Canteen Stoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Stoppers

I have been trying to find out what exactly was used most of the time for keeping the stoppers connected to the canteens. I have looked through the search archives. I have found everything from leather vs cloth straps, smooth side, and bullseye,wooden,and tin. I have found both chain, and cloth keepers on some of the orginals that have been placed online. I know that the chain is the easiest to place on the canteens by some sutlers,but for the most part is not correct. If someone could send me in the right direction as where to look, I would appreciate it.
    [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Re: Canteen Stoppers

Angelfire on Lycos, established in 1995, is one of the leading personal publishing communities on the Web. Angelfire makes it easy for members to create their own blogs, web sites, get a web address (domain) and start publishing online.

Basically for M-1858 canteens if the sling keeper had a hole it had a chain. No hole, twine kept the stopper around.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

P.L.,

That info is on pages 164-165, and is also available from other reference works.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I'd say anything that a soldier could have had access to, like hemp twine, a leather thong. Those are what I use on mine. On page 208 in EOG of the Confederacy, a leather thong is used on a bullseye canteen. Of course no chain would be correct as well....Just whittle a piece of wood or corn cob and use it as a stopper.:D
        [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
        S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
        I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
        they looked so hacked, and answered back
        never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

At one time the Wooded Hamlet carried three-ply Belgian linen cording that was spot-on to the cording I have seen on originals. Far better and more authentic than a piece of jute and/or twine based on originals. This Belgian cording had some strength to it, and bore up well in field use. Alas, when the management changed they no longer carried this product, nor know of any new source. A 22 inch piece of this stuff was the berries!
          Steve Sullivan
          Last edited by rogue; 08-19-2007, 09:13 AM. Reason: flying fingers typo!

Comment

And please remember that there would have been a difference between the way it came from the company filling the contract for the US Army, what men in the field would have done to continue using it on campaign, and the way it appears today afterall these years. Issue vs field repair (and on a few post-war veteran or collector changes) is important as you put together your impression.
            Pat Brown

Comment

Go without a chain or cord. The last couple of canteens I purchased had cords on them. When the cords broke, I also replaced the corks with good seasoned cork from wine or champagne bottles. A little whittling and the replacement corks are good to go.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue View Post
                At one time the Wooded Hamlet carried three-ply Belgian linen cording that was spot-on to the cording I have seen on originals. Far better and more authentic than a piece of jute and/or twine based on originals.
                I don't know if I agree on the Belgian linen being more correct than cotton twine since cotton twine was very common, but you have hit on a problem. The stopper cord which is available and supplied on reproduction canteens in most cases does not even resemble original string. Even considering the age of original stopper string, some of the stuff being passed off as canteen string is laughable. Of course some of the original strings may have been just as poor and that is why they are not around today.

For my canteens, I look for a basic cotton string with the same twist pattern or ply as a sample of original string. I then pull it across a bees wax block while twisting the string tight. I usually keep doing this until I get the right look. It is not just one pull and twist. Usually it comes out as a pretty good copy of original string. A little soaking in tea (prior to waxing) will take the whitness off of it. The bees wax keeps it from rotting and tends to keep the twist tight. It resists breaking unless the sling keeper has a sharp edge which cuts into the string.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  That info is on pages 164-165, and is also available from other reference works.
                  P.L.,

D'oh! It would help if I mentioned the book, wouldn't it?

That would be the CRRC2 available from the Watchdog. While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it is a good place to start reading about a variety of subjects whether you do yank, reb, or civilian.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

If you use a bit of wood as a stopper, be sure to waterproof it with a good coating of wax or brewer's tar, etc. I had a wood stopper which when soaked became waterlogged and stuck in the spout. In frustration, I cut the spout off with a hatchet. Problem solved for the moment...
                    Originally posted by Rebel Yell1863 View Post
                    I'd say anything that a soldier could have had access to, like hemp twine, a leather thong. Those are what I use on mine. On page 208 in EOG of the Confederacy, a leather thong is used on a bullseye canteen. Of course no chain would be correct as well....Just whittle a piece of wood or corn cob and use it as a stopper.:D
                    Rob Weaver
                    Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                    [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Working...
                    X