Frock coat pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frock coat pattern?

I need to know where I can pick up a authentic pattern for a size 46 Federal Frock coat and where to pick up the piping for it too. I have tried county cloth, but they do not seem to have the pattern or piping. Thank you.

Re: Frock coat pattern?

I don't know where you could find a pattern, but I do know that Wooded Hamlet sells the piping. You can pick it up at their retail location at Family Heirloom Weavers in Gettysburg or go to their website www.woodedhamlet.com.
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

A frock coat pattern is a very prisitne item. Nobody that has a good one will let it out. That is why frocks are so expensive. Because those that make the good ones have done the research and refuse to let their work be sold. For some reason, frocks seem to be 'diamonds in the rough' when it comes to garments. County Cloth will not sell frock patterns. The only thing you can do is buy a kit and trace the pieces for your own pattern. I have seen frock patterns available, but the sources have not been very reliable. The previous response was good enough to mention piping. Wooded Hamlet provides some of the best. But again with the pattern, I don't believe that one will present itself to you. It is unfortunate. The best I can do is say good luck.

Comment

Making a frock is not for the weak of heart. Fed frocks cost a alot because they are very difficult to make and the correct materials are also very expensive. Good luck finding alpaca to line it with.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I know this should probably be in the vendor section but who else makes good federal frock coats besides the obvious Chris Daley and Nick ************. Is there anyone?

Thanks.
          Dane Utter
          Washington Guard

Comment

I have a nice one by Pat Brown.
            Brian Koenig
            SGLHA
            Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Brian,

Thanks. But I guess I don't need one anymore (atleast right now), since Reams Station is now cancelled. :(
              Dane Utter
              Washington Guard

Comment

County Cloth doesn't sell a frock coat pattern because Mr. Childs doesn't really use one. He drafts each kit on the cloth based on the customer's measurements. If you look on the wrong side of the cloth on some of his kits, you'll see where he's adjusted a curve or added to a line. That's just a hint of the custom work that goes into a frock coat kit. He is really a master of the art.

As for patterns, Homespun makes a pattern, but I confess I have no first-hand knowledge of how good or poor it is. Their single-breasted CS frock coat requires considerable experience and a knack for alteration to make correctly, but it's not an insurmountable task. In their favor, their frock patterns do adhere closely to their published chest and waist dimensions, which many patterns do not.

If you really want to make one, by all means, go for it, and ask questions here as you go. Research the garment as much as you can, and definitely make a fitting muslin first (directions for doing so are in the pattern), and do a first run on cheap cloth before you try to make the real thing. I'm of the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" school of sewing. You'll learn from the fitting muslin what doesn't fit and how to correct it. You'll learn from the cheap practice garment what problems you may have during the assembly. If you're not comfortable after doing your practice garment, do another practice run.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
                Michael McComas
                drudge-errant

Comment

Frock coats are indeed a bit tricky to properly make up. The correct material is somewhat expensive, the trims need to be dyed using indigo, interior chest area is padded and quilted to hold it in place. You must be skilled with handworked buttonholes to properly complete the coat.

Only a few existing Enlisted Uniform Coats are left in public and private collections making it difficult to copy them.

GOOD LUCK
                  [FONT=Arial Black]Mark Mason[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Tarwater Mess[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Arial Narrow][I]G.H. Thomas Invincibles[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by NY Pvt
                    Brian,

Thanks. But I guess I don't need one anymore (atleast right now), since Reams Station is now cancelled. :(
                    Where did you hear that as I can not find anything to support this claim.
                    Thanks,
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Matt Caldwell

GHTI

WIG[/FONT]

Comment

Re: Reams Station cancelled?

What gives?
                      Scott Gulley
                      PPM/GHTI/WIG

Comment

Matt and Scott,

I read it on the CWreenactors forum in the General Discussion. Here is what it said:

The below is an official announcement from the Reams 2004 Planning Committe.
                        To all my fellow Campaigners & Preservationists,

I am unfortunately using this letter to announce the postponement of the 2004 Reams Station Preservation March, which was schedule for October 21-23, 2004. This event, which was shaping up to be a grand effort, has unfortunately been stalled by many circumstances beyond the control of the planning committee. I would like to take time to think the time and effort put into this event by those on the committee and the military staffs. Hopefully, this event will be rescheduled at a future date, but at this time no date is forthcoming. So, thank you again and here is to a great year in 2004.

Respectfully,

Reams Station Planning Committee for the
                        Petersburg City Guard

posted by Brian McPeters, formerly Reams Event Coordinator
                        Dane Utter
                        Washington Guard

Comment

Originally posted by NY Pvt
                          I know this should probably be in the vendor section but who else makes good federal frock coats besides the obvious Chris Daley and Nick ************. Is there anyone?

Thanks.
                          I've made three, sold two & wear one myself. Both recipients were satisfied with 'em. The Homespun Pattern is a good place to start but I've found some modification necessary. The tricky part is getting a good fit. Lotsa work in these, which I figure is one reason they were replaced with the much simpler fatigue blouse when the army started massive increases in personnel once the war started. Contact me off-list if you're interested.

Comment

Hi,

My experience with the Homespun patterns is that in the larger sizes (I wear a 46 too) the grading goes quite astray. I have a friend who does period patterning and she had to help me quite a bit to get the pattern to work. They are graded evenly over all parts of the body which makes parts like the shoulder seam (from your neck to the edge of the shoulder) be way too long.

If you have the help of a very experienced person, Homespun may be a good starting point. However, if you're still new to sewing, I would steer clear of it.

Just my experience.

Cheers,

Will Eichler
                            Botsford Mess
                            Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
                            Saginaw City Light Infantry
                            Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
                            Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
                            http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition