Black Confederate Issue Trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Confederate Issue Trousers

While perusing through Don Troiani's Civil War Infantry something caught my eye. In the article on the 27th Virginia it is mentioned how black trousers of cassimere were issued to Confederates throughout the war. (Specifically to the 27 VA in Oct '62) The only sources mentioned in the back of the book, pertaining to this, are the Confederated Service Records in the National Archives. Does anyone know of any other references to such trousers, whether first or second hand? I personally don't recall Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown mentioning anything of the like.

Anything to shed some light on this would be appreciated.
    Stephen Feryus

Re: Black Confederate Issue Trousers

Hi there,

Look up Terry Handy of the 1st Texas in California (Google search) - they have a Web site and I believe his contact information is there. He has a pair of black trousers for one of his impressions. I am not sure what he knows about their provenance, but he may be able to help.

Bill Treadway may be another source as he knows Terry. Bill posts here as 1st Texas.

Good luck.

Jonathan Vaughan
    Jonathan Vaughan
    14th Tennessee
    3rd Missouri

Comment

Terry wears his black trowsers as part of the "Great Appeal" impression that he does. Actually though they are not black but a very deep gray. Thanks.
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Jonathan,

Just to touch on what Tom's already mentioned...... the cloth is actually jean cloth with a dark/deep logwood dyed. I believe the cloth came from an old batch of FHW stuff. I agree, it does resemble the color black (for now!). Perhaps this was also the case with the 27th Virginia as mentioned in the original post.
        Last edited by western reb; 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM.
        [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

Hallo!

Just an aside... Logwood mordanted with iron produces black.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

If you can find some of Charlie Child's logwood in the last batch, it is black jean. It will fade, but is quite dark new.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
            X