Living History Safety Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living History Safety Regulations

Gang - need some links to what you consider to be the most well written, sane and safe sets of safety rules for reenacting (infantry). Out here we are governed by a set of rules and procedures borrowed from another state (because that is where many of the events take place) that are "a little different." Things like a minimum direct (rifles level) infantry firing distance of only 30' (that is 360 inches - scary), no string on rifle/musket cartridges (projectile?), and a recent change in the other state's procedures that has them going to full cock on "aim" (rather than "ready" as per the manuals) are a few of the things that concern us.

The artillery guys out here are real pro's, it's the infantry rules we want to update.

This will govern events in our state and hopefully, support change in the neighboring state. If this sounds a little different, it is. Organizations in our corner of the country are geo-centric, rather than impression-centric or based on the level of authenticity, and they govern an entire state and any event held in that state.

Never liking to reinvent the wheel, I need your help. There are so many links out there, I was hoping you smart guys could point me to some particularly good examples.

thanks!
    Last edited by DougCooper; 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Living History Safety Regulations

Maryland's are pretty good, modeled after the Federal gudelines but allows for tactical demonstrations

Hope this helps!
    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Good topic, gents. I will move this to the Event Hosting forum since I feel this discussion is more about the mehanics of event hosting (safety, organization, logistics, communications, etc.).
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks guys. Johnny as you said these are generally for governing conduct at events. Will check out Maryland's. Because there is no war out here, the individual state reenactment organizations, rather than a state park administration or the NPS are the keepers of the regs.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

Comment

We need to be self-policing regarding safety rules. This is a good place to start for anyone wanting to know how to host an event safely. :)
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I will say this as someone who has hosted/ran events on state and other sites you will never make everyone happy. The Maryland standards are pretty good, and easy to follow,and as a reenactor myself think they are fine, but we still get complaints, particualrry from artillery folks. Also, after being a historic weapons saftey officer it makes it harder to go to some events (streamer and farb fests mainly) as you see so much that is unsafe. Good luck!
            Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
            Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
            5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

If you haven't looked at it, get a copy of the NPS "Manual of Instruction for the Safe Use of Reproduction Percussion Muskets In Interpretive Demonstrations". They also have one for flintlocks and another for breech loading carbines. The link I had to it is dead, but I have the PDF files I down loaded. When we host an event here at Fort Sill and the Army Safety folks ask for a reference, I use the NPS reference. No use in re-inventing the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

The other advantage now that I think of it, NPS sites can't argue if you have the NPS manual. I'd be interested in how many have it or have read it just out of curiosity. Anyway, here is the percussion musket adobe file if I can do this right;19th Century Musket Drill, NPS.pdf
              Frank Siltman
              24th Mo Vol Inf
              Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
              Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
              Company of Military Historians
              Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

You go to forttejon.org they have the safty rules under the Civil War program section. They have been in use sense the 1980's with out any on major incidences.
                Andrew Grim
                The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
                x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
                Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Thanks gentlemen, this is good stuff. Have operated under the NPS guidelines many times, and Maryland, and agree its hard for someone to argue with those standards.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

Comment

But they do, Doug. They do.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                    X