Staying warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Staying warm

Good call, Millie Fillmore! I saw that little circular, too. That's a good idea, and right from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Nic Ellis

Comment

"Hot coffee in the canteen" Make sure the canteen is not lined with bees wax, or you will be drinking chunks of bees wax for ages. :cry_smile

Crabby
      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by GaReb
        I remember one reply saying I shouldn't bring the quilt. Why is that, as it is the warmest article I have.

Pvt.Chris Anderson
        5th Geo. Infantry
        Chris

I recomend you put this load together and walk about 5 miles with it, and you will see why all those blankets are more trouble than they are worth. Generaly speaking wool blankets and wool coverlets are more practical to a soldier for a couple of reasons. One they are lighter/less bulky, and two wool retains its warming characteristics even when it is wet. Cotton on the otherhand looses all its heat retention when it is wet. There is a referance to a soldier writting his brother who was about to join up, and telling him not to bring a quilt for these very reasons.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

When it's just a little cold, i usually just get piss drunk, lay my ground cloth down first and roll up in my blanket on top of that. I too also wear a sleeping cap. In really cold weather i do the previous and wear a greatcoat.
          Ethan S. Gallo

Comment

Ethan,

I sure hope you're kidding. Getting drunk is one of the worst things you can do to keep warm - and that's not even addressing the safety aspect of drunk/hungover reenactors.

Phil Campbell
            Phil Campbell

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Alcohol provides a false momentary "burn" and then procedes to dilate blood vessels causing increased heat loss in the case of radiation and convection.

The question of "bulk" as maximum is a false econony. Two lighter items are often well warmer than one heavier one- as it is the "layering" effect than prevents heat loss due to radiation to the ambient environment as well as convection to the ground, damp non-wool amd some clothing or blankets, or humidity in the air.
              I believe that is why a Civil War soldier typically (NUG) received a greatcoat and a blanket- the two being warmer than a far heavier blanket or far heavier greatcoat alone.
              In my wilderness experiments (the "worst" on snow and ice at Minus 12 and Wind Chill Factor Minus 60), I "supplemented" my one double blanket with two shirts and a vest- having long since given up on a heavy, bulky, woolen greatcoat which was heavy to carry and less efficient and less effective than lighter layers trapping air and crating "dead space" against radiation and convection heat loss.
              While the thought of a very thick and heavy blanket is appealing, too much clothing as well as "too much" blanket will cause to be toasty warm for about 15-30 minutes. Then one starts to sweat. With the sweat comes damp garments. And with damp garments, comes the cold and shivers for the rest of the night. (A second False Economy, that; bundling up in everything one can get their hands before going to bed...)

But, all in all, each comrade is unique and special in their own way. Meaning, not everyone reacts , responds, and deals with heat and cold the same way- and not every woodsy art, period or mdoern skill, craft, method, and trick, is going to work for EVERY lad. A secret is to try, experiment, and find out what works best for you.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
              Northern European Glacial Type Mess
              Sprung Out of a Glacier Fully Born
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I agree with you chris on the quilt issue only. If your doing a reb impression you should have all the reason in the world to have a quilt. Now the spooning thing, well I have to agree with your "homophobe" pards there. My impression can only go so far. I would have to be in a modern day POW situation to do that, and it would have to be after a long period of beatings, torture, and many cold nights for that feeling to wear down. But go with the quilt reb.
                Billy Hiatt

Originally posted by GaReb
                Thanks for all the great tips. I've tried to get my pards to spoon before but they do have a certain 21st century homophobia, so I just freeze to death normally. I remember one reply saying I shouldn't bring the quilt. Why is that, as it is the warmest article I have.

Pvt.Chris Anderson
                5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

Mr. Heath that laundry list of ideas is outstanding!! I am going to be trying out almost all of your ideas for the Franklin event at the beginning of Oct 04. Thankyou
                  Billy Hiatt
                  K Co., 13th Iowa grandchild

Originally posted by GrumpyDave
                  How in heaven's name do you carry three blankets? Since I haven't seen it, here's the article by Mr. Charles Heath on sleeping warm:

Sleeping Campaign by Yourself
                  by Charles Heath

Copyright 1995, 2004

This works down to about 15 degrees. I realize "those people" have much colder weather up yonder, but the "teens" mean cold weather down here. Let's put the fresh fish to bed. If his feet are warm, you have won half the battle. If both his head and feet are warm, you've done well. Just burp him as needed

Bayonet & Pocketknife - Grub any roots, stems and rocks from your pallet footprint. Use the bayonet to loosen the soil, and level it if need be. Clear away pine cones, sticks, gum balls, galls, and other debris. The ground is your insulation, so you want to form a good weld between your ground cloth and the soil. You and improve this a bit by making a cushion of pine needles, grass, or leaves between to small saplings or fence rails as if a feather bed. Yes, that mattress goes under the ground cloth.

Canteen - In the winter, make sure it is only half full. A full canteen will split when it freezes solid. Place the canteen to the left of your head, so you may find it in the dark. (Right side if you are a lefty.) Remember to develop a placement pattern for your uniform and equipment items. This will serve you well in the future when you should have been sleeping on your arms, but a lax commander let you fling your equipment everywhere.

Shoes - Take your shoes off, and put your hat over them. The hat keeps out light rain and dew. They will ventilate normally with the hat covering. If it is pouring down rain, just leave your shoes on for the night, and change your socks in the morning. Shoes can be made more water resistant with applications of bacon grease or other animal fat left over from ration issue.

Feet - Massage your feet thoroughly. Improving circulation leads to increased warmth, and it may get a few kinks out of your back. You can use your jacket as a feet wrapper on cold nights, or as a pillow wrapped around a cartridge box.

Socks - If you have a dry pair of socks, and you'd better, put them on just before retiring for the night. Take the old pair of socks and turn 'em inside out. Place these socks over your nice dry socks. They will wick away the sweat, and become your dry pair for the next night. Your feet will also have 2 layers of socks plus the jacket as protection.

Suspenders - Loosen the suspenders, so you won't pop a button in the night. You can do the toilet tuck, if you wish. What’s that you say? Just undo the suspenders from the rear buttons and shove them into your pocket as if you were taking a dump in the woods.

Knapsack - This is a better pillow, if you have one. Fluff it up a little, and enjoy. If no knapsack, then use the handy cartridge box. It is small, but it works.

Ground cloth / gum blanket / poncho - Use this as the first layer in the foldover sandwich. Lay the gum blanket / poncho rubber side down. The shelter half can be a good substitute, if the you do not yet have a groundcloth or gum blanket. Otherwise, keep the shelter half handy for a dewcloth. For the extra weight, two gum blankets can’t be beat, and gum blankets make a dandy shelter half.

Blanket - Your blanket should be long enough to cover your head and feet. If you are tall, curl up a bit. If you are short, be happy to have such an advantage. If you can sandwich into the blanket/ground cloth arrangement, then fine. If not, don't worry about it. Some like to fold the blanket once on the long axis so you climb in like a sleeping bag, and if have a second blanket, fold it along the long axis and lay the whole thing on top of you - its the equivalent of three blankets. This is nice if you have an extra blanket, but that’s rare. Most people merely mummify themselves with their one blanket in an evil sort of twist. Find your own level of comfort in this.

Headwear - Those funny little smoking hats have a purpose, but a good flannel or monmouth cap is hard to beat in cool weather. Keep some kind of headwear handy, and use it. You'll lose a lot of heat from that old bald head, if you don't keep it covered. Less heat if you still have hair. I see pards use Crimean Balaclavas, and they look mighty comfy, too. A good woolen scarf can be wrapped around your head, as if one of those old cartoon characters with a toothache. Looks stupid, but it is warm.

Wind - Find a place to sleep that is out of the wind. If you have to choose between a windbreak and a fire, go with the windbreak. A good low hanging cedar or other ground hugging tree works well for this in the woodland environment. If you are in a built up area, determine the wind direction, and bed accordingly. Avoid inside chimney corners as they are frequently used as urinals. Getting next to a log works, as does piling up a little berm of soil or snow on the windward side, and those who sleep next to the firewood pile are probably there for more than just the altruistic reason of adding a log to the fire now and then. You can make a lean-to or shebang, but it's more work taking it down in the morning. Besides, if the officer in charge doesn't order it, then canvas shouldn't be sprouting.

Fire - Spoking works well. Use your judgement as to whether you want toasty feet or toasty skull. Documentation has the boys of ’61-’65 pointing feet in or feet out, and don’t let anyone tell you differently. If you are my age, you'll get up once in the night anyway, so don't forget to toss a log on the fire. A good trick is to keep 3-4 pieces of firewood by your side to toss on the fire so you don’t have to go tripping over to the squaw wood pile in the middle of the night.

Wood - Put denser wood such as cherry, beech, or persimmon on the fire before retiring. The fire should still be warm in the morning. Pine burns fast, and you’ll be up in a few minutes looking to put some more wood. Wet wood warmed near the fire can be both a reflector and a way to dry it.

Musket - Put it in the fold of your blanket. This discourages thieves, and keeps your piece nice and warm. Stacking is good at events with some form of security, but if it is only you and the messmates, think about securing the musket next to you, and putting other pilferable items close at hand.

Great Coat - If you happen to have one, you almost have a sleeping bag. Use it as a second blanket, and with the cape flipped up it covers the head nicely.

Optional Sweet or Irish Potato - Stick a sweet potato about 4" under the coals, so your breakfast is cooked and ready to eat when you open your peepers at the first tap of the drum. Laugh now, eat hearty later.

There is a huge difference between sharing the discomfort of the elements and being miserable. A little chill or breeze up the blanket opening should be expected. Use common sense, and if you are having problems let someone know, or, better yet, spoon with them to share some blankets and body heat.

Comment

I don't understand the resentment of the 'peculiar institution' of spooning by many of my fellow reenactors. I'm a young ignorent punk that dosen't like new things, is scared by things he dosen't understand, and is self-conscious, but I've gotten over myself and come to understand that spooning was part of the soliders life, and if we are trying to expirence thier lives, we should do everything they did.

What are you afraid off? That you won't be good at it? That someone's going to sneak up and take a daguerreotype of you curled up next to the corporal? Leave your modern day fears in the parking lot, and get it the 1860's midset. You have to realize the spooning is both effective and an authentic representation of the soliders lives. Hopefully you won't be the only one in your unit that thinks so, otherwise, you'll be spooning with a rock, and I've done that. It hurts :tounge_sm

PS- Keeping along these lines, if anyone can PM with thier expierience with one of Mr. Daley's overcoats it'd be much appriciated.
                    Last edited by PrettyBoyDonovan; 06-26-2004, 12:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
                    Andrew Donovan
                    Livonia, MI
                    5th Texas Co. E
                    Medich Battalion
                    Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

In the summer, a good blanket, a good night cap "I have a heavy cotton one and it works very well" a clean shirt, and a gum blanket under me with some stuff. "I.E. Straw, pine needles, and just anything soft." Also with the fall and winter just add tent and greatcoat.

Comment

Instead of competing w/ others to lay by the fire, take a good sized stone (about the size of a loaf of bread) and get it warm enough by the fire so that it's barely holdable.When you're ready for bed, place the stone inside your blankets so that your feet are touching the hot stone.I,ve used this method along with a ground sheet, blanket and rubber poncho and have managed to sleep in 17 degree conditions (also cover yer head as well....) :)
                        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Yeah I'm definitely sticking with the quilt. It looks damn good as all the visible seams are handstitched and it has been my warmest article. Anyway, I have another question. How common would it be for an AOT Confederate to have a gum blanket or poncho. I have one, but have been reluctant to carry it because I'm not sure of its use in the Confederate Army.

Pvt.Chris Anderson
                          5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch
                            ... take a good sized stone (about the size of a loaf of bread) and get it warm enough by the fire so that it's barely holdable.When you're ready for bed, place the stone inside your blankets so that your feet are touching the hot stone.
                            This was, in fact, done during the period when unheated or barely-heated rooms were the norm. Have read accounts of this often in 18th and 19th Century novels.
                            Bill Cross
                            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

One other thing.... The size of the stone is important, as a too small one will cool off before you have to get up.. and one thats too big is just... well, too d**** big :wink_smil
                              Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                              Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                              Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                              Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                              Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Does anyone know how often ponchos and gum blankets were used by Confederate soldiers in the AOT? Many of you have mentioned using them while sleeping but I have been reluctant to do so in the past because I don't know of Confederate use of them. Information would be much obliged. Thanks.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
                                5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

Working...
                                X