Forage caps and how they are worn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forage caps and how they are worn

Recently I have notice a trend. Guys are shaping there brims on there forage caps much like they would a baseball hat. Are there any articles on this subject anywhere? I tried the search function and came up with zilch.

Peter,

Again, we do not allow unsigned or anonymous posts on this forum. According to your user profile, "Flem Smythe" is your screen name and "Peter Smith" is your real name. Per forum rules, you must sign all posts with your real name.

Thank you,
    John Stillwagon
    Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Yellowhammer; 06-07-2004, 12:13 PM.

Re: Forage caps and how they are worn

Follow the photo evidence, I've yet to see a photo of a union soldier w/ a forage cap brim shaped like on a modern baseball cap. If anyone has any photos showing such that would be the way to prove it... Originals that I have seen, period drawings and photo evidence all seem to be lacking for that.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

A lot of flipped up brims, but NEVER shaped like ball caps. However, some Type I style brims will give a appearance of sloping downward a bit. This is due to the shape of the brim and not from intentional creasing or shaping
      [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
      [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
      [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

There was a strong belief through most of the mid-19th Century that the
        larger your forehead, the smarter you were (It's a whole phrenology thing).
        To this end, fashion dictated that you wear your hat/cap on the back of
        your head so that you show the most amount of your forehead as possible.
        (this also dictated hair styles as well). This is why many (but not all) photos
        of CW soldiers have the brims of their caps flipped up or they are wearing a
        cap with a straight brim with the cap on the back of the head.

However, in an attempt to void all absolutes in the world, there are images of
        soldiers with brims curled down. Here is one I had on file and thought I'd
        post them for debate and argument. (if you have any in your collections,
        please share with the group)

Here is a group of soldiers from company F 4th VT. I do think one or two
        could be wearing McDowell caps, but there are a couple that are wearing
        standard forage caps and the brims aren't flipped up or straight. (Sorry for
        the poor scan quality, this was done off my old scanner) (See attachment)

In the same vain, here is a small collection of what most 'kewl' guys in the
        hobby would consider 'unauthentic' hats. So (in my worst Clint Eastwood
        impression) You have to ask yourself one question: If a guy showed up to
        one of your events wearing a hat like this....would you let him fall in with
        you? Well, would you...punk?

Unauthentic Hat 1: From group shot taken around a 200 Pound
        Parrott Rifle Located in Fort Gregg on Morris Island, SC – 1865
        http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/images/062.jpg

Unauthentic Hat 2: Taken from a group shot around The "Dictator"-
        Petersburg, VA October 1864
        http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/images/290.jpg

Unauthentic Hat 3: Colonel James H. Childs 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry - Westover Landing, VA, August 1862
        http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/images/241.jpg

Go ahead...talk amongst yourselves....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dusty27; 06-04-2004, 08:23 AM.
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Thankyou Mr. Daley for the interesting info and most of all the photos!!

Comment

Heres a few pictures of soldiers wearing forage caps. I think they themselves can succesfully debunk the baseball cap thing. Notice in the first picture they are wearing, as Mr. Daley stated, very tilted back. Same with the next picture, you get the feeling they are wearing their caps very high. The man with the forage cap in the third picture wears his fairly low, but i suspect these men were trying to recreate (in a CDV) a winter camp so he would try to stay warm. The fourth picture as well the men are wearing their caps high.

Riley Ewen
            Attached Files
            I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
            Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
            Hard Head Mess
            Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Check these guys out.
              Attached Files
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I've always thought that the hats on most of the photos I've seen are tilted back on the head so the shadow caused by the brim does not obscure the face in the photo. I've had photographers tell me that in the past. Just a thought...
                Warren Clark

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack
                  I think they [the photos] themselves can succesfully debunk the baseball cap thing.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the first guy in the first picture wearing his cap like a baseball cap?

I think you can find hundreds of thousands of pics of guys wearing their brims up or flat. However, I just don't want folks to think that if you wear it the other way (bent downward) that it's a sign of being some sort of ignorant farb.
                  Last edited by CJDaley; 06-04-2004, 02:26 PM.
                  [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Chris, One of the styles of caps that you sell (made by Joel) and I can't remember the name of it, although I own one, has a naturally curving brim like a baseball cap. You couldn't flip it up or flatten it if you wanted to, without destroying the finish. It's a thin bill and curved. Looks like the one you point out in the photo above, guy on the left, just like it. Joe
                    Last edited by 13thnhv; 06-04-2004, 04:15 PM.
                    Joe Madden
                    13th New Hampshire Vols.
                    Co. E
                    Unattached

Comment

Ditto, I just got my "type 1" cap and it bends a little down like a baseball cap, though not quite that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Daley
                        Here is a group of soldiers from company F 4th VT. I do think one or two could be wearing McDowell caps, but there are a couple that are wearing standard forage caps and the brims aren't flipped up or straight.
                        Chris,

They've GOT to be farbs, they have A tents.

I just hate it when you debunk our prejudices this way. :tounge_sm
                        Bill Cross
                        The Rowdy Pards

Comment

That brim almost looks like a McDowell. Maybe his hat shrank causeing it to pull the brim that way.

:tounge_sm

Comment

The brim is like the McDowell style. And I believe the one that Chris sells made by Joel Bohy's Medical Corps hat.
                            I am, etc.
                            Thomas Gingras
                            Awkward Squad Mess
                            Columbia Rifles
                            Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Forgive me If I missed the answer. But in regards to the Photo's that Mr. Dailey provided with the brim of the hat pulled down. Was this a style that one would do, ie: would they get the hat and pull the brim down or was this a natural occurence with long periods of wear.

Thanks
                              Daniel MacInnis
                              Thanks
                              Daniel MacInnis
                              Adair Guards
                              Commonwealth Grays
                              [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X