Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Richmond Depot Ground Sheets

Having made a few oil clothes I can say that there will be a measurable amount of bleed through.
    Respectfully Yours,
    James Gould
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jdgiv View Post
      Having made a few oil clothes I can say that there will be a measurable amount of bleed through.
      Respectfully Yours,
      James Gould
      Bleed through is still based on how much oil you use and the amount of sizing. Having made about 500 Federal/Confederate painted oil cloths you learn by experience. Yet, I still sometimes use too much corn starch for sizing or too much linseed oil.

Best Regards,

Claude Sinclair
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

This always perplexes me, whats the big deal about bleed through? I've seen Ray Bass make four dozen at a time; each with a varying degree of bleeding.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Of course I'd still love to see some documentation behind the whole corn-starch sizing thing...
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

When I say that mine don't bleed thought I am meaning that the mixture does not saturate the untreated side. The mixture does go into the cloth and some does seep through to the unfinished side so it does have spots in it. I have found that if the material is not sized that it can add very much weight to the oil blanket because the all of the cloth becomes saturated. A 2002 issue of "The Watch Dog" had a copy of the Federal Quartermaster's specifications on an order of painted oil cloths. The measurements were to be 71" x 46" with 18 grommets. The spacing of Grommets were to be 1" from the edge of one end and one side and 2" on the other end and side. Two grommets were to be placed right on the edge so that a 1" tape could go through to make a shawl or cape. There's a picture in EOC of an oilblanket with those specifications with a person using as a shawl. I need to go back to the book, "The Federal Shelter Half" or something along those lines and find the reference regarding a suggestion of sizing or treating shelter halves.

I have found nothing regarding Confederate specifications on painted oil cloths. They had them because they had a recipe for making them. One person ordered a few from me saying that he had documentation that twine was used to go through the handsewn grommets to make a shawl for protection of the rain. Using one daily on the ground would quickly wear a painted oil blanket out.

Regards,
            Claude Sinclair
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

I have researched sizing with cornstarch and the only reference I found is at:

It appears that cornstarch was not listed in the original recipe and that the author added it below the recipe as a suggestion. Does anyone have a copy of the Confederate Ord. book that list the recipe? However, I don't doubt that sizing was not used. I made two painted oilcloths this weekend with one using cornstarch to size and one without any sizing. I used 8 oz cotton duck. It took me a half of a gallon of paint (lampblack and linseed oil) to cover the unsized cloth. It took less that a quart to finish the sized cloth. The unsized cloth was totally saturated and heavy. The sized cloth was about half the weight. There was some bleeding on the sized cloth but nothing like the bleeding on the unsized cloth. There's an example of a painted oilcloth in Echo's of Glory showing both sides of a Federal Painted Oil Cloth. Notice the lack of bleeding on the unpainted side? Actually I didn't notice any bleeding but I did notice the placement of one of the edged grommets to make a shawl or cape out of it. It appears that the example in EOC was size because of the lack of bleeding.

I held the example that I did not size to the sun you could see the light of the sun. I held up the example that I sized and you could not any sun. I then ran the hose over one that I use myself and it was totally waterproof and it is over a year old. I used the search function and some writers stated that the painted oilcloths were not supposed to be waterproof. I disagree with that assumption.

I held the example that I did not size to the sun you could see the light of the sun. I held up the example that I sized and you could not any sun. I then ran the hose over one that I use myself and it was totally waterproof and it is over a year old. I used the search function and some writers stated that the painted oil cloths were not suppose to be waterproof. I disagree with that assumption. I feel that painted oil cloths varied somewhat from one maker to another. Just like the depot clothing system. I still have not found anything regarding Confederate painted oil blankets.

Regards,

Claude Sinclair
              Claude Sinclair
              Palmetto Battalion

Comment

• Blanket Woes

The following are from the Rome(GA) Tri Weekly Courier.

November 7th, 1863
                "Annual Report of the Quartermaster General of Georgia...we are sorry to learn from the report that Gen. Foster was not able to purchase a single blanket-blankets cannot be bought in Georgia, nor in the South..."

November 21st, 1863
                "Another Appeal to the Women of Georgia...Under such circumstances in this dark hour of trial ought there to be a blanket in the house of any citizen of the Empire State? Ought not the churches, the parlors, and the bed rooms to be stript of every carpet, if necessary and hurried to the army...I believe there are carpets enough in Georgia to supply the Confederate army with blankets...then have them cut, lined with cotton cloth, and hemmed."

November 24th, 1863
                "Blankets for the Army...carpets lined with osbaburg and hemmed are even prefered by soldiers to blankets, lining will be furnished by the Quartermaster on application."

December 24th, 1863
                "Blankets for soldiers...has determined to try and supply this want in some extent by the manufacture of what are called comforts or comforters. These can be made out of our thinnest Factory cloth, padded with bits of carded cotton and quilled. The cloth should be as light as possible and the padding not too thick-otherwise the article will be too heavy for transportation...we have already sought and found the assistance of the ladies of Augusta and its vicinity...The Augusta Factory, in a spirit of most liberal patriotism, have offered to furnish us with the material upon very just terms...other factories in our state will do the same...The cloth used by us here is thinner then shirting-shirting will do about 7 1/2 to 8 feet long, by 6 feet wide, it would be better if dyed some color, but we have no time to wait for this to be done..."

Enjoy.
                Lee
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Re: Blanket Woes

Those 20th TN QM returns for late December show some blankets coming in. Wonder if they were the fruits of this effort.
                  Daryl Black

Comment

• Re: Blanket Woes

A while back, Eric Burke asked a good question about "comforts," and that thread is now merged with this one. Some of the newspaper quotes dovetail well with the ones Lee recently posted, too.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

• Trekking Tarps

Recently, I've found an article about a 18th century tarp. Has anyone run across this before and would this be correct to use for the period of time we portray? The web page is, http://reenacting.net/mystuff/trektarp.html . Thanks in advance.

Corp. Kevin Alexander

Comment

• Re: Trekking Tarps

I've not seen anything like this in my readings, especially out of something as light as cotton. The closest thing I can imagine is a plain, linseed-oilcloth, or a piece of canvas. I have a handmade oilcloth, made a little bit longer. It's got 4 handsewn grommets, and rather then trying to set it up all nifty like the "trektarp" you mentioned, I just set it up as a lean-to if rain beckons. You can generally tell which direction the wind is going to be blowing. Jason Rich makes nice ones. www.homespunwares.com
                        Kind Regards,
                        Andrew Jerram

Comment

• Re: Trekking Tarps

On the "Traditional Muzzleloader Forum" this is called a Diamond tent . They have a whole thread on tentage from rev war to civ war. This is a very good forum if your interested in BP weapons and all time frames -very laid back and the guys help you out alot. Joining is easy and there is over 10k of members to the forums.
                          Cris L. Westphal
                          1st. Mich. Vol.
                          2nd. Kentucky (Morgans Raiders)
                          A young man should possess all his faculties before age,liquor, and stupidity erase them--Major Thaddeus Caractus Evillard Bird(Falconer Legion CSA)

Comment

• Re: Knapsacks & Blanket Rolls Redeux

Hi.
                            I have found the short roll to be more comfortable than the blanket roll. However, thats just me. I also use a knapsack from time to time.

Bill Feuchtenberger
                            1st South Carolina Volunteers

Comment

For long distance marching, one can hardly beat blanket roll (just the blanket) with everyting else in the knapsack. See photo. A short roll works as well but sways a bit on its sling if not tight enough. When portraying an officer I usually use a short roll.
                              Last edited by DougCooper; 03-23-2008, 02:28 PM.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Major Grisamore of the 18th Louisiana Infantry, Gray's Brigade, Mouton's Division makes reference to the men putting their knapsacks on the wagons for their retreat from Natchitoches to Pleasant Hill in early April 1864. He also mentions how happy the men were to be reunited with their knapsacks because often when they did such they might not ever get their knapsacks back. For Journey Into the Piney Woods the wagons will be reserved for provisions and ammunition, so tote 'em if you got 'em.;)
                                Tom Yearby
                                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
                                X