Frock coat pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frock coat pattern?

Alpaca is woven from the fleece of the alpaca, just like wool is woven from the fleece of sheep. It had a very fine, hard finish, same as you can get with wool today if you want. I just bought some black wool twill sold as "Italian superfine" with the same general kind of smooth finish, though of course it's wool and not alpaca.

The original examples I've seen have generally faded to two different colors, greenish black in the weft and brown in the warp (from memory--I might have got those reversed). It's possible they were actually two different colors to begin with, but I'm betting the green was at least black. So I'm wondering if the original fabric was an alpaca weft, woven in a twill with the float to put most of the alpaca on the surface, and some other warp. Anyone know?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

for aplaca you might find this place can help out here is there web site just found there site today looks like they have some nice blankets too
      Handspinning, Handweaving and Hand Dyeing in Vermont

hope this helps
      your pard
      Tyler Goodrich
      Soon to be rowdy pard
      once back from Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
        I'm like you. I've seen it mentioned several times, and find it hard to think it is wool, but it may be. The 2 artillery frocks I've looked at, had linings that LOOKED like black linen, but seeing how nothing else from that era is what it appears to be today, it probably ain't.

Frocks are definately not for beginers, but they aren't as hard as some of the other things I've sewn. But on that point I digress, one of my pards sews very well and won't even attempt trowsers, even though I find them quite easy to sew.

Clark

What you described is black alpaca. It often has a greenish cast today. To my knowledge there is only one correct pattern in entire country and it is closely guarded by three to four people. It was drafted from a dissasembled original back when there were originals aplenty to do this to.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Oh that I know Robert, that I know. Ain't nothing like having a little corner on the market. But I got a secret I ain't tellin yet. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
            Oh that I know Robert, that I know. Ain't nothing like having a little corner on the market. But I got a secret I ain't tellin yet. :D

Me too.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
              Clark

To my knowledge there is only one correct pattern in entire country and it is closely guarded by three to four people. It was drafted from a dissasembled original back when there were originals aplenty to do this to.

Highly over rated.

Mark Mason
              Tarwater Mess
              [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
              [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
              [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by markmason
                Highly over rated.

Mark Mason
                Tarwater Mess
                Mark
                Im interested to hear your reasons as to why you feel this. Feel free to contact me off forum. keepnhoakalive@yahoo.com
                Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X