Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Fish

Hey everyone,

My experience with reenacting as a whole is very limited. I first met up with a unit when I was 14, in an attempt to "get my feet wet", as it were. Having social anxiety, I wasn't ready for everything that went along with getting involved with a unit and attending events. About 7 years later, I tried again, both with a Federal unit and with a group of Confederates that ended up being more like neo-Confederate extremists who walked down Steinwehr Avenue in Gettysburg like a gang out of West Side Story. When I decided to part ways with said unit, I was harassed via text and Facebook messaging because I "wasn't a real man". Fun, right?

I'm 27 years old and originally from Thurmont, Maryland, but I moved to Gettysburg in 2016. I moved down to Myrtle Beach last July in an effort to focus on my studies to become a Licensed Battlefield Guide, but I'm planning on moving back to Gettysburg in the next two years. My intention is to get into a Federal campaigner unit when I move back, and for the next two years I want to really get my impression together and strive for authenticity as much as possible. I understand that this will be somewhat difficult without actually belonging to a unit, but distance being an issue, I kind of have to make do with what I've got.

Any assistance in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated. The driving force in my life is the Civil War, and I view reenacting as a way for be to better understand those men who served during that time. It's really all in an effort to become a better historian for me.

Thanks,

Hawkeye Brehm
    Corey A. "Hawkeye" Brehm

Re: Fresh Fish

Welcome aboard Hawkeye! I would highly suggest starting with a search of the archives here at the AC. This place is a literal library of knowledge accumulated by living historians with decades of experience. If you are interested in finding a unit, look in the Units & Recruiting folder here, or visit the Unit Links Page here.

The upcoming EBUFU (Events By Us For Us) are listed at the bottom of the forums and on the front page here.

I think you will find that once you hook up with a good group, they will be more than helpful for you on your journey.

Thanks for coming to the forums. We are always happy to see a new recruit in our ranks.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

Embarrassingly enough, I clicked on this thread thinking it was a ration question.
      John Duffer
      Independence Mess
      MOOCOWS
      WIG
      "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by john duffer
        Embarrassingly enough, I clicked on this thread thinking it was a ration question.
        Duffer, all questions about rations are answered here : http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...?13288-Rations
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Thanks so much Silas. In appreciation I'm mailing you a fresh fish which should arrive in 10 to 15 working days. Enjoy.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG

Comment

Howdy Mr. Brehm,

My recommendation to you would be to research groups that will be available to you when you move back to Gettysburg, contact the one that you determine to join after that research. Some groups that are into the "full realism" will have standards as to what a recruit can and cannot acquire to join ranks. It would be the best option for your budget. And when arriving you will be more readily accepted because of the preliminary work you've invested.

And have fun.

Respectfully

Powell.
            Ted Hadden

Comment

Just want to echo Mr. Powell above, there are a lot of units in the PA-MD-DC area that you could join up with and a lot of variation in those units authenticity. So most definitely do your research and maybe go to some of the events units you are interested in are at. Take a look at them prior to letting them know your interested and figure out if they have the authenticity standard and the mindset you are after.

Good work extracting yourself from your previous group, sounds like it was for the best, and best of luck on your studies!
              Matt Borders

Comment

He's moved on : https://civilwartalk.com/threads/stuck-in-limbo.145977/
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

My snap impression is a slight lack of patience and sense of humor.
                  John Duffer
                  Independence Mess
                  MOOCOWS
                  WIG

Comment

Working...
                  X