Forage caps and how they are worn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forage caps and how they are worn

When it comes to the McDowell it is the style of the brim right out of the box so to speak. It resembles a cut down soft shako to me, and while I am not sure maybe where the style coems from.
    I am, etc.
    Thomas Gingras
    Awkward Squad Mess
    Columbia Rifles
    Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Not that I could back this up if I wanted to...but many of the images appear as though the soldiers are true Americans - wearing their headgear because they're required to, but just barely so. As if saying "How much of this hat can I have hanging off my head and still be considered properly "in uniform?"
      I say this because of the whole American tradition of being a peace-loving country made up of civilian soldiers. Doesn't look professional, but then again they may not want to give that appearance in the first place.

Jay Reid
      9th Texas
      Jay Reid

Comment

Chris,

In your post you state: "I think you can find hundreds of thousands of pics of guys wearing their brims up or flat. However, I just don't want folks to think that if you wear it the other way (bent downward) that it's a sign of being some sort of ignorant farb."

With all due respect, I think the pic you posted is misleading as the cap on the right clearly has a different style of brim than the other two. Yes, a cap like the Brooks contract cap or any number of "McDowell" varieties would have a curved brim but a soldier with a long oval head could cause a cap to flip down rather than up. However, I don't think any of that I supports the unauthentic practice of reenactors who purposefully crush their flat brimmed caps into the equivalent of a modern baseball cap.

If someone were to buy an authentic reproduction of a cap and the brim happened to turn down and curve, fine. However, I've never seen anything to support the practice of purposefully inflicting modern stylistic sensabilities on a period cap brim.
        John Stillwagon

Comment

I totally agree John with the statement that people wouldn't purposely try to curve the brim down, but the photo in my opinion isn't misleading, it proves that some caps (and head shapes as you mentioned) do force it that way.

I'm really more interested in avoiding the words "never" and "always" when people talk about photo analysis and reenacting practices.

I've seen and examined about 45 original caps. I've never put any of them on my head, but when putting them on manequin forms some caps do have a natural tendancy to curve down, most stay straight and a few pop up naturally. (The picture of Alfred Bellard's government issue cap in "Gone for a Soldier" is a prime example of the first and his private purchase cap is a prime example of the last.)
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Hallo Herr Jay!

"Not that I could back this up if I wanted to...but many of the images appear as though the soldiers are true Americans - wearing their headgear because they're required to, but just barely so."

I believe you are perhaps missing the entire "concept" of the wearing of hats at the time of the Civil War- in that the hat or cap was often viewed as a "projection of self" and a "statement" that the owner/wearer wanted to publically make about himself, whether rich man, poor man, beggarman, thief...

Granted, we do not what was inside a someone's head when we look at some of the "weird expressions" seen in CW images- but I think it wrong that they are 'true Americans' merely forced into wearing headgear.

Ever since John F. Kennedy changed mens' hat fashion, and the recent "revival" brought back hats but not hat etiquette and manners- we keep getting distanced from CW concepts and practices more each day.

Switching hats (no pun intended)...

From a Moderator and Forum Member point of view (POV), the AC Forum should not be about "Not that I could back this up if I wanted to...but..."
            If it is not serious, documentable, or even scholarly it should not be posted.
            I would suggest, try taking your idea/theory/hypothesis and see what research and the historical record says in support or contradiction of it, then make your case?

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

For what it's worth, here are extracted circa August 1863 images of Company G, 93rd New York Volunteer Infantry. It's as good a cross-section of different forage cap styles as I've seen. Note that some men have either removed their chin-straps or they weren't put on in the first place. Also note the rather wide strap on the drummer's cap.

Two other little tidbits are that the men are wearing a mix of "SNY" and "US" belt buckles and have almost uniformly either turned down either their dress coat or shirt collars.

Regards,

Mark D. Jaeger
              markj@purdue.edu
              Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Boy what a bunch of more farbs! Kepis, brass bugles, no chin straps, SNY buckles, civi shirt on a fed and a overly dressed drumer boy who seems to be 12-15!!! :tounge_sm. Really that is a great photo and not one of those guys looks alike uniform wise.

Comment

Great picture thanks for the post!
                  I am, etc.
                  Thomas Gingras
                  Awkward Squad Mess
                  Columbia Rifles
                  Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Working...
                  X