Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlefield Pickups

To all:

I have been in WBTS living history since 1997. I still try to attend an event or two when I have leave off from the Army.
    As a note: I have served for the past 4 years in a Quartermaster Battalion in the modern US Army and while in Iraq for 14 months. Here are my personal observations on the "battlefield pickups" and troop issuing equipment situation in modern-day warfare below. (Note: it might have been different during the WBTS- transportation and supply was certainly not as regular as we have it today in the Army, but human mentality changes very little over the ages.)

-I was attached as a military trainer to the Iraqi Army. I am in the Army, but I worked mostly with Marines and Iraiqs. I was the supply officer to my team as well as the supply liason/trainer to a 250+ Iraqi battalion. Since my nearest supply warehouse was Marine-run, I wore Marine-issue equipment. I made sure to wear my patrol cap (which is Army-pattern ACU) and Army 1LT or CPT rank so everyone knew I was in the Army when I wore my Marine flight suit. I NEVER wore Marine Utilities because this would look "too Marine" and I wasn't- I'm an Army officer. But the desert sand colors of equipment (magazine pouches/goggles/pattern of eyewear/gunner's gloves, in particular) I wore were solely Marine once my Army stuff was broken or lost. We thought, who cares- it was good quality equipment and provided we didn't look "too Marine" then we could use the equipment. I was even issued the older DCU pattern equipment when I was downrange due to the fact our Army-run warehouses didn't have any more current ACU-pattern- they simply ran out of the "good stuff" so I was given old stuff and had to give that to my fellow transition-team members.
    From a supply officer's point-of-view think about it: You issue what you've got and provided it isn't obscuring someone's branch-of-service with another branch and giving a false uniform, you are good-to-go.

-We went into Kuwait with older DCU equipment issued to us from our home-station supply activity. All at one time in Kuwait, my battle rattle uniform had BDU, DCU and ACU patterns of equipment at one time in used and new condition. Bear in mind- I am an Army regular officer. I saw some Minnesota National Guardsmen and other Reservists with ALL ACU-pattern equipment with the latest and best backpacks their state could buy them. The were better outfitted than I was and I am a regular officer!

-As far as "battlefield pickups" are concerned. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen insurgents with American/Soviet pieces of equipment. Remember the picture of Zarqawi firing a M249 SAW??? That was an American-made weapon by FN of Columbia SC. How'd he get that? (He didn't know how to use the darn thing anyway.) ;) Iraqi soldiers would use US equipment in a heartbeat because their own supply lines were awful and US stuff was better in design and quality.

- Generally, in battle, if a piece of equipment is of better quality, fit, or pattern than the one you got issued, then you'll use it. Who cares if it came from a dead guy? Now Americans wouldn't use Iraqi equipment because it was inferior, but I know many US advisors that have an extra AK-47 in their kit with ammo because it's nice to have a full-auto backup weapon to your M-16 or M4 carbine. You can check one out from the Iraqi battalion generally. You might use a shemaugh (Arab checkered headcloth) under your helmet for warmth or to prevent dust from getting in your throat.

Sorry, guys, knowing what I know from working in and with a military warehouse in actual battle, human mentality and military mentality doesn't change. If you were Confederate, sometimes unless you were near a depot, you wouldn't even have supply lines left especially during the later years of the war. Knowing what I know about the mentalities of actual war and the military, I just cannot see a Confederate on the move and starving, refusing to replace his worn-out butternut jeancloth with a pair of brand-new sky blue Federal pants grabbed off of a dead Federal soldier. "No, these are not my correct uniform pattern" would be the LAST thing out of his mouth- trust me. Soldiers aren't like that. You take what you can get- especially if you are in want of better. In the instance of not always having pictoral evidence to provide information, remember that many after-battle pictures were heavily propped and possible naked bodies were quickly clothed to preserve period sensibilities, so those pictures could be wrong. We have to bear that in mind when looking at a period picture- it COULD be as is, but it MIGHT be staged. Also, remember that it is easy to say some things when you are well-fed, reasonably warm, and nicely clothed on a reenactment weekend, but try to remember that many people had to find a way to clothe and feed themselves when they were on-campaign, many times without regular supply.

BLUF: You use what you got, but if you can get better, then by all means do so. Just don't look too much like the enemy or another branch-of-service to avoid confusion. Who give a darn what pattern it is or color...

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

PS- I cannot tell where I was or any more specifics due to OPSEC, but the above is true to what I experienced for 14 months.
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Mr. Brenner and Mr. Badget,

Ref: Utoy Creek "Trade"

The Orphan Bdge soldier traded his "spoon bill cap" for the sombrero- he didn't steal it. Obvioulsy not a fair trade- No doubt a kepi didn't help keep the Georgia sun off his neck. Interesting example of caps being used at the time by CS boys.

Joe Walker

(grew up on the Utoy battlefield)

Comment

Comrades,

regarding "Battlefield Pickups"... I always thought the best one was "Ya know, those are some nice lookin' breastworks you have there..."

Heh

Civil War Humour...

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

A question I have talked over and wondered, what about officer's Harrdee hats in the ranks as a pick up?
          Thanks
          John McClellan
          Fowlers Battery
          Last edited by John McClellan; 04-27-2007, 05:27 PM. Reason: Wrong Question

Comment

Mr. McCellan,

Gen McPherson's hat susposedly was "captured" by a member of Granbury's brigade when the Gen was killed at Atlanta. I believe it was the officer Hardee style. He claims he wore it after captured and could only think what would happen to him if his guards knew where he got his hat.

Joe Walker

Comment

To all:

I think we can all pretty much agree that "battlefiled pickups" were pretty common, but regular issue was very common as well. This might be true especially if you were a Federal with better access to better equipment.

In my research over the 10+ years I have been a living historian, it is terribly ignorant to say battlefield pickups weren't done commonly. But it is also just as ignorant to portray the ranks as -too- variated in issue (especially early war Confederate/Federal and a majority of Federal units) and this is particularly true for a proper Federal impression just about anywhere. Yes, we know both North and South had a 'veriform' at times but your average soldier had a regimental/battalion/company quartermaster that was worried about trying to supply his troops as best as he could. Plus, never underestimate the power of Private Joe Snuffy buying his own stuff from an uncrupulous sutler or trading his original kit for stuff he likes the looks of. Provided no one in your chain-of-command says anything about it and it isn't ostentatious or stand-out like a sore thumb, generally you can use it. That's still true to this day in our Army.

Bottom line: Do your research for a better impression. Remember battlefield pickups were common and likely, but if you find out your unit at the time you are trying to portray in the war was well-supplied, then by all means dress accordingly. But if you are a "hardcore" that doesn't believe it was done- just know, to a point varied issue of equipment STILL happens today as well as battlefield pickups if the equipment is better than yours. Now, wind back the clock 150 years and you'll get the idea that soldiers don't change.

Another word-of-caution about period images: Remember your average soldier would try his best to look sharp for the camera and his family/sweetheart that the photo was intended for. This was, and still is, impressive to those civilians you are trying to impress.

I don't know about you, but I'd like to 'look military' if I could for an important photograph.

So, put on your best traps, cut/comb your hair and shine your brass! But don't say cheese for your ambrotype... especially if you don't have good teeth.

;)

Yours-
              Johnny Lloyd

GBOH
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Comrades,

As to CS soldiers uysing Federal equipment, I would argue against to much of it being "battlefield pickup" and, rather, argue in fovaor of it being obtained through CS issue.

Reading through "The Wartime Papers of Robert E. Lee", there are numerous accounts from him about the numbers, the sheer volume of equipment gathered up from the battlefield. The army had assigned trams to go over the field and recover any and all serviceable items (and many that weren't) and these were forwarded to depots to be sorted through, rebuilt,/refurbished as needed, and reissued to CS troops.

In fact, it is my own opinion (and nothing more) that a great deal of the federal canteens seen of CS troops are reissued fedral items from the CS Quartermaster. Same for Cartridge boxes and other equipments.

One other thing to consider, and I only toss this out for discussion, but is it at all possible that the use of indigo blue facings on the "CD" jackets, and others, might be the result of the reuse of captured federal coats and jackets? Cutting them up for trim seems to me a very good use for them.

Respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

Howdy All,
                  My cousin served 2 tours in Nam with Army Special Forces, and I recall him telling me that he and his buddies would use NVA backpacks when they could get them, as they generally were a more compact and comfortable fit than Army issue. Best regards.
                  Last edited by Secesh; 04-30-2007, 12:02 PM. Reason: MISSPELLING
                  Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                  Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                  Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                  Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                  KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Although not a battlefield pickup, it does speak to the Union Army issuing captured footwear. This from a soldier in the 13th New Jersey Infantry, during the winter of 1862-1863 in Stafford County, Virginia.

"I learned that my Uncle David, a lieutenant in the Thirty-fifth New Jersey, was at Aquia creek, and obtained a pass to go and see him. It involved a walk over five or six miles through the thickest and deepest mud. When I reached his camp my trousers were besmeared to the knees and my shoes were filled with the red pigment. My uncle went to the sutler's and presented me with a nine-dollar pair of boots, coming to the knees. They were admirable for the purpose of keeping out of the mud, and I was heartily pleased with the present.

My uncle probably never knew what became of those boots. On the next march they hurt my feet so that I temporarily traded them with Cornelius Mersereau, one of my companions, for a pair of English shoes that had been captured from a blockade runner, bound for the Confederacy. There is no use talking, nothing is as good as low, flat broad-soled shoes for marching.

But I only intended the exchange to be temporary, till after we had concluded the march. Alas, Mersereau was killed in the next battle, and his feet swelled so that I could not pull off the boots, and they were buried with him at Chancellorsville."

- Joseph E. Crowell, The Young Volunteer: The Everyday Experience of a Soldier Boy in the Civil War (Patterson, N.J.: Joseph E. Crowell, 1906) p. 354

Eric
                    Eric J. Mink
                    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I will quote and cite this when not at work (I believe I most recently read it in volume 2 of Foote's narrative), but before the Federal withdrawal from Fredricksburg many of the Union dead below Marye's Heights were stripped after nightfall so that their warmer clothing could be used by the freezing Confederates. Also I recall something from the same battle where a southerner tried to remove a shoe from a fallen Federal. After the man, now discovered to be sleeping, raised his head indignantly at the disturbance, the rebel lowered the man's leg, saying "beg your pardon, sir. I thought you'd gone above." or something to that effect.

Of course, you can't forget Jeb Stuart's capture of Pope's uniform in retribution for losing his hat. :-p
                      Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
                      Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                      Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
                      <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
                      <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

John Worsham of the 21st Virginia "picked up" several Yankee haversacks during the War, two of which were directly off the battlefield from dead yankees- from which he ate the contents. (according to his "One of Jackson's Foot Cavalry") Need to survive + availabilty = what ever it takes. Death to many young farmers was common place when killing hogs, other livestock on the farm- not many of us can say that today. One soldier states that he became so indifferent to the dead that he thought of them as if so many dead hogs and didn't mind lying among them to sleep.

Joe Walker

Comment

For what it's worth,

I read an account on the 64th Ohio at Shiloh. They were never put in action until the fighting was over and spent the night on the field with the dead and dying. They had also lost their packs due to the wagons getting hung up in the mud. So they robbed a bunch of blankets from the confederate dead. A group of them actually gathered around one Rebel leaning against a tree that was wrapped in a blanket slowly dying and patiently waited for him to expire before arguing over who gets his blanket! Another member of the 65th Ohio (the 64ths sister regiment in the brigade) took a blanket from one of the dead and then went to find his sgt. which he promised to share the blanket with. After he was sastified he found the sgt. he laid the blanket across the two of them and slept soundly. Only to find out the next morning that he was actually snuggled up with a dead Rebel.

Mark Carey
                          -64th Ohio-
                          -Devils own mess-

Comment

where is it stipulated that soldiers only picked stuff up "in the heat of battle?" When an army (especially one of the Confederate armies) held the field of battle there are numerous mentions of touring the carnage after the engagement. Here is where I would think that many of those pickups would occur.

It didn't only have to happen when the minies were flying.
                            Andrew Quist
                            Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
                            www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

Lon Keim's buckle book has several photos of union men wearing CS frame type buckles!

The Mad MIck!!!
                              Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

A soldier in the 2nd Wisconsin picked up what he only describes as a "brass mounted Confederate rifle" on the first day at Gettysburg. We're not exactly sure what he meant by that description, as there were a number of Confederate shoulder arms that involved brass furniture, nor is there any indication of how long he toted his trophy around. Pretty obvious, though, that it didn't come through any supply channel.
                                Rob Weaver
                                Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                                "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                                [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X