X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slightly Deformed Slouch Hats

Hallo!

"I bought an M1883 campaign hat for Span-Am back in 1997,"

I got mine from Frank Burgess in 1976... I still wear it in the Modern World. Although the front of the sweat band too a hit from salt and age and turned brittle and fell apart.

The plug hat I wear in my avatar is a Dirty Billy made one from 1986.

Mellow.....

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I own two slouch hats, one Clearwater hat and a Dirty Billy hat. The apearence of both changed significantly after a couple of rain storms. I noticed that the brim of the Dirty Billy hat tends to curl upward after a while. I've actually seen numerous historical photos of various hats with the brim curled up. I'm not sure if this was fashionable at the time, if this occurred from exposure to the elements or both. The hat ribbon on the Clearwater shows a lot of wear and the hat shrank quite a bit. The rim on the Clearwater hat did not curl upward like Dirty Billy's. The only modification I make to my hats is to use a hat block after they get wet so they will still fit. I learned my lesson after an event when I was unable to wear my slouch.

John Winkler
      Co K, 6th TX

Comment

Not to hike a thread, but I think the larger issue here is the appearance of a soldier on campaign. Too often I see guys in impeccable kits for the period to be portrayed but those kits are just too clean. I also do not feel like we need to roll around in mud and earn wear dishonestly. I think, then, that a good kit for a wide time period allows us to wear that kit more often to different events therefore allowing more opportunity for the appearance of wear. A non-descript jacket (RD II, Columbus, sack coat, or commutation style jacket) or a good frock opens the time frame considerably.
        Andrew Quist
        Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
        www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

Hallo!

That is the Twin Horns of a Dilemma, IMHO.

The very process of evolution, upgrading, and replacing clothing and gear during the March to the Righthand Side Alphabet Letters tends to keep lads "newer" than the fewer "Old Hand" who have already been down that Path for years.
          Also true for changing "unit-specific" impresion events...

(Not that CW soldiers did not get new clothing- but as a Hobby we tend to value the "veteran, experienced campaigner look" as a litmus test or proof-positive of movement toward the Righthand Side Alphabet Letters over the brand new or Shake-and-Bake look.)

It goes perhpas without saying, that the other Horn is that without discussing the beginnng, middle, or end of a campaign of any certain length or "roughness" that any particular lad or unit chooses to portray... to look like a "campaigner," one generally has to "campaign."
          And the more of the latter, the more the former. ;)

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

One of the advantages of living in the great Republic of Texas is that the “culture of the hat” has never left, at least not here in Cowtown. Quite often I wear my slouch hat instead of my Resistol while doing the normal things that one does and it does not look out of place. Of course working around the horses and cattle does add to the “seasoned” look quickly. Nothing can replace the day to day use to break it in.

The same applies to modern hats here. Only the dress that one wears for a night out are pristine. All of the others look seasoned because they are. I think the answer is to just to wear them more.
            Barry Smithson

Comment

The solution is an extremely complex formula:

1. Attend events.

2. Wear hat.

3. Repeat 1 & 2 frequently.

By the way, Hank's hat is a thing of great utility and beauty, plus it gets good mileage.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The Clearwater Mosby in my aviator pic has seen lots of beatings, (rain, dust, mud, etc) and it just gets beaten naturally...I suppose my new Tim Bender Flat Top Crown (aka my Alamo Hat as referred to at a Living History once by a guy in my unit) will get the same way

In the end it just takes time (and this is from someone who when he first started tried to prematurely beat up his cheap Dirty Billy Hat.

Take Care...
                Robert F. Wallace
                38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                X