Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What exactly is a "comfort"?

My grandmother used to call her quilts "comforters" They were HEAVY, and being made with a wool blanket sandwiched between two quilts, yarns tied and knotted to hold it all together.
    [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Re: Painted Cloth

I was wondering the same thing a few months ago and asked the same question. Below is information given on the old website. If you have any other questions about how to make one send me an email.

Size: According to the 1865 Quartermaster's Manual:

"The water proof blanket for infantry, to be 46 inches wide by 71 inches long,..."

A quick review of historical documents and museum specimens shows variations of several inches (these can be tricky, as some of those based upon the USS MAPLE LEAF specimens have damaged or deteriorated edges), such as:

57.0 X 32.0
      70.0 X 47.0
      69.50 X 32.75
      62.0 X 44.0
      65.04 X 42.0
      68.5 X 42.25
      72.0 X 42.25
      72.0 X 44.25

Spacing of Grommets: The Quartermaster Manual states:

"...grommets, in all cases, to be 1 inch from the centre of the grommets to the edge of the blanket on one side and end, and 2 inches from the other side and end. The grommets must be stayed, and be placed equi-distant, so as to match, and be made of brass."

Number and spacing between grommets on originals varies slightly, generally from 13-14 inches (14 inches being mentioned for ponchos).

Two blankets recovered from the MAPLE LEAF had 18 each, 6 along one edge, 8 along the other edge, and 2 on each end.

A Minnesota Historical Society poncho has 16 at equal distance around the perimeter as per the QM specs. However, they are spaced on the average 13.25 inches along the sides and 15 inches along the edges- in "violation" of the specs' max of 14 inches.

"Contrary" to the specs, some of the MAPLE LEAF blankets have two pairs of spaced grommets on one side. Some believe this was a variation or idea that allowed for the blanket to be worn as a poncho, as the paired grommets are called for the 1889 QM Manual to allow it to be worn as a cape.
      Ryan Stull
      37th NC Co B
      stull6@charter.net

Comment

Ryan,

I was curious as to what type of grommets to use, and also what type of canvas/ducking would be appropriate?

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

Originally posted by privstull
        I was wondering the same thing a few months ago and asked the same question. Below is information given on the old website. If you have any other questions about how to make one send me an email.

Size: According to the 1865 Quartermaster's Manual:

"The water proof blanket for infantry, to be 46 inches wide by 71 inches long,..."

A quick review of historical documents and museum specimens shows variations of several inches (these can be tricky, as some of those based upon the USS MAPLE LEAF specimens have damaged or deteriorated edges), such as:

57.0 X 32.0
        70.0 X 47.0
        69.50 X 32.75
        62.0 X 44.0
        65.04 X 42.0
        68.5 X 42.25
        72.0 X 42.25
        72.0 X 44.25

Spacing of Grommets: The Quartermaster Manual states:

"...grommets, in all cases, to be 1 inch from the centre of the grommets to the edge of the blanket on one side and end, and 2 inches from the other side and end. The grommets must be stayed, and be placed equi-distant, so as to match, and be made of brass."

Number and spacing between grommets on originals varies slightly, generally from 13-14 inches (14 inches being mentioned for ponchos).

Two blankets recovered from the MAPLE LEAF had 18 each, 6 along one edge, 8 along the other edge, and 2 on each end.

A Minnesota Historical Society poncho has 16 at equal distance around the perimeter as per the QM specs. However, they are spaced on the average 13.25 inches along the sides and 15 inches along the edges- in "violation" of the specs' max of 14 inches.

"Contrary" to the specs, some of the MAPLE LEAF blankets have two pairs of spaced grommets on one side. Some believe this was a variation or idea that allowed for the blanket to be worn as a poncho, as the paired grommets are called for the 1889 QM Manual to allow it to be worn as a cape.
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul,

Though you could use Walmart of Home Depot type of Canvas, I would recommend using the canvas offered at Skillet Licker. Their medium weight canvas would be the best type to use. Also, Skillet Licker grommets would be the correct ones to go with. I got mine from there and they are exelent. They look just like the ones in Echos of Glory. If you have any other questions of how to paint it or anything else, let me know. Hope this helps.
          Ryan Stull
          37th NC Co B
          stull6@charter.net

Comment

Ryan,

Do you have pictures? And seeing as this will be my first time trying this any directions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

Paul,

Though you could use Walmart of Home Depot type of Canvas, I would recommend using the canvas offered at Skillet Licker. Their medium weight canvas would be the best type to use. Also, Skillet Licker grommets would be the correct ones to go with. I got mine from there and they are exelent. They look just like the ones in Echos of Glory. If you have any other questions of how to paint it or anything else, let me know. Hope this helps.
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I have an original ground cloth. It is good quality, heavy, tightly woven unbleached linen. The finish is dry and flakey but still quite stout in some areas. The textile and the finish are similar to the type used in NC cartridge box slings.

It has hand-whipped eyelets in each corner. The cloth is 70 inches long and 39 1/2 inches wide. Two 20' wide (selvedge edge to selvedge edge) runs are used.

There is a flat (unfolded) 1/2 inch seam down the center with two rows of tight hand top stitching. The sides are unhemmed selvedge edge. The top and bottom edge are double felled and tacked with a tight blind stitch similar to a miliner's stitch.

The eyelets are reinforced with a linen that seems to be the same as the body with folded, whipped edges.

Enscribed in one corner ''N B Parker''
              It has a strong 27 NCT provenance.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The groundcloth should look similar to the one just described. I apologize that I do not have any pictures. I copied mine to an extent like the one of echos of glory at first, and then, after seeing a real one from a private collection I made it from that.

The measurements of mine are alittle less than 46X71, though any slight change in measurements would still be period. One of the things that puzzled me was the placement of the grommets. I first hemmed all of the edges like the original, first folding the painted side about an inch on the unpainted side and the folding alittle bit more under that fold to prevent unwraveling that might occur and then sewed it all the way around the outside edges. Then I put the grommets on. There should be one grommet on each corner after you hem it, then depending on how many grommets you have, you can add on as many as you'd like up to about 14 making 18 total. Though the Quartermaster manual says to have around 18, many of the originals have around 14 to 16. However, like I said, you could do some research or do it by how the Quatermaster manual states. Lastly, the texture of the groundcloth can varry. Some people might use more linseed oil or less lamp black so to get the right texture you have to experiment. I tried to make mine look as close to the one on Echos of Glory as I could and was not that far off. When I was making mine for the first time I too looked for pictures of reproductions but found close to none. Th only one that I found that shows a brief image was at
                HTML Code:
                [url]www.gvtc.com/~sjlrbal/oilcloths.htm[/url]
                or the homefront. Hope some of this information can atleast put a small image in your head of what it looks like.
                Ryan Stull
                37th NC Co B
                stull6@charter.net

Comment

I've always found the correct 1/4" sized grommets at about any sewing shop. they are labeled as large eyelets, and pretty cheap.

Comment

Ryan,

OK....quick question, where do I get Lamp Black? Is is the same a Japanned Dryer and if so where do I get that? Getting Linseed Oil, should I go ahead and buy the Boiled Linseed Oil? Or buy Linseed Oil Myself? And then with the Mineral Spirits/Turpentine how does that mix into the solution?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04

The groundcloth should look similar to the one just described. I apologize that I do not have any pictures. I copied mine to an extent like the one of echos of glory at first, and then, after seeing a real one from a private collection I made it from that.

The measurements of mine are alittle less than 46X71, though any slight change in measurements would still be period. One of the things that puzzled me was the placement of the grommets. I first hemmed all of the edges like the original, first folding the painted side about an inch on the unpainted side and the folding alittle bit more under that fold to prevent unwraveling that might occur and then sewed it all the way around the outside edges. Then I put the grommets on. There should be one grommet on each corner after you hem it, then depending on how many grommets you have, you can add on as many as you'd like up to about 14 making 18 total. Though the Quartermaster manual says to have around 18, many of the originals have around 14 to 16. However, like I said, you could do some research or do it by how the Quatermaster manual states. Lastly, the texture of the groundcloth can varry. Some people might use more linseed oil or less lamp black so to get the right texture you have to experiment. I tried to make mine look as close to the one on Echos of Glory as I could and was not that far off. When I was making mine for the first time I too looked for pictures of reproductions but found close to none. Th only one that I found that shows a brief image was at
                    HTML Code:
                    [url]www.gvtc.com/~sjlrbal/oilcloths.htm[/url]
                    or the homefront. Hope some of this information can atleast put a small image in your head of what it looks like.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
                      Ryan,

OK....quick question, where do I get Lamp Black? Is is the same a Japanned Dryer and if so where do I get that? Getting Linseed Oil, should I go ahead and buy the Boiled Linseed Oil? Or buy Linseed Oil Myself? And then with the Mineral Spirits/Turpentine how does that mix into the solution?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      Lamp Black is nothing more than the black carbon emitted by an oil burning lamp. You can either capture your own by using a funnel (I'm not kidding) or purchase "pigment powder" which is carbon, from an online source such as www.realmilkpaint.com

You can buy Japan Dryer from any (artistic) painters supply store, art store. This is used to shorten the drying of the oil based paint. Too much dryer will ruin your paint though, and could actually extend drying time.

I have used boiled linseed oil, which is what as I understand one of the original formula's used. You can buy it from your local hardware. California says it may cause birth defects, don't drink it.

It should however be noted that artistic oil paints used in painting normal canvases etc, especially the color "Lamp Black" is made with pure Linseed oil, and Pure Carbon, and is the same as what you are going to be making, except in a paste form. It would be the more expensive route, but you could buy the artistic oils and thin it with linseed oil for use on painted cloth.

Also you should notice that the paint on originals, depending on the material used, bled through the aticle very little. In other words, the paint stayed on the painted side, mostly.

Anyway, all of this was passed on to me by a very well studied friend, and has worked with marvelous results. Good luck.
                      ~ Chris Hubbard
                      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

The lamp black was really the only hard thing for me to get my hands on. I have heard you can get it at an arts and crafts store in a tube, but I got mine at Home Depot. First time I went there, they could not give it to me because they only use it for mixing other paints. The second time though I put up an argument so they sold me a small can. It is known as Black Oil Pigment mostly, but on my can it says lamp black. I used the period recipe from the website you posted on the top, and followed the directions. I bought Boiled Linseed Oil, Japan Dryer, and Mineral Spirits. All of these should be able to find at Lowe's or Home Depot. From there on I to an extent followed the recipe and experimented on a scrap piece of canvas. This was awhile back so im not entirely sure what I did differently, but one of things was that I added in more Boiled Linseed Oil than said on the recipe that. On the period recipe it also says a way to make a fluid made from cornstarch, boiled water, and cold water. I would highly recommened doing that first and do it as it says to help prevent leak through the canvas, because lamp black is alot stronger than black latex paint.

I have not tried this way, but I have heard that you get a really good turnout if you mix only lamp black and boiled linseed oil. Your supposed to put mostly linseed oil and then add in lamp black until it becomes a solid black color. Then paint on a light shade of that color and after it drys add on repeated coats to make it shiny. Like I said, I have not tried this but have heard that it comes out with exelent results. But if you want to try out the first way mentioned, then just follow the directions given in the period recipe and if you do not like your results then you can experiement with the ingredients. Hope this helps.
                        Ryan Stull
                        37th NC Co B
                        stull6@charter.net

Comment

FOLLOW-UP TO MY EARLIER POST...

An old hardware store here in Wilmington has plenty of lampblack. It comes in a yellow tube but I can't recall the name. I'll get the brand and post it asap.
                          They will mail it if anyone is interested...
                          My dad and some guys in the old 38th NC (the original jean-cloth guys;Bass, Bull, Tart, Wiles, Beall etc) copied the one we have back in the '80s. They heated unbleached linseed oil and mixed the lampblack in and then brushed it on. A second coat was applied with damar (sic?) varnish powder added to stiffen the mix. It perfectly replicated the old one.
                          It was not a smooth, easy application and the oil really bled through creating a mottled brown and black reverse.
                          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Mr. Beall-- I sent you a message; please let me know if you received it.

Thanks.
                            [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

India Rubber Pouch

In the following letter, this gentleman states that he had an India Rubber Pouch, instead of a knapsack. Anyone know what he is refering too? Also, if you can help me as to what he is talking about, do you have any idea where I could observe one of these itmes, if there are any still around.

Washington, D. C., April 28, 1861.

Dear Sir:
                              You have probably seen in the papers, that Gov. Sprague offered his services with one thousand men, for the defence of the capitol, and your humble servant is consequently in Washington, having enlisted in the First LIght Infantry. We left Providence one week ago yesterday, arriving in New York, Sunday morning. In the afternoon we went on board the steamer "Costzacoalcos," and started for Washington, in company with the steamer Baltic, with the Massachusetts Fifth Regiment, and the R. R. Cuyler, with the Seventy-First of New York, and the Columbia with the Massachusetts Sixth or Eighth under convoy of the Harriet Lane, arriving at Annapolis on Wednesday, and quartering at the Naval School, that night. In the morning, we started to march for Washington, forty-four miles, the railroad having suffered serious injuries from the secessionists. We marched nineteen miles the first day, and bivouacked for the night. It was a splendid sight, our camp fires throwing their lurid flames heavenward, and our red blankets making a very picturesque scene. Scouting parties were out all night, as it was rumored we should be attacked, and perhaps should have been, had it not been for the larger number in the vicinity, there being 10,000 at Annapolis, when we left. Every man laid down on the grass, with his cartridge-box on, and his loaded musket by his side. The next morning, we parted at half-past four, without breakfast, and walked five miles to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, the having been repaired to this junction-thanks to the Massachusetts Regiment, who really deserve a great deal of credit. They have worked like tigers.

Our uniform is a blue flannel shirt or blouse, grey pants, felt hat, with one side turned up, and a brass eagle stuck in the side, red flannel blankets, and India-rubber pouches, instead of knap-sacks. When we started from Annapolis, each man carried three day's provisions, a canteen holding a quart of water, twenty rounds of cartridges, musket, &c., in all, about forty-pounds, and it was the hardest road to travel I ever saw, the sand being about six inches deep, most of the way. My feet were both blistered, and both shoulders black and blue, but we are now fast recovering from the fatigue of our journey, being quartered at the Patent Office, taking our meals at the United Sates Hotel. We breakfast at six, lunch in quarters at twelve, and dine at the hotel, at 5 P. M. There is no regiment here so well provided for, or so well cared for by its officers, who, by the way, are all Democrats, and all went through the Mexican War, two of whom, Col. Burnside and Major Solcum, are graduates of West Point. They do everything for the men, even to waiting upon the tables. Everything is furnished free of expense, even to stationary, pipes, tobacco, and our boots blackened! We have not been detailed for any special service, we expect to be as soon as we have ? recovered from our journey.

I am writing this on a stood, and if you want to read it to anybody, you had better copy it, that is, if you can read it yourself.

Ever your friend.

A. B.

Comment

Re: India Rubber Pouch

Comrade,
                                My first inclination, upon reading the description in context of the letter, is that he has simply misunderstood the word "poncho". I may certainly be mistaken in my assumption, but nonetheless feel it to be a plausible interpretation of his statement. Couple that with most images of the Rhode Islanders having blanket rolls, and I suspect that this might be the case.
                                respects,
                                Tim Kindred
                                Medical Mess
                                Solar Star Lodge #14
                                Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                                X