"How to Camp Out" by John Mead Gould

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "How to Camp Out" by John Mead Gould

For those who want it as a book, yes, I can do it for $13, including s-l-o-w shipping, and still donate $4 for each book right from the start to battlefield or historic preservation. That will go up to at least $7 after I recoup the start-up and stocking expenses (about $300 as it now stands, for the first 50 books).

I'm targeting Shenandoah Valley battlefields with most of the money from what will shortly be a booklist of three titles, but when the books are sold at registration for events, I'll donate the profit to whatever the event organizers say is the event's targeted cause. Two weeks ago the local living history farm got $130 for books sold while some of us were there, so while it's not a lot of money, it's better than stepping on a nail.

When "How to Camp Out" is on hand -- I'm still in the process of proofs and whatnot with the printing company -- I'll post a web link for Broken Lance Enterprises.

If anyone has any other titles they'd like to see in an affordable reprint for our little community, please let me know. If it's in the public domain like this one is, and available as capturable text and images online like this one was, it's about a solid day's work and $300 for the first 50 copies of a 150-page book. The cost to me will go down for subsequent orders of 50 copies.

If anyone is wondering: Broken Lance Enterprises is a "background business" I've set up at home on a long, slow learning curve against the day fortune frowns on me one way or another and I need a non-newspaper income to survive. In the meantime it generates both experience and modest amounts of donations for history.

Enjoy.
    Bill Watson
    Stroudsburg

Comment

Bill,

What's the chances of getting a more period cover illustration than the current one? By that, I mean, appropriate to the year the book was first published.

Respects,
      Tim Kindred
      Medical Mess
      Solar Star Lodge #14
      Bath, Maine

Comment

Yes, but it's still an illusion unless someone wants to send me a real pen and ink sketch I can include on the cover....

www.brokenlanceenterprises.com, scroll down the home page a little, on the left.

The original was described as pale green (and clothbound, which this is not).

Some will recognize the LOC photo, rendered as pen and ink.

So it's a cross between the original and the first reproduction long ago, which was red, but which had a sketch of a camp on the cover. That's from this:

Bill Watson
        Stroudsburg

Comment

OK: I got busy during my August vacation and now have it in stock, a reprint. $12, includes shipping and handling, and all the profits go to historic preservation (about $8 a book or so, assuming my time is worth nothing.) It is still available online free; some folks wanted a print version so here you go. Glossy paperback, 144 pages, the original page count and indexing are preserved.

Footnote: All the proceeds from Civil War-related books on the website go to historic preservation.

Footnote: Broken Lance Enterprises is a hobby business that will become a full-time for-profit venture if and when I ever lose my day job. Not too likely these days, but Be Prepared is a good motto for Scouts and journalists these days.
          Bill Watson
          Stroudsburg

Comment

Great Book, found it some time ago.
            I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
            Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
            Hard Head Mess
            Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I was recommended this book as well as Gould's journal by a good friend and found it to be a endless source of info. So many gems, like how to line your blanket for extra warmth.

Great book!!

Greg Henderson
              5th New Hampshire

Comment

Working...
              X