Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to begin?

Greetings to all, North & South--

I am a 48 year old HS teacher living in Lebanon Ohio with a life-long obsession with all things Civil War (I hold an MA in American History, but my first interest comes by way of my great-grandfather (Amos Moore) was a member of the 33rd VA Infy, Stonewall Brigade, who fought at 2nd Manassas, Sharpsburg (wounded), Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg (where he lost most of an arm and was made a POW afterwards--I have many of his personal effects, including a written post-war remembrance of his experiences, a UCV medal from 1902, and a Union "wristbreaker" sword that I think was a war trophy--it has been bent by a ball and likely discarded). Anyway, ever since I saw my first reenactment (New Market VA in the mid 70s, near where my family hail from) I have wanted to participate, but always lacked either the time or the funds to do so. Now, I fear I am getting close to the age of absurdity, I fear, as I am now much older than most soldiers were (my gg was 19)!

As I have observed the hobby from afar, I have tried to figure out where I'd belong: I love both sides (don't we all?), and would like to portray both, but also feel I should start with the Union side for monetary and learning curve reasons. As I follow it, there has been a segregation of the hobby into hardcore and mainstream camps, which led me to your website. My heart wants to be with the former, of that I am certain, however, my age and lack of experience ever reenacting before tell me that only the mainstreamers would accept me! I am in fairly decent shape, and am a US Army veteran from my youth, but have never drilled with a Springfield, etc... My wife just thinks I am crazy for wanting to do this at all! However, I have gone from devouring Civil War books of all sorts to a more recent preoccupation with first hand accounts/life of the common soldier, and it still isn't enough for me! Two years ago the school where I teach foolishly (IMO) decided to throw away all books that had not been checked out in 5 years--lucky for me, as I ended up with nice copies of The Life of Billy Yank, Johnny Reb, and others (including one that dated to 1896 entitled Recollections of a Drummer Boy)--reading them has me wanting to get closer to the period.

Thus, I have come to this forum to seek the advice of those who know. Teaching has made me fairly thick-skinned, so please do not hesitate to be honest! Am I too old to do authentic? Am I too green to do authentic!? On the flip side, most of you authentic campaigners likely started in mainstream units, so there must be some value in the experience...what did you like? What really bothered you? Of course, money is a concern here too--I cannot afford to equip and then re-equip! The rifle is my main concern, since they are so pricey. I know there are "defarbing" services for them, but this seems like even more expense. Any advice/opinion on these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely and Respectfully,

John V. Sigler
    Lebanon, OH
    John Sigler

Re: Where to begin?

John,

Welcome to Civil War reenacting! In my experience in reenacting, age is just a number, and "hardcore" is in the eye of the beholder.

If you are physically fit enough to carry your belongings on your back, and willing to march a few miles, camp in the woods, shiver under an army blanket with your comrades, hope for hot coffee, but settle for cold coffee and a bit of hardtack, you will find fast friends on the authentic side of the hobby.

Your "lack of experience" is actually a pro and not a con. You haven't picked up any bad habits, or learned any "reenactorisms" yet.

I'm in my 40s, and I do just fine keeping up with the kids, and even besting some of them.

Whether you decide to go mainstream, or more authentic, that is up to you and what you want to get out of the hobby. Personally, when I switched over to going to more quality events, I have had a lot more fun even though the conditions may have seemed a lot worse. (And I've never missed ditching the chair)

Again, welcome, and if you have any specific questions, ask away...
    Daniel Griego
    "Elmer Divens"
    High Private
    Woodtick Mess

Comment

Welcome John,
      With your love of history and obsession with all things Civil War you are indeed in the right place. As far as age is concerned, I am 52 and have been in this hobby for many years. As long as you are fit enough to keep up on the march you are a candidate for campaigning. The question is what do you want out of the experience?
      Basically, if you would like your wife to participate with you, to sleep in an A tent on straw or a cot then the mainstream side of the hobby is what you are looking for. On the other hand, if your desire is to get as close to the experience of you soldier ancestor (sleeping on the ground, eating field rations and carrying everything on your back) then a campaigner impression is for you.
      The most important thing is finding a reputable, authentically minded unit. The combined experience of the members of such an organization will serve you well when it comes to purchasing gear and developing an authentic soldier impression.
      Welcome aboard and the best of luck John!
      Ryan Thornton

Comment

John,
        I hope 48 isn't the cut off cause I will be 49 in a couple months.......

Welcome to the forum and with the right attitude and interest, you will be welcomed in any unit.
        Rob Bruno
        1st MD Cav
        http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Welcome to the hobby, John.

I'm sort of a 'late bloomer' myself in that I started this about a year ago at age 44. Some rookie advice I can offer:
          * Don't feel like you have to buy everything at once. Most units will be happy to help with lending you stuff while you build up your kit.
          * Start with a good hat and shoes. Save your weapon for last.
          * No shame in buying quality, used gear. For me, my hat, shoes, drawers, and trousers are the only items I purchased brand new. Used gear has saved me a ton of money.
          * When you're ready to purchase a weapon, and if you opt for a used one, I (in my limited experience) have found that the pickings are great from December - February.
          * Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck and have fun!
          Kent Baxley

Comment

John,

I live in Mason, Ohio...just down the road. I am the one who approved your registration for the AC. Guess what? I'm older than you! I am going to send you a private message soon about what you can do in our area.
            Ken Cornett
            MESS NO.1
            Founding Member
            OHIO
            Mason Lodge #678, PM
            Need Rules?

Comment

John,
              Welcome to the forum. I started last summer. Aged 42. I have learned a lot from this site and am thrilled to see I am not alone in getting a late start on this hobby, which also has my wife thinking I am crazy! however, it has increased her interest (and my young kids' interest) in learning more about the Civil War, so definitely a win!
              Michael Cairns

Comment

John -

Wanted to echo everyone else's welcome and assurances that your age shouldn't be an issue. Like a lot of guys here, I took the traditional mainstream-to-campaigner pipeline as I realized mainstream reenacting just wasn't giving me what I was looking for. I would definitely recommend going to an event or two with a campaigner unit (sounds like Ken is going to hook you up with something local) and trying it out before deciding if that's the way you want to approach the hobby, since it's certainly not for everyone. Highly recommend holding off on buying gear until you've tried the hobby out a couple times and decide it's for you. But when you do, I echo the earlier comments about starting with a good pair of shoes (and glasses if you require them), as most units will gladly loan you gear for your first couple events, and then looking for quality used gear to save a few bucks. Having reenacted for both sides, your instincts about Federal reenacting are pretty accurate - you can generally get by with fewer uniform pieces for a good Federal kit and there's far more primary Federal sources, photos, etc... upon which to build an impression (since many Confederate records were lost in the war's closing phases). And the hobby can always use more Federal reenactors! But if you find yourself really bitten by the reenacting bug, there are plenty of reenactors out there with both a blue and grey jacket in the closet.

Welcome to the forum, welcome to the hobby, and best of luck!

P.S. As the commander of the reconstituted Stonewall Brigade, I would love to get some pictures of your ancestor's personal effects to add to my research on the Brigade. My email is austin.williams63@gmail.com. If you ever find yourself out east for one of the bigger events and want to fall in with the Stonewall Brigade, just let me know!
                Capt. Austin J. Williams
                Company A "The Marion Rifles"
                5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
                The Stonewall Brigade

Comment

John:

As Ken said, you are right in our neck of the woods. Here is our web site:

http://mess1.homestead.com/
                  ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

Thanks!

John Sigler

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Ryan.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Kent

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Michael.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Austin--I will try to get you those pics soon!
                    John Sigler

Comment

Thanks Eric--I love your site. Also, your Mess No 1 seems to be exactly what I am seeking out of the experience (as close as possible realism with knowledgeable members willing to to teach me, and of course, the camaraderie of a shared obsession with similarly afflicted folks)! I plan to meet with Ken soon and pepper him with questions. Thanks for the link to your outfit--I look forward to eventually joining (if my resources were limitless, I'd already be there).

Thanks again,

John Sigler
                      Lebanon, OH
                      John Sigler

Comment

John,
                        In reading your initial post, my reaction was:
                        Worry less about age, "North-v-South" portrayals, etc. Just get with a good group of guys that (1) you "click with", and (2) do the hobby right.

Jump in with both feet!

Mess No. 1 is a great start.

Welcome!
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thanks John. That is my intent--if I cannot do this right I will not do it. I am going to start assembling my uniform, slowly, starting next month.

Thanks for the encouragement!

John Sigler
                          John Sigler

Comment

John,

When I read your post it struck a familiar chord. I have been in a veritable ACW re-enacting desert for the last 15 years as a consequence of my work. Obviously I'm not getting younger, but am still ready to jump into it when I finally find myself somewhere where it's an option. As for your age, I have you beat by a few years. To scratch the reenacting itch, I spent a few years in Napoleonic reenacting overseas and never felt like I couldn't keep up. Of course now I have the 1815 Belgian Manual of Arms and drill commands stuck in my head. But it wasn't Civil War related and was never as satisfying as I would have liked. The other thing I did was to begin deliberately building my future Civil War impressions over time and used only the best I could find (many thanks to what I have discovered on A/C). It's not as financially painful spread out over 10 years and keeps the desire burning. I suspect wherever I end up, I'll already have 90% of the gear I need for whatever unit will take me. So please do get involved because you won't regret it and you'll serve as a model for people like me so we won't give up the dream.

Craig Ross
                            Craig D. Ross

Comment

Working...
                            X