Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military Vest

Originally posted by FC Barlow
    The only point I was trying to make was that most Federal reenactors that wear vests, wear military-style vests.

Recoveries of small cuff or vest size eagle buttons in Federal camps indicate that these buttons were present on clothing in great numbers. Sometimes more small buttons are found in an area than standard sack coat eagle buttons. You have to ask where did this quantity of small buttons come from. They didn't come from sack coats or all from officers frocks or kepi straps. The logical answer is that they came from military style vests. Some buttons are top qualitity many with branch of service letters in the shield.

On the other hand, Confederate camps usually yield small flower or ball buttons which IMO came from vests or shirts. Glass buttons could have also been used but are difficult to recover since they are non metallic. As vests were somewhat unavilable for purchase by the Confederate enlisted soldier from sutlers or tailors, their vests would have likely been made in the homeland from established civilian patterns. This would help to explain the quantities of civilian buttons found in their camps.

Vests were a welcome additiion of clothing in cold weather for both armys which would help explain why so many small buttons are found in winter camps. Period photographs also support the wearing of military style vests for the Union soldier. I think a civilian vest on a Fed would be the exception and not the rule.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

This topic is very intriguing to me. My unit usually portrays AoT or Trans-Miss. , so my question is would there be a particular pattern or color(s) one would find out west as opposed to back east? (I'm looking at civilian vests, here)
      Also, can anyone direct me, and others now reading these posts, where a quality/authentic vest or pattern could be purchased?

- Jay Reid
      9th Texas
      Jay Reid

Comment

Greetings,

Some of you might be interested in this image:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I submit this image for your perusal in proxy for Mr. Robert Johnson:

Although small, 4 vests can easily be discerned from this view.
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Greetings,

Here'a a nice image attributed to the 12th New Hampshire. Notice the vest is considerably lighter than the man's frock coat. It was likely light blue or perhaps a "buff" color.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Greetings,

Here's another Federal (NOT Secesh) wearing a light-colored vest.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by Thehos Gendar
                I submit this image for your perusal in proxy for Mr. Robert Johnson:

Although small, 4 vests can easily be discerned from this view.

Thanks Jason.

Under magnifcation there are several vests in this image.

Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                X