Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Staying warm

Hallo Kamerden!

All many good points here. With the exception of heating up a non-sedimentary (porous) rock and sleeping with it, I would add little...

In another century, I have been "out and about" with a single blanket 12 months out of the year for many years- the worst being at Minus 12 degrees and Minus 6 degrees.

I would add these three though:

1. Leave the expectation of an 8 hour uninterrupted, sound, "Good Night's Sleep" at home in the Modern World. With our 21st century concepts of climate control, and nice beds and bedding- it only gets in the way of life in the Past. (Soldiers often sleep when and where they can, and catch up on lost moments catch as catch can...)
    2. Use the full range of surviving documented "tricks of the trade" to do it as "they did" as they knew what they were doing. The larger part of that is bundling and sharing gum blankets and woolen blankets AND sleeping together to contribute body heat as well as prevent heat loss due to radiation and convection through a single blanket (read as leave the 21st century Homophobia at home, or be cold and miserable....)
    3. Do not bundle and load up on clothing to the point one sweats damp or wet- it furthers the heat loss. Wear as little as one can to bed, and add as needed. While woolens can keep 80% of their heat retention factor even wet, for some low temperatures 80% is not enough.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well seems you have covered every little trick of the trade cept one. One really cold nights you can did a shallow depression about 6 inches in the ground. Then rake coals into the depression and recover with dirt. Tamp the dirt down firmly. then place ground cloth and blankets atop your covered pit. Only once have I woken up to smoldering blankets.
      If you do have two blankets, lay both out flat on the ground, fold one over on the left side, the the other on the right. Hence you are wrapped up like a cacoon but it shal help to trap the body heat from escaping from the edges of the blankets. Then cover with oilcloth.
      Dusty Lind
      Running Discharge Mess
      Texas Rifles
      BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

If you can...

... pick your spot to sleep with some thought.
        Wind and wet are your big enemies. Find a spot -- for yourself or for a group -- where wind is blocked. Even a little blocking can help. A log, a rock, a bush, a windrow of hay or grass, even "wind defilade" in a dip in the ground -- anything so that the air around your body is still, or at least quieter than the air out in the open, on the ridge, etc. If cold is an issue, pick a defensive site with some built-in advantages.

Generally speaking -- generally, there are always exceptions -- the side of a hill is better than either the very top (exposed to wind) or the valley at the bottom (cold collects there overnight). The problem is that the top and the valley are both superficially more attractive -- picturesque, almost.

I don't worry too much about how many cloth blankets, but I do try to carry a lightweight oil cloth in addition to the rubber blanket. One goes under, the oil cloth goes on top. In the absence of anything else, it will block the wind very effectively and it keeps the dew off.

So will trees or brush. Dew will form on the highest object, whether that is a tree, a bush, grass, or you. Give it a choice besides you: Sleep under something.

Whether or not you can have a fire depends on what the event is. If you're out on picket on active campaign, actively maneuvering, only the supports might have fires, and a concern there would be to put the supports in a dip where the fire wouldn't give away the location. The front posts would not have fires even if things were arranged so some folks were supposed to be able to sleep. If the lines have been settled, the armies not moving, we know from accounts the pickets would arrive at a condition at some times and places where they didn't chew on each other, and the situation with fires might be relaxed. They all knew where the other guys were at that point, which is one of the purposes of pickets.

Some of this never changes, just as essential military principles haven't changed since the Assyrians or whatever. "Band of Brothers", "Crossroads" episode, shows the 101st arriving outside Bastogne on a bitter cold night. While at the staging area, they poured gasoline into pits and got roaring fires going to get warm -- but when they get out on the line and dig in, there will be no fires.

I mention all that because sometimes the history being depicted means we need to think about where we are and what is, nominally, going on around us -- not just whether or not we can get warm. We in fact did that at Struggle for Statehood on Friday night, when, in a situation that involved a small federal detachment sent out on a limited mission into an area where Confederate troops had recently been active, we had a cold camp, no fire, on the site of a hill for our overnight bivouac, a couple of hundred yards away from the spot in the valley where we cooked our rations. We had a bit of ice in some canteens in the morning, but we all survived.

Hope this is of some service.
        Bill Watson
        Stroudsburg

Comment

I may have missed it in the other replies or it may be too obvious to mention but the biggest difference a "trick" has made for me is pulling the cover over your head and harnessing the 98.6 exhaust. Try this tonight with your regular covers and see how quick it's too hot to stay there. I also endorse the 'sleep next to a fire' and 'don't expect to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time' schools of thought.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by KarinTimour
            I especially remember a very comprehensive list of suggestions from Charles Heath. If anyone has that "keeper" in a form that they could repost, it would be a really valuable addition for people new to the hobby.
            Charles' article is still on-line at the Rowdy Pard's site. It's accessible through the AC website by clicking Links: Articles: Sleeping Campaign.

John T.
            John Taylor

Comment

I got miserably cold at my first event when I didn't sleep next to the fire. The main culprits were wind and cold feet. I remedied the cold feet by changing into a dry pair of socks as I slid between the blankets.
              The wind seemed to always find the "seam" where the folded edges of my gum and wool blanket met. Plus, I would invariably open the "seam" every time I rolled over. I remedied the problem with some "blanket pins." I take my blanket and fold it in half lengthwise. Then, fold the bottom foot or so up, to form a pouch. Pin it with the blanket pins. This keeps your feet from poking out and wind from getting in. Then, lay the pouch on your open gum blanket (an oilcloth will work here,too) and fold the gum over just like you did the wool blanket. Stick the pins through the grommets in the gum and right through the wool blanket. This will secure the gum and the wool blanket together and stop all the drafts. You are basically making a sleeping bag with all period ingredients. Then you just slide down in your bag with your dry socks and sleep warm all night. Don't expect to be able to crawl out in a hurry, though! It's a tight fit.
              I also highly recommend the procurement of some type of sleeping hat or balaclava. I wear one of Karin Timour's balaclavas to sleep in and it makes an unbelievable amount of difference on a cold night! I sleep toasty warm on nights when everything around me is covered in frost.
              Good luck!

Cpl. Tommy Rollings
              8th SCVI

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone
                Sleep next to a fire.
                I did that at Averasboro and woke up to find Charles Heath stamping out a flaming shelter half on my greatcoat. :cry_smile Several other folks have had expensive or potentially dangerous close encounters with flying embers, so I prefer to sleep away from the flames. I can't always get away from the flames on the Internet, so I suppose it's just instinct at this point. :tounge_sm
                Originally posted by PogueMahone
                Getting out of a wind will make all the difference in the world.... The best way to freeze is to sleep by yourself under a pile of blankets.
                Pogue's right and what he says is authentic, too. Spooning's what they did, because they couldn't wait until the drive home from the event to catch some Zzz's at the rest stop. Lots of fellers will just get up and talk around the fire if they can't sleep, effectively ruining everyone else's beauty rest, too. My son and I spoon unless I'm an officer, even though I snore and he tosses & turns all night. Between us, on the coldest nights, we have two blankies, four gummies/ground cloths and two greatcoats (if we're Federals).

One tip not mentioned in the Heath article on the old RP web site (but which I'm pretty sure I learned from him) is, warm or cold, dig out a small depression where your hips and shoulders go. This allows you some ability to turn on your side in the night, which is especially helpful on chilly nights when you want to tuck your legs up close to your body or if you're spooning and the pile "turns over." It also allows a tighter "fit" for your ground cloth and blanket, preventing a cold air pocket from making you miserable.

Finally, try to eat well before turning in. Hunger makes you sleep lighter, at least it does for me. A cracker or two before extinguishing all lights will make the tendency to wake up a little less noticeable.
                Bill Cross
                The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

"I did that at Averasboro and woke up to find Charles Heath stamping out a flaming shelter half on my greatcoat."

As did my Kamerad Jay White at Outpost. The ember caught the shelter half, the (Daley) greatcoat he had borrowed from me, and his trousers. Chris Daley did a great job of making period repairs to the coat, but every time I see the scortched portion of his trousers... ;-) :-)

All of my 18th century comrades' C.J. Wilde hand-woven blankets have at least one or more burn holes from jumping embers and sparks. Her blankets do not burn, but the ember catches and starts the wool glowing in a growing circle or ring- some times they go out on their own right away and one only gets a so-called "cigarette burn." Other times, the hole may grow to an inch, and I have seen some as large as 6-8 inches.

We have gone to a concept of "fire watch." Rather than everyone go to "bed" at once, when needed, we "do rotating duty" keeping the fire going for the warmth and benefit of all, and the "watch" assumes the responsibility for jumping embers and smouldering blankets, greatcoats, etc. It works well, as everyone benefits and gets more sleep, instead of everyone being cold and awake when the fire goes out two hours later....not to mention the "spark catchers." ;-) (In wilderness areas, it also works well for unwanted Night Creatures such as snakes, bears, and Indians...)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for all the great tips. I've tried to get my pards to spoon before but they do have a certain 21st century homophobia, so I just freeze to death normally. I remember one reply saying I shouldn't bring the quilt. Why is that, as it is the warmest article I have.

Pvt.Chris Anderson
                    5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

How in heaven's name do you carry three blankets? Since I haven't seen it, here's the article by Mr. Charles Heath on sleeping warm:

Sleeping Campaign by Yourself
                      by Charles Heath

Copyright 1995, 2004

This works down to about 15 degrees. I realize "those people" have much colder weather up yonder, but the "teens" mean cold weather down here. Let's put the fresh fish to bed. If his feet are warm, you have won half the battle. If both his head and feet are warm, you've done well. Just burp him as needed

Bayonet & Pocketknife - Grub any roots, stems and rocks from your pallet footprint. Use the bayonet to loosen the soil, and level it if need be. Clear away pine cones, sticks, gum balls, galls, and other debris. The ground is your insulation, so you want to form a good weld between your ground cloth and the soil. You and improve this a bit by making a cushion of pine needles, grass, or leaves between to small saplings or fence rails as if a feather bed. Yes, that mattress goes under the ground cloth.

Canteen - In the winter, make sure it is only half full. A full canteen will split when it freezes solid. Place the canteen to the left of your head, so you may find it in the dark. (Right side if you are a lefty.) Remember to develop a placement pattern for your uniform and equipment items. This will serve you well in the future when you should have been sleeping on your arms, but a lax commander let you fling your equipment everywhere.

Shoes - Take your shoes off, and put your hat over them. The hat keeps out light rain and dew. They will ventilate normally with the hat covering. If it is pouring down rain, just leave your shoes on for the night, and change your socks in the morning. Shoes can be made more water resistant with applications of bacon grease or other animal fat left over from ration issue.

Feet - Massage your feet thoroughly. Improving circulation leads to increased warmth, and it may get a few kinks out of your back. You can use your jacket as a feet wrapper on cold nights, or as a pillow wrapped around a cartridge box.

Socks - If you have a dry pair of socks, and you'd better, put them on just before retiring for the night. Take the old pair of socks and turn 'em inside out. Place these socks over your nice dry socks. They will wick away the sweat, and become your dry pair for the next night. Your feet will also have 2 layers of socks plus the jacket as protection.

Suspenders - Loosen the suspenders, so you won't pop a button in the night. You can do the toilet tuck, if you wish. What’s that you say? Just undo the suspenders from the rear buttons and shove them into your pocket as if you were taking a dump in the woods.

Knapsack - This is a better pillow, if you have one. Fluff it up a little, and enjoy. If no knapsack, then use the handy cartridge box. It is small, but it works.

Ground cloth / gum blanket / poncho - Use this as the first layer in the foldover sandwich. Lay the gum blanket / poncho rubber side down. The shelter half can be a good substitute, if the you do not yet have a groundcloth or gum blanket. Otherwise, keep the shelter half handy for a dewcloth. For the extra weight, two gum blankets can’t be beat, and gum blankets make a dandy shelter half.

Blanket - Your blanket should be long enough to cover your head and feet. If you are tall, curl up a bit. If you are short, be happy to have such an advantage. If you can sandwich into the blanket/ground cloth arrangement, then fine. If not, don't worry about it. Some like to fold the blanket once on the long axis so you climb in like a sleeping bag, and if have a second blanket, fold it along the long axis and lay the whole thing on top of you - its the equivalent of three blankets. This is nice if you have an extra blanket, but that’s rare. Most people merely mummify themselves with their one blanket in an evil sort of twist. Find your own level of comfort in this.

Headwear - Those funny little smoking hats have a purpose, but a good flannel or monmouth cap is hard to beat in cool weather. Keep some kind of headwear handy, and use it. You'll lose a lot of heat from that old bald head, if you don't keep it covered. Less heat if you still have hair. I see pards use Crimean Balaclavas, and they look mighty comfy, too. A good woolen scarf can be wrapped around your head, as if one of those old cartoon characters with a toothache. Looks stupid, but it is warm.

Wind - Find a place to sleep that is out of the wind. If you have to choose between a windbreak and a fire, go with the windbreak. A good low hanging cedar or other ground hugging tree works well for this in the woodland environment. If you are in a built up area, determine the wind direction, and bed accordingly. Avoid inside chimney corners as they are frequently used as urinals. Getting next to a log works, as does piling up a little berm of soil or snow on the windward side, and those who sleep next to the firewood pile are probably there for more than just the altruistic reason of adding a log to the fire now and then. You can make a lean-to or shebang, but it's more work taking it down in the morning. Besides, if the officer in charge doesn't order it, then canvas shouldn't be sprouting.

Fire - Spoking works well. Use your judgement as to whether you want toasty feet or toasty skull. Documentation has the boys of ’61-’65 pointing feet in or feet out, and don’t let anyone tell you differently. If you are my age, you'll get up once in the night anyway, so don't forget to toss a log on the fire. A good trick is to keep 3-4 pieces of firewood by your side to toss on the fire so you don’t have to go tripping over to the squaw wood pile in the middle of the night.

Wood - Put denser wood such as cherry, beech, or persimmon on the fire before retiring. The fire should still be warm in the morning. Pine burns fast, and you’ll be up in a few minutes looking to put some more wood. Wet wood warmed near the fire can be both a reflector and a way to dry it.

Musket - Put it in the fold of your blanket. This discourages thieves, and keeps your piece nice and warm. Stacking is good at events with some form of security, but if it is only you and the messmates, think about securing the musket next to you, and putting other pilferable items close at hand.

Great Coat - If you happen to have one, you almost have a sleeping bag. Use it as a second blanket, and with the cape flipped up it covers the head nicely.

Optional Sweet or Irish Potato - Stick a sweet potato about 4" under the coals, so your breakfast is cooked and ready to eat when you open your peepers at the first tap of the drum. Laugh now, eat hearty later.

There is a huge difference between sharing the discomfort of the elements and being miserable. A little chill or breeze up the blanket opening should be expected. Use common sense, and if you are having problems let someone know, or, better yet, spoon with them to share some blankets and body heat.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                      Past President Potomac Legion
                      Long time member Columbia Rifles
                      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

For completeness, here is "Sleeping Campaign with a Pard" by Mike Murley.

Sleeping Campaign with a Pard
                        by Mike Murley
                        (all rights reserved)
                        The veteran "Boys of '61" usually had a 'pard' -- their inseperable companion who shared all the rigours of army life. Your pard toasted your bacon and made skillagee while you rustled up some fence rails or captured a fierce chicken that had challenged the pickets. Pards also shared their blankets on a cold night -- a common practice in a period when sharing beds to stay warm in drafty, unheated, and uninsulated houses was more common than sleeping alone. Once we put our kneejerk 20th century reactions away, its a great way to sleep campaign.

The steps are really the same as sleeping alone - only doubled. Two (or more) pards mean twice the gum blankets, blankets and (sometimes) great coats.

Lay one gum blanket / poncho on the ground - gum side down. If you have straw, leaves or any other insulation, put the gum on that first. Place one (or two - if you have four) blankets down on that.

Now, you and your pard lay down. Use your knapsacks as pillows and follow all the good advice in Mr Heath's piece above. Toss a blanket (or two) and your great coats (if you have them) over yourselves. Traditionally, pards 'spooned' back to front and the importance of staying warm brought them close together (Lee was known to sleep this way with one of his staff officers, as were Jackson and Longstreet - and no one called them anything). Moderns are too phobic to do that, so most modern pards sleep back to back or on their backs.

The "Boys of '61" often slept four to a dog tent or shebang, and often as many as six in a common ("wedge") tent in a fixed camp or winter quarters. Obviously, they got tight.
                        John Taylor

Comment

Use the full range of surviving documented "tricks of the trade" to do it as "they did" as they knew what they were doing.
                          Pray, let me add something to this discussion about another period piece of advice....

The National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick is in possession of an original little sheet/pamphlet with "Advice from an Old Soldier". I imagine that these were handed out to recruits.

One of the pieces of "advice" was to line your blanket with brown drill, as "the old soldier" claims that it only adds 4 oz. of weight, but doubles the warmth.

I don't know if this will help, but it's something we're going to try. I've got the drill and am going to dye it this weekend.

Cheers,

Miss Katie Guslick

Comment

Thanks a lot to everybody that gave advice on this question. Most of my unit sleeps in A-frames on cots so I never bothered to ask them.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
                            5th Geo.

Comment

If you can find it, I strongly recommended getting the book "The Tirailleurs of the 4th Louisiana Infantry" by Thomas H. Richey. Richey has found a wealth of information about this regiment which served in the western theater including one of the ways the men used to stay warm outside Nashville in December 1864.
                              Here is a great quote from page 186.
                              "The brigade arrived near Nashville about 2 PM, December 2nd. Lee's Corps, with the Tirailleurs, was in the center of the Confederate line with Cheatham's Corps on the right and Stewart's Corps on the left.
                              At sunset rations were issued: one pound barbecued meat, one pound of corn meal, and three ready made corn dodgers (corn meal, flour, and water in a batter fried in pork grease).
                              The company was so small at this time that the men all messed together. For shelter, a blanket was pegged down at one end and elevated in the slanting direction on sticks. An oil cloth or rubber blanket was placed on the ground. Two men usually slept together and covered themselves with their blankets and put a second rubber cloth on top of all this. A fire was built in front of this rude shelter. The Tirailleurs gave up on their skillet and fried their salt pork in one half of a Federal-issue smooth sided canteen. It was light to carry and could be used to dig ditches."

Here is another good quote from around late October and early November 1864 at Florence, Alabama page 180.
                              "...The men of the Tirailleurs had found that life in the open had hardened them to the cold, and most refused to lug around heavy overcoats. Trasimond's illness [Note: The illiness was diarrhea.] had scared him and he knew that if he got sick again he would need a warm coat. [Note: He is carrying a overcoat now.] By this time in the war nearly every overcoat in the army was captured from the Yankees."

I hope this helps.

James Wooten, Interpretive Ranger

Comment

Build a shebang with a least one other pard, 3 is better. An A frame design with one of the sides wide open seems to work best. Make sure you block off all but one opening. Put your fire pit about 3 to 4 feet infront of the opening to your dwelling, and build a reflecting wall of logs, rocks, etc.. about 2 ft high. Keep a small fire burning all night, the heat will be reflected back onto the both of you as you catch some shut eye. Always keep a fireguard up and awake. One or two hour shifts are not that bad, but this is the fellow who keeps everybody from becoming a crispy critter or looking for CJ Daley in the morning. I have used this in survival training and with nothing but pine boughs and pine needles, stayed reasonably comfortable on some pretty darn cold nights.
                                Vince Jackson
                                Straggler mess

Comment

Working...
                                X