last edited by ; 12-26-2003, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Tow also has a natural oil that is good for the bore and if you ever shoot a smooth bore with shot (hopefully not at a event) it is correct wadding dateing back to the origins of firearms.

Originally posted by Cary Davisson
            Hello,
            Tow! A good wad of Tow should be in your cart. box. Tow was used to clean the rifles. My first cart. made by R. Neece had a wad of Tow in the pouch. First I thought it was a rats nest. Later I found out what the Tow was used for. You can still buy Tow for about $2.00, enough to last several events. tow: short, coarse pieces of flax.
            Cary A. Davisson

Comment

Rifle Cleaning

pards,

This Rifle Cleaning subject has been a main topic of my talking with friends and have had not much help. Ive been trying to progress as much as i can. I have been taking modern cleaning gear!Yuck!, along with my ramrod attachments. What would be a authentic way to go about taking stuff to reenactments and stuff for being able to have my rifle pass inspection. Anything would help, thanks
              Waylon Pashong
              hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

Re: Rifle Cleaning

Originally posted by hardtack61
                pards,

This Rifle Cleaning subject has been a main topic of my talking with friends and have had not much help. Ive been trying to progress as much as i can. I have been taking modern cleaning gear!Yuck!, along with my ramrod attachments. What would be a authentic way to go about taking stuff to reenactments and stuff for being able to have my rifle pass inspection. Anything would help, thanks
                All I do to clean my rifle is heat up some water, pour it down the barrel, slosh it around a few times. Do that several times then take the nipple off and pour water down it a couple times letting it run out the other end. I bring some torn up bandanas(period looking),stick them through the ramrod and run'em down it until its dry. I then dry the place where the nipple goes. I clear the nipple with a period nipple pick. That'll get it as clean as it'll get and it takes about 10-15 minute.

Lane Reeder
                3rd AR, Texas Brigade

Comment

Waylon,

My cleaning kit in the field consists of some cleaning patches, a worm, and a nipple wrench. In the field, I leave the last cap on the nipple, I pour hot water down the barrel, swish it back and forth and pour out the water. I then use the ramrod and worm to push and pull several cleaning patches down the barrel. I remove the nipple and clean it out with a pick and dry everything before I replace the nipple.

Haven't had a misfire in 9 years of doing this.

At home, I clean more completely.
                  Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Other than the ramrod which is a part of your rifle. All you really need is a worm to attach to the ram rod, and some old shirting material cut into patches, and perhaps some grease from bacon or other meat (don't use salt pork though!) along with the ash from the fire pit, and you have all you need to clean your weapon and oil down the metal to protect against rust on those damp nights when the weapon is left in the stack. A period rifle tool is useful in removing the cone (aka nipple).
                    Brian Hicks
                    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thanks

I really thank you for the quick reply of my question! I like asking before doing!
                      Waylon Pashong
                      hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

Waylon,

Craig Barry just wrote an excellent article on weapon maintainance and cleaning in this Winter 2004 issue of "The Watchdog." I'd recommend picking one up if you don't subscribe. He has his step by step idea of cleaning, both for in the field and after getting home.

Good luck.

Will
                        Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
                        Saginaw City Light Infantry
                        Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
                        Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
                        http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
                        www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Or, for something completely different.... ;-)

"From Rules for the Management and Cleaning of the Rifle Musket, Model 1861, for the Use of Soldiers (applies to the Springfield Models 1855, 1861, and 1863, and more generally to the Enfield Models 1853 and 1858), under "Rules for Cleaning":

It is not essential for the musket to be dismounted {disassembled} every time that it is cleaned; for, after firing it in fine weather, or when there has been no chance for the wet to get between the barrel and the stock, it can be perfectly cleaned in the following manner.

Put a piece of rag or soft leather on the top of the cone, and let the hammer down upon it; pour a gill of water into the muzzle carefully, so that it does not run down the outside; put a plug of wood into the muzzle, and shake the gun up and down, changing the water repeatedly until it comes out clear. When clear, withdraw the leather, and stand the musket on the muzzle for a few moments; then wipe out the barrel (as given in the second rule for cleaning {see below}), and also wipe the exterior of the lock and the outside of the barrel around the cone and cone-seat first with a damp rag, and then with a dry one, and lastly with a rag that has been slightly oiled. In this way, all the dirt due to the firing may be removed without taking out a screw.

2nd. Screw the wiper on to the end of the ramrod, and put a piece of dry cloth, or tow, round it, sufficient to keep it from chafing the grooves of the barrel; wipe the barrel quite dry, changing or drying the cloth two or three times.

3d. Put no oil into the vent, as it will clog the passage, and cause the first primer to miss fire; but, with a slightly oiled rag on the wiper, rub the bore of the barrel,... and immediately insert the tompion into the muzzle."

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This was sent to me a while ago from the National Firearms Muesum.
                            It is the answer to a similar inquiry and I think it is interesting enough to post.

Thank you for your inquiry to the National Firearms Museum.

Little is documented on Civil War arms cleaning/maintenance supplies. British imported arms like the Enfield were shipped with oil containers (and other oil containers were in private's and sergeant's tools). Relic hunters have found considerable numbers of the small oil containers in both Federal and Confederate camps in Virginia - so the troops had them available.

Cleaning consisted primarily of hot water and soap. Sand was used as a rust removal agent and to make barrels "bright." Sutlers offered other patent items for maintaining uniform brass items that could have been applied to brass buttplates. With daily inspection in camp/garrison, many soldiers would have had to keep up with their issue arms on a regular basis.

Sincerely,

Museum Staff
                            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

RE: "From Rules for the Management and Cleaning of the Rifle Musket, Model 1861, for the Use of Soldiers (applies to the Springfield Models 1855, 1861, and 1863, and more generally to the Enfield Models 1853 and 1858), under "Rules for Cleaning":

Curt,
                              Can you direct me to where I can find a complete reprint of this text?
                              Thanks,
                              ---Ed
                              Ed Hagins
                              Death is the common lot of all and the diferance between dyeing to day and to morrow is not much but we all prefer to morrow.
                              Private Thomas B. Barker, 2nd Maine, July 20, 1861

Comment

Working...
                              X